AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 05-04-2019, 07:09 PM

Default Original Hydra Power Cord recommendation?

Caelin or Grant, if you're listening...

I've had this Hydra since what, in product introduction terms, is the Year Zero, and it currently feeds my home office system. I'm considering moving it to my primary "serious" listening venue, my bedroom system, and wonder if replacing the original "year zero" Powersnakes power cord that came with it would effect an audible improvement.

For a cost-context reference, and as noted in the signature block below, the active system components consist of a laptop (wall wart), external hard drive (wall wart), ISO Regen fed by an Ultra Cap power supply (wall wart), out-of-production TEAC DAC (purchased used), and long-in-tooth c-j Sonographe captive-cord amp (used). (Note: If the Shunyata Alpha USB cable I have on order renders the existing USB cable/ISO Regen combination moot, I'll have one less wall wart to contend with.)

Given that system context and my fixed-income-retiree cost constraints, which, if any, current Shunyata power cord should I start saving my pennies for to, in effect, enhance the original Hydra's performance?

Thanks in advance.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:39 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Jim,
Any of the high-current capacity 20AMP C19 Shunyata power cables would work well.

Depending your budget, you could go with a Venom HC C19, used Black Mamba HC/CX, Zitron Cobra or Python HCs, or the new Delta or Alpha EF, NR PCs, etc.

In my experience (as I own both), even the orignal Venom 3 non-HC model notably outperformed the WW Electra 5^2, both with respect to lower noise floor and improved audio quality (and the difference was not subtle).

I'm currently using the WW Electra 5^2 to power the upstream transformer brick for my Uptone Audio LPS-1, but that's going to be "relegated" to non-audio power duties as soon as I get my Shunyata Venom 14 from MasterLu.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 05-04-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Jim,
Any of the high-current capacity 20AMP C19 Shunyata power cables would work well.

Depending your budget, you could go with a Venom HC C19, used Black Mamba HC/CX, Zitron Cobra or Python HCs, or the new Delta or Alpha EF, NR PCs, etc.

In my experience (as I own both), even the orignal Venom 3 non-HC model notably outperformed the WW Electra 5^2, both with respect to lower noise floor and improved audio quality (and the difference was not subtle).
Thanks, Stephen. You've given me a starting point.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtranr View Post

Caelin or Grant, if you're listening...

I've had this Hydra since what, in product introduction terms, is the Year Zero, and it currently feeds my home office system. I'm considering moving it to my primary "serious" listening venue, my bedroom system, and wonder if replacing the original "year zero" Powersnakes power cord that came with it would effect an audible improvement.

For a cost-context reference, and as noted in the signature block below, the active system components consist of a laptop (wall wart), external hard drive (wall wart), ISO Regen fed by an Ultra Cap power supply (wall wart), out-of-production TEAC DAC (purchased used), and long-in-tooth c-j Sonographe captive-cord amp (used). (Note: If the Shunyata Alpha USB cable I have on order renders the existing USB cable/ISO Regen combination moot, I'll have one less wall wart to contend with.)

Given that system context and my fixed-income-retiree cost constraints, which, if any, current Shunyata power cord should I start saving my pennies for to, in effect, enhance the original Hydra's performance?

Thanks in advance.
Hello Jim. The OG Hydra is indeed a rare classic. We built very few of them and they are still excellent performers. Let me tell you a short story. We had to sell every single Hydra we made just to make ends meet in the early days of Shunyata Rsearch. So that meant that in later years when we were making Hydra Model 8 and VRay’s, we didn’t have a single original Hydra. I was very happy when one of our customers called inquiring about a new Hydra VRay and I learned that he had one of the original Hydras. He had taken really good care of it so I offered to trade his OG for a new VRay. He was happy and I was happy. That Hydra sits in a display case in our company lobby today and will never be sold.

The power cord for the OG Hydra requires an unusual twist locking connector. This means that just buying a used cable will not be sufficient. You would have to have it reterminated with the correct connector. Does the power cord that you have say “Hydra HC” on it or something like that? If so, that is a pretty decent cord although it is a bit stiff compared to our later models. I would recommend getting a Venom Defender to give the Hydra some noise reduction.

