AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 03-08-2017, 01:06 PM

Default TAS Denali review

Hi Everyone,

Just an FYI. Robert Harley has covered the Hydra Denali Series products in the current issue of TAS. His review has also been posted on-line:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...ioning-system/

Robert's is likely the most comprehensive review we've received from either of the US print magazines. We were pleased to see that his conclusions and descriptions were consistent with comments from other magazines such as Audio Beat and AudioStream as well as the posted opinions from customers here and elsewhere.

No product in any category will enjoy universal success, but the results have been consistent enough that we feel good about the design direction Caelin has followed. As new products come to market, they should continue to show progress down the path we started down 18 years ago.

Thanks to Ivan and everyone here at AA for your encouragement and support over the years.

Best regards,

Grant, Caelin.

Last edited by GrantS; 03-08-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:33 PM

Hi Grant, I'd be interested in your impressions of the Denali system versus the Triton V3/Typhon combo (I have the latter). I've been enjoying my Triton v3 upgrade, and am curious, Triton V3 is still considered the flagship power distribution product?

In my electronics, I use the Triton v3, Typhon, and DPC-6 v2, with mostly Anaconda signal cables and Sigma power cords.
System: Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon/DPC-6v2, Defender, Anaconda /Sigma power cords and interconnects, Linn LP12, Ayre P-5xe, dCS Vivaldi full stack, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre MX-R Twenty, Wilson Alexia Series 2 Speakers
Old 03-09-2017, 01:16 PM

Hi Jax,

Yes, yours would be the current reference set up. Robert Harley has not had access to the Triton v3 as yet.

Triton v3 versus Denali 6000/T or S model

When comparing the Denali 6000 to the Triton v3 the most notable difference is the physical presence of instruments and voice are more boldly presented by the Triton v3. Instruments, especially the dimension and tonal color, come across as more vividly portrayed; more corporeal (full bodied). Speed and dimensionality (weight in space) were emphasized and there was more pop and weight in the lower-octaves. The attack, or first-order harmonic of bass, strings, drum and piano—no question the Triton v3 is more immediate (you can “feel” the sound more obviously with the Triton v3). With digital sources, the Denali is subjectively quieter by comparison, but the Triton v3 comes close and has greater immediacy and pitch-articulation. In terms of delicacy of notes in the decay, or the third-order harmonic, perhaps the Denali is more objectively quiet, but in listening tests the two units are both SOTA in that category.

The Hydra Triton v3 borrows from the Denali technology for amps. The QR/BB modules Caelin designed for the Denali are massively over-sized within the Triton v3. The Tv3 Noise Isolation Chambers are also larger than the Denali, because there is more space to work with. The CCI filters on each outlet updated in the Triton v3, as well. The Denali 6000 models do have the new massive filters Caelin designed for medical and scientific applications, which are not in the Triton v3. If you have a Tv2, the difference is evident within a few notes and is not at all subtle.

In deference to the Denali models, there are differences in presentation that may favor some systems or listeners, but the Triton v3 is objectively better in most regards and represents the definition of a performance reference. The Triton v3 updates offer a dramatic performance improvement that few component upgrades could match.

I hope this helps, Jax.

Grant
Old 03-09-2017, 02:55 PM

I have my Triton V2 currently undergoing the upgrade to V3 at Shunyata. I loved the V2 with my Typhon.

I don't have a DPC-6 v2 and my system doesn't need one at this point, but I'm curious if the Denali/Triton V3 technology, or upcoming flagship cables, will make the DPC-6 v2 redundant in practice.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 03-09-2017, 03:43 PM

I've not yet done the logistics of the upgrades yet.

My plan is upgrading 2xTritons v2 -> v3 which serves my powered front array of speakers, preamps and electronics.

I'm getting a Denali for my audioserver/switches/routers/powered surround speaker.
My thinking is that the Denali is sort of a DPC6 v3 with 2 HC outlets.

Last edited by Crion; 03-09-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:20 AM

How does the DPC6 now compare?
Home Theater: Sonos->MCD1100,Oppo 105D,Cary 306/200,MVP-871->SP3->C500T->MC501x3+MC402x2+MC252->PL300+F113x2+PL350+4xPL InWall+PL100,PL100 in games room,VPL-VW500ES, Shunyata Sigma HCx3, Shunyata Analogx2, Alpha HCx2, Alpha Digital, Wire World Silver Electra x8
Great Room: BDP-09FD,Sonos->MCD500->MX119->MC501x3+2xMA700s->PL200+PLC150+GRFX+F112,PRO-141FD
Kid's Room: Sonos,Oppo 95->MX119->HCA1200mkii+4xMA700s->GR20s+FB210+GRLCR+2xGRFX,PRO-101FD
Home Gym: Sonos->Oppo 105->MC252->GR10s+FB210,TC-P55ST60
Office at work: Cary 306/200, Michell Gyro SE w/TechnoArm+Meastro Wood->6900->GR10s+SB12-Plus
Cottage: iPod,Oppo 95->Marantz SR7009->PSB Silver+ GRLCR+Silver FXi, MA700+PSB Mini in sunroom
Old 03-10-2017, 11:33 AM

Grant

Read the article last night in TAS. Mr Harley appears to be under the impression that the Denali series was built to replace the Triton. Many times he eluded to how much improvement there was in the Denali compared to the Triton/Typhon it replaced.

