AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 09-21-2018, 08:31 PM

Question Which is more of a factor in sound quality

Will be starting fresh with new stereo system...

What would make more of a difference in sound too system... more expensive preamplifier or more expensive power amplifier?

choice number one - McIntosh C1100 preamplifier + MC302 power amplifier
or

McIntosh C2600 preamplifier + McIntosh MC462 power amplifier

in both cases , speakers will be Martin Logan Classic ESL 9

Dan
McIntosh MR87 tuner, McIntosh D1100 as dac & preamp , McIntosh MC462 power amp, Apple iPad Pro 11” M2 cpu for media streaming, AudioQuest Carbon USB-C to USB 2.0 interconnect , Magnepan MG 0.7 speakers , JL Audio Dominion d110 subwoofer
Old 09-21-2018, 09:01 PM

If you are not philosophically opposed, there are some really exceptional integrated amps out there to consider like the Luxman L-509x, PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP if you’re into tubes, and several choices from Accuphase that will make you drool all over your ipad. You won’t have to worry about compatibility between Pre and amp and will save on cabling.
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:10 PM

My vote is for the preamp.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:20 PM

I have just recently upgraded amp and preamp.
I am very happy with the improvement in soundstage and clarity/ detail gained by these components.
Without a doubt for me in my system the preamp was the biggest improvement.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:25 AM

The proper way to approach this is to give some thought as to what amplifier would be a good match for your speakers. Will the amplifier meet the demands of the speaker and if so, will the synergy be a favorable one?

Preamplifier should then be installed in the audio chain so that the differences will be more easily appreciated and evaluated for the characteristics you desire. More transparency, detail, soundstage width and depth, more focus with increased palpability factor, liquid, smooth and musical presentation, etc.... Throwing money at one or the other and approaching it that way may or may not put you in the ballpark since a great preamplifer will be masked by an amplifier that is either not synergistic with your speakers or does not properly drive the speakers.

Having said that, your ML speakers are of fairly sensitive 90dB efficiency and although the impedance does drop rather low and especially at the upper end, where it falls below 1 ohm, any of the McIntosh amps you have mentioned will get the job done. The synergy is a different question and it is mostly a personal preference as long as the amplifier is handling the speakers properly.

Having lived with ML electrostatic speakers in the past for quite some time and experimenting with various gear, given ML's revealing and rather non-forgiving nature of anything upstream that is not up to par, I'd shoot for an amplifier that does not have a tendency of sounding lean as the presentation can be relentless and fatiguing. Once again McIntosh should be a wise choice here as typically and if anything, McIntosh amps will tend to err on the weightier and meatier if not ultimately resolving presentation which would be a plus in my book.

I'd be tempted to try a top notch McIntosh integrated with those speakers if I was in your position. Tubes in a preamplifier can be a hit or a miss when it comes to very revealing speakers and unless you are willing to tube roll to find that balance, the integrated should be a good pairing in my mind.

Good luck with your quest.

Last edited by PHC1; 09-22-2018 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:02 AM

Smile

Just this week I changed my preamp from a Mac D150 to a C52 (with no break in time) it made a world of difference in sound quality. Amps are PS Audio M700 driving ML Classic ESL 9.

I chose the C52 because of the built in EQ my hearing needs the help.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:44 AM
Retired

If you are in the Ontario/Quebec part of Canada, make a trip to the McIntosh plant in Binghamton, NY and take their tour. The new MA8900 integrated amp with the plug-in DAC module looks pretty tasty. But, your original choice of the C1100/MC302 looks nice, as well, though if going that far think I would try to stretch it to the quad-balanced MC452 (easily found on the used market) or MC462.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 09-22-2018, 07:52 AM

Dan,
I like your thinking around the MC 302 and C1100 combo. I think this will give you the best SQ overall compared to the other setup you mention.

Another option you might consider is to find a nice used MC 452 - for all practical purposes identical to the 462 at a fraction of the new price.

Then you get the best of both systems you mentioned.

Enjoy the hunt!

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 09-22-2018, 08:40 AM

A wise man once said " the preamp is the heart of your system."
Old 09-22-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Dan,
I like your thinking around the MC 302 and C1100 combo. I think this will give you the best SQ overall compared to the other setup you mention.

Another option you might consider is to find a nice used MC 452 - for all practical purposes identical to the 462 at a fraction of the new price.

Then you get the best of both systems you mentioned.

Enjoy the hunt!

Tom
Ill take pre-amp any day.
having said that i heard the C1100+M302 recently = awesome awesome combo. I also heard the C2600+mc302 recently, also very good but C110 0 isfantastic, another level of performace.