If you want a better cord at a reasonable price, you could order the new Venom HC v2. My best recommendation for a high performance cord at a reasonable price (<500) would be the soon to be released Venom NR V10. The twist lock connector will cost you a bit more.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
Hello Jim. The OG Hydra is indeed a rare classic.
The power cord for the OG Hydra requires an unusual twist locking connector. This means that just buying a used cable will not be sufficient. You would have to have it reterminated with the correct connector. Does the power cord that you have say “Hydra HC” on it or something like that? If so, that is a pretty decent cord although it is a bit stiff compared to our later models. I would recommend getting a Venom Defender to give the Hydra some noise reduction.

If you want a better cord at a reasonable price, you could order the new Venom HC v2. My best recommendation for a high performance cord at a reasonable price (<500) would be the soon to be released Venom NR V10. The twist lock connector will cost you a bit more.
Thanks, Caelin. That's an interesting bit of history. And I'm glad--as I'm sure quite a number of audiophiles are--that you made ends meet.

Given the tight fit in its current location, I can't "read" the original power cord, but it's sheathed in a black textured jacket with a thin white diagonal stripe that apparently runs its full length.

I appreciate your recommendations and willl start saving my pennies for the Venom NR V10. I'll be sure to specify the twist-lock connector when I order it. (Ivan, please take note.)

Thanks again.

Last edited by jimtranr; 05-04-2019 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:57 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 05-26-2019, 04:11 PM

Default The original Hydra still has a lot of juice...

While awaiting likely-next-month delivery of a Venom 10NR power cord to replace the Sidewinder supplied with the original Hydra 19 years ago, I've moved the Hydra from the home office to the bedroom system to get a playback-seasoned point of reference on what the Venom will bring to the listening table.

The Hydra replaces a Blue Circle outlets-siliconed-onto-PVC Thingee power distributor. Because the Hydra won't fit into my current fixed-shelf audio rack (I'll build a Salamander-like replacement with threaded rods that aren't oily), it's temporarily parked atop four Stillpoints Ultra-Mini footers mounted on floor-sitting 2"-thick maple butcher blocks.

Right out of the gate, without any Sidewinder settling time, the Hydra said "screw my age" and blew the walls wide open with a much more detailed and spacious presentation, gut-belting dynamic punch, and transient quickness, enhancing the 'being there" sense of recordings mixed to achieve that illusion.

So why in heck did I wait so long to make the move? And how much further will I be sucked into the soundstage once the Venom gets here?

Old 05-26-2019, 05:53 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
While awaiting likely-next-month delivery of a Venom 10NR power cord to replace the Sidewinder supplied with the original Hydra 19 years ago, I've moved the Hydra from the home office to the bedroom system to get a playback-seasoned point of reference on what the Venom will bring to the listening table.

The Hydra replaces a Blue Circle outlets-siliconed-onto-PVC Thingee power distributor. Because the Hydra won't fit into my current fixed-shelf audio rack (I'll build a Salamander-like replacement with threaded rods that aren't oily), it's temporarily parked atop four Stillpoints Ultra-Mini footers mounted on floor-sitting 2"-thick maple butcher blocks.

Right out of the gate, without any Sidewinder settling time, the Hydra said "screw my age" and blew the walls wide open with a much more detailed and spacious presentation, gut-belting dynamic punch, and transient quickness, enhancing the 'being there" sense of recordings mixed to achieve that illusion.

So why in heck did I wait so long to make the move? And how much further will I be sucked into the soundstage once the Venom gets here?
Great description.

Once those "snakes" get ahold of you....you're a goner.

Enjoy.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:12 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:

Jim,
Based on a conversation with Caelin on another forum, I may be ordering a new Venom NR-V10 here, pretty soon as well.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Jim,
Based on a conversation with Caelin on another forum, I may be ordering a new Venom NR-V10 here, pretty soon as well.
I'm looking forward to the arrival of the one I've ordered, as I'm eager to hear how much more magic it might be able to elicit from my venerable Hydra. Saint Mrs. and I just finished a listening session, her first with the Hydra in the bedroom system, and she was impressed.

If you do order a 10, where's it going?