Seems like a review sample of the Triton V3 needs to be placed in his hands ASAP to help clear any misconceptions or many are going to stop buying the Triton and settle for the Denali.

Edward
PreAmp: Audio Research Ref 6
Amp: ML 536 (2), Rotel 1552 (3), Rotel 1585
Speakers: Focal Maestro EVO, Focal 1000 Utopia Center, Focal 1000 IW6 side/rear surrounds, Focal 1000 IW6 X4 Ceiling, Rel G2 X 2 subs, Martin Logan 1500 X 2 subs, B&W 805D2 in master bedroom
Video: JVC NZ8 Projector
Power: Shunyata Everest, Sigma XC (1), Sigma NR (1), Sigma Analog (2), Alpha HC (2), Alpha Digital (2), Alpha Analog (1), Viper(1), Venom Digital(1)
Cables: Shunyata Anaconda SC, Anaconda IC (2), Shunyata Sigma USB, Shunyata Sigma XLR X 2, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, Shunyata Clock Alpha X 2, Sigma x 1
Old 03-10-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward3132 View Post
Grant

Read the article last night in TAS. Mr Harley appears to be under the impression that the Denali series was built to replace the Triton. Many times he eluded to how much improvement there was in the Denali compared to the Triton/Typhon it replaced.

Seems like a review sample of the Triton V3 needs to be placed in his hands ASAP to help clear any misconceptions or many are going to stop buying the Triton and settle for the Denali.

Edward
My feelings too, Ed. He seemed to imply the Typhon wasn't relevant anymore, but that's part of their reference setup...I traded in my Triton v2 for the v3, and it's been stunning experiencing the improvements...I can confirm all of Grant's observations, at least in my own system. Robert's review makes me wonder what the gap is between the Denali and the Triton, still.
System: Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon/DPC-6v2, Defender, Anaconda /Sigma power cords and interconnects, Linn LP12, Ayre P-5xe, dCS Vivaldi full stack, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre MX-R Twenty, Wilson Alexia Series 2 Speakers
Old 03-10-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax4736 View Post
My feelings too, Ed. He seemed to imply the Typhon wasn't relevant anymore, but that's part of their reference setup...I traded in my Triton v2 for the v3, and it's been stunning experiencing the improvements...I can confirm all of Grant's observations, at least in my own system. Robert's review makes me wonder what the gap is between the Denali and the Triton, still.
The article did imply that the Typhon was not relevant anymore. I forgot to mention that as well.

I am convinced that an upgrade from my Triton V2 to V3 would give me a significant improvement. I have been thinking about adding a Typhon but now it appears to be a big question mark.
PreAmp: Audio Research Ref 6
Amp: ML 536 (2), Rotel 1552 (3), Rotel 1585
Speakers: Focal Maestro EVO, Focal 1000 Utopia Center, Focal 1000 IW6 side/rear surrounds, Focal 1000 IW6 X4 Ceiling, Rel G2 X 2 subs, Martin Logan 1500 X 2 subs, B&W 805D2 in master bedroom
Video: JVC NZ8 Projector
Power: Shunyata Everest, Sigma XC (1), Sigma NR (1), Sigma Analog (2), Alpha HC (2), Alpha Digital (2), Alpha Analog (1), Viper(1), Venom Digital(1)
Cables: Shunyata Anaconda SC, Anaconda IC (2), Shunyata Sigma USB, Shunyata Sigma XLR X 2, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, Shunyata Clock Alpha X 2, Sigma x 1
Old 03-10-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward3132 View Post
The article did imply that the Typhon was not relevant anymore. I forgot to mention that as well.

I am convinced that an upgrade from my Triton V2 to V3 would give me a significant improvement. I have been thinking about adding a Typhon but now it appears to be a big question mark.
I don't know that Robert implied the Typhon is not relevant. Based on design differences internally, the Denali models may not be as responsive as the Triton models to the performance gains Typhons impart, however, there are several Denali owners that use the Typhons with them and report benefits.

The Typhon with a Triton v3 is simply amazing. Even more than with the v2, the Typhon virtually doubles-up on the v3's obvious advantages in timing, dynamics and solidity in presenting images three-dimensionality in space.

The Triton v3 and Typhon combo are significantly better in performance compared to the Denali, which presents sound differently, very organically and with incredible silence. Compared to the v2, I believe the Denali's are better in some key respects. In the right system (largely digital and solid state), the Denali's could be preferred to both Triton v2/Typhon because they isolate noise and focus sound so incredibly well, effortlessly.

Caelin's intention for the The Triton v3 was to incorporate the signature elements of the Denali technologies, but in a larger format. Based on feedback, I believe that has been very successful.

The central idea behind the upgrade to the v3 was to maintain the Triton's reference status, but also have a product at a more affordable price in Denali that represents something of a watershed in performance/value and brings the new technologies Caelin has been working on to the fore. I think Robert's review reflects that we've at the very least, achieved the goal of lowering the cost of truly remarkable performance. We're ok with that.

Thanks for the considerate questions.

Grant
Shunyata Research

Last edited by GrantS; 03-10-2017 at 03:21 PM.