AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 11-13-2010, 10:20 PM

Default Saying Hello / Purchase Sophia III or Sasha Speakers?

Hello,

I am new to this forum; I stumbled upon it while surfing the internet trying to find information about Wilson Audio speakers. This is a very good find indeed!

I am interested in purchasing a pair of Wilson Audio speakers and would like to solicit your opinions.

Here is a list of my current gear:

Rogue Audio Apollo Monoblocks
Rougue Audio Hera II Preamp
Jolida JD100 Tube CD Player
Wilson Audio Sophia II Speakers

I am interested in purchasing another pair of Wilson Audio speakers and was wondering if I should get the Sophia III's or a pair of the Sasha's.

I tried searching the posts (via this website) to see if I could find anything posted about the Rogue Audio Apollo monoblocks but was not successful. Actually, I do not see much information about them in that many websites.

I am curious to read your recommendations about the choice of speakers (and reasons).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by rogueaudiodude; 11-18-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:55 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Hi Rogueaudiodude! Welcome aboard. Search for PHC1's threads regarding Sasha v. Sophia 3. I have to believe MC501's would handle Sophia 3's easily. There has been some talk of an impeadence dip in Sasha's and a need for an amp that could handle it, but I will let the technically proficient guys talk about that.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:03 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Rogueaudiodude Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 11-14-2010, 12:12 AM

Welcome Rogueaudiodude
Old 11-14-2010, 12:36 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Rogueaudiodude.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado. Great to see the red SUBSCRIBER banner right from the get-go.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 11-14-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Rogueaudiodude.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado. Great to see the red SUBSCRIBER banner right from the get-go.
That's commitment. I like that.
XLO - cables; Aural Symphonics - cords; Shunyata - cords
Old 11-14-2010, 08:57 AM

Welcome Rogueaudiodude. I have owned much Rogue Audio gear over the years and think their stuff is really good plus Mark O and Mark W can't be beat when it comes to service. They used to modify a lot of gear for me and always did an excellent job.

When I first bought my Sashas I had a MC402 and C2300. My room is on the large side at 20 X 36 X 9 and the 402 had no problem driving the Sashas to well over 95db as measured at the listening seat. As I recall, the meters rarely went past 40 watts.

So I assume the 501's would be more than sufficient for either the Sophia III or the Sashas. It's not so much the wattage that is important as the current and the Mac amps put out a lot of current and are stable into low impedance dips with their autoformer design.

While I really liked the Mac + Wilson combo, after auditioning several other amps it became clear that in my system and for my listening preferences the Mac amp sounded a little veiled in the midrange and rolled off in the bass and treble. So you might just try to audition the Sophia IIIs or Sashas with both your Mac amps and your Rogue amps. You might actually prefer the tube amps with either speaker.

Regards.
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 11-14-2010, 10:12 AM

Thanks to all of you for such a warm reception!

I am reading up on PHC1's posts as advised.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveneumann View Post
Welcome Rogueaudiodude. I have owned much Rogue Audio gear over the years and think their stuff is really good plus Mark O and Mark W can't be beat when it comes to service. They used to modify a lot of gear for me and always did an excellent job.

When I first bought my Sashas I had a MC402 and C2300. My room is on the large side at 20 X 36 X 9 and the 402 had no problem driving the Sashas to well over 95db as measured at the listening seat. As I recall, the meters rarely went past 40 watts.

So I assume the 501's would be more than sufficient for either the Sophia III or the Sashas. It's not so much the wattage that is important as the current and the Mac amps put out a lot of current and are stable into low impedance dips with their autoformer design.

While I really liked the Mac + Wilson combo, after auditioning several other amps it became clear that in my system and for my listening preferences the Mac amp sounded a little veiled in the midrange and rolled off in the bass and treble. So you might just try to audition the Sophia IIIs or Sashas with both your Mac amps and your Rogue amps. You might actually prefer the tube amps with either speaker.

Regards.
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the insight. I actually came into the Rogue product line via the 2010 CES. I was walking around and met Mark O. We were simply talking in general and I asked him about his products. I had no idea that he was the owner, nor did he ever say he was the owner. Mark walked me to the Rogue room and I was in total awe with the sound I was hearing in this room.

To make a long story short, I told him that I wanted to buy this system (Hera II preamp, Apollo monoblocks and Wilson Sophia II's.). He helped me locate local dealers in my city that carried Rogue and Wilson products. Mark never told me he was the owner until he was on the phone arranging the sale and distribution of the Rogue gear with my local Rogue Audio dealer.

I love the sound that comes from my Rogue gear. Mark has recommended different signal tubes for the amps to fill my listening room (17'w x 20'd x 18' h). After rolling some NOS Telefunken 12AX7 and 12AU7 tubes in, the bass was noticeably tighter, the mids and highs sounded much better compared to the sound that was coming from the stock EH tubes.

My goal is to move the Sophia II's to the Mc room and connect the new Wilson speakers to the Rogue gear.

Tube gear and the Sophia II's are a magical combination.

I am currently awaiting a response from Mark regarding the impedance of the Sasha's. If there are no concerns with the Sasha impedance...
Old 11-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Listener in Training

Rogueaudiodude, welcome! When you've got the requisite number of posts, show us pictures of your system. Enjoy.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable