AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 01-09-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Jeff, sounds great. I used ISO-Wall and ISO-Ceiling approach to my theater as well as all ASC treatments as you have probably seen from my theater pics. The results are nothing short of amazing. Do run the calculations for the dimensional proportions but I don't think you want to go any narrower than 14 ft and even that is a little limiting. I know that square rooms pretty much suck when it comes to good sounding rooms but I'd go something like 16x20x9 to give yourself a bit more width for a better soundstage and speaker elbow room for them to breathe properly. Most of the anomalies you will face as you get away from perfect dimensions, you should be able to compensate with some bass traps. Good luck with your project!
I agree the 14' width is a bit limiting.....will see how the numbers come out, I will make the room as big as possible with in the 20x20 space I have to work with. Being this room is strickly two channel there are some hard and fast rules I will need to follow since its not a HT room.....
Old 01-09-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChiaro View Post
I've got one question, Jeff...what did she get?

Congrats & look forward to seeing the progress!
Robert
New kitchen, new cherry hardwood floors through out the house, pretty much redoing the whole house inside
Old 01-09-2012, 06:13 PM

Width= 1.66 x Height and Length= 2.33 x Height (If your ceiling is 9ft) does put you at 14.4 ft for Width and 20.97 for Length for optimal dimensions. 14.5 ft for width is doable.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:17 PM

Room acoustics
Old 01-09-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Jeff, I was a die-hard 2 channel kind of a guy too.... I love my theater and the multi-channel does not get in the way of perfect 2 channel music what so ever.
I just have no desire for multi channel, its odd to be hearing the performers anywhere but in front of me on the stage.....I just really never got into the multi channel thing and I watch only a few movies a month so my modest HT in the family room works for me.....I have spent the last 30 years with good two channel systems and being I have stayed with that for this long I don't see my self changing.....
Old 01-09-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Width= 1.66 x Height and Length= 2.33 x Height (If your ceiling is 9ft) does put you at 14.4 ft for Width and 20.97 for Length for optimal dimensions. 14.5 ft for width is doable.
That's why I went with the 14' wide to start with....but will see how far I can go with out screwing things up too much....I'm in a room now that's 14.5 x19 and its very good so I have a good idea where I will end up with.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:07 PM

Sounds like an audio nirvana project to me Jeff.
Couldnt happpen to a nicer guy.

Enjoy the process and keep us in the loop.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:29 PM

Been doing some number crunching for the room size and think 15.75'x19.75'x9' may work nicely.....I will have a slight issiue starting around 350Hz into the 400Hz area but all the other deminsions seem to have problems down around 200Hz.....I think the higher freq. are easier to deal with so for now I good with these room sizes.

I'm also considering a Bamboo flooring, at the wood floor place I was looking at the Bella but strongly thinking the bamboo with dk cherry wood finish. its becomming a very popular product the past few years, its much more durable than any wood and the finish is as good or better than any wood product I have seen. I will be covering about 60-70% of the floor with a nice area rug.....My goal is to maintain some livelyness in the room with out killing the spaciuosness but keep the high freq. under control.....the ASC should handle those duties.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:52 PM

i have a room very, very close to those dimensions - 15.75 wide by 20.75 wide by 8.5 high. it's an ars designed room - pretty good sounding - a little bit of a bass bump - could use some traps - I think you'll be real good -especially since you plan on using traps.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trponhunter View Post
i have a room very, very close to those dimensions - 15.75 wide by 20.75 wide by 8.5 high. it's an ars designed room - pretty good sounding - a little bit of a bass bump - could use some traps - I think you'll be real good -especially since you plan on using traps.
I agree.....the traps should nail any issues I may have, also going a bit over 15' wide gives me a little over 4 feet of area behind the wall to get to the back of the gear, I going with racks on the side wall but will have custom solid core doors made to the width and height of the eq. racks.....I was thinking of built in eq. rack with the back open but decided doors behind the gear is a better option for me.