AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Esoteric Audio

Esoteric Audio World Class cost no object Electronics

Old 09-23-2018, 08:11 PM

Yeah Redbook is insanely good even on the non-s. I forgot, I had heard about the s having no filter type choices like the k1.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:13 PM

George,
I see. Actually they've eliminated all FIR and SDLY filter settings previously available for PCM (incl CD). The DSD filter remains for DSD (incl SACD) as before. (I've always left this one 'off' for whatever that's worth).
Old 10-04-2018, 11:30 PM

Quick update as I now have right at 300 hours on the unit ... I know I know be patient ... :-) ... One thing I can already say with certainty is that it retrieves more detail from Redbook CD's than I've ever heard off of a rip. Some of the early digital recordings that just seem to sound kind of edgy and flat on other players just sound much more right on the Esoteric. Kinda reminds me a little of my old CAL Aria MKIII with Redbook in that it sounded very full and had a large holographic soundstage and even though many of the CD's I bought back then ended up sounding terrible on much more modern cd players they always sounds pretty darn good on the Aria ... seems a little bit like I'm back to the future here. Now ... I'm not saying it makes terrible recordings great because it most certainly does not as its brutally revealing so bad recordings beware. Just saying that maybe a bit of the sound stage size and warmth of the Aria might be aluded to here. :-)

On DSD over USB its still too close to call between the K-01Xs and the EMM Labs DA-2. That is clearly where the DA-2 excels and honestly I'll be surprised if the K-01Xs can equal it but we will see. Ok ... so maybe it wasn't quite a quick update ...

George
Old 10-05-2018, 01:03 AM

I'd like to know how close K-01Xs is to K1.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:16 AM

Sounds like the Emm still edges it out...?
Old 10-05-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
Sounds like the Emm still edges it out...?
It does on DSD so far. As big as the esoteric sound stage is the DA2 is even larger and more holographic sounding. Imaging is more precise on the K-01xs. Once I get it fully broken in it may change because the K-01Xs is closing the gap each additional week of play right now. We will see ...

George
Old 10-05-2018, 08:54 AM

[QUOTE=brodricj;934380]I'd like to know how close K-01Xs is to K1

K1 is definitely better. I just ran across a crazy good deal on this particular unit and this gets me spinning discs again. Was using my Oppo as a transport and wasn’t thrilled with the sound. This even when used as a transport only is amazing with my DA-2. Just hoping that it’s close enough to then DA-2 as a USB dac so I can sell the DA2. Right now though the DA2 is quite a bit better especially on DSD. Down the road I’ll do one of the big stacks but considering last year I bought Levinson No52 Ref, No 536 monos, Wilson Sasha 2s, VPI Avenger and MIT Oracle loom I’m gonna need to wait a second on the digital “stack”

George
Old 10-05-2018, 09:07 AM

OK, that leads to the next obvious question. How close is K1 when used as a Transport compared to P1? I got a good deal on P1, same price as K1. Maybe P1 will be replaced with new model soon?
Old 10-05-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
OK, that leads to the next obvious question. How close is K1 when used as a Transport compared to P1? I got a good deal on P1, same price as K1. Maybe P1 will be replaced with new model soon?

How the K1 would compare to the P1 I think would depend on your Dac. The Esoteric separates support a different connection method (Es-Link)which seems to add to their substantial performance advantage when paired together. The K1 and K-01xs don’t support that protocol so if you had the D-02x or Grandioso separates I would think the P1 would be the obvious winner. If connecting to some other brand which doesn’t support their proprietary connection you would would lose SACD playback but the difference in Redbook performance would probably be closer at that point I’m guessing.

As far as new models go ...

who knows? Someone does ... not me as I always guess wrong.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
How the K1 would compare to the P1 I think would depend on your Dac. The Esoteric separates support a different connection method (Es-Link)which seems to add to their substantial performance advantage when paired together. The K1 and K-01xs don’t support that protocol so if you had the D-02x or Grandioso separates I would think the P1 would be the obvious winner. If connecting to some other brand which doesn’t support their proprietary connection you would would lose SACD playback but the difference in Redbook performance would probably be closer at that point I’m guessing.

As far as new models go ...

who knows? Someone does ... not me as I always guess wrong.
+1 !!!