AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 05-09-2020, 11:36 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Hoping we can please come back to the topic at-hand...

This thread is not about DNA or evolution.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:44 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

You see, operating under a false paradigm has serious consequences because with our current science you have zero chance of living much past 80 years, especially with any quality.
Tell that to my mother, who just turned 94. One of my grandmothers lived to be 101.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Tell that to my mother, who just turned 94. One of my grandmothers lived to be 101.
Puma, you know I hold you in high regard. This thread demonstrates the useless speculation caused by the false paradigm of evolution. My comments are tangential but that's just the way I am.

For every person like your mom or grandmother there are many who don't reach the age of 70. Your body is programmed to self destruct by about age 80 plus or minus about 20%. You have absolutely zero chance of anything but a quick rapid death. This is a fact. By the age of 80 your body is riddled by mutation (at least 20 trillion probably closer to 40 trillion) and has lost its capability to replace the needed 80 trillion new cells it must have each year to maintain itself. You have no chance. Zero. Your neurons have accumulated tremendous bad protein that has accumulated from years of errors in protein translation that are inherent in every human cell. Neurons don't divide. They age differently. I'd hate to think what Joe Biden's brain would look like on MRI. Many think science will find a way out. I used to. I was a confirmed evolutionist from the time I was a little boy.

The question is why is the cell constructed so that we die? Now that's a real question that needs an answer. The questions posed on this thread about extra dimensions are totally useless except making for a little entertainment and selling a useless vacuous book. These questions are generated by the box within which you may be living and within which these authors certainly are living. That box is evolution which causes useless endless speculations about the nature of the universe that can never be answered. Evolutionary science is dead. It has become pure speculation and useless expenditure of money. The answer is always a bigger rocket, telescope, or super collider. "Maybe then we will find something," they say.

In the meantime, we are dying. Thought: If all your cells were immortal, would your body be immortal? Bacterial cells are immortal. If DNA Replication was perfect thus eliminating mutation. If Transcription was perfect. If Translation was perfect thus creating perfect proteins. If the enzyme telomerase was reactivated. If the enzymes were created to allow for DNA Replication to proceed in both directions thus eliminating Okazaki Fragments, would these improvements result in cellular immortality for human cells? If the human genome could be rendered immortal, would the human body be also?

Evolutionary science cannot ask much less answer these questions. Evolutionary science is totally completely and absolutely dead. 100 years from now your life expectancy will still be 80 years. 500 years from now your life expectancy will still be 80 years. 1000 years from now ditto.

Unless this useless false paradigm called evolution is scrapped and understood to be nothing but sh**

Perhaps, we will have evolved by then?? What a sick joke!

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 05-13-2020 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:55 PM

Just to dumb this down a whole bunch, and get back on topic of the OP, (Which always works for me... )

When Carl Sagan did the "Cosmos" mini-series there was an episode in which he described something I think he called Flatville that was populated with flat people. Anyway, it was a place that existed only in two dimensions. What Flatville lacked was any sense or knowledge that a third dimension existed. They could bump into a three dimensional object but not know it was three dimensional because they where flat and had not discovered the idea that a third dimension could even exist.

As the episode went he outlined (and I can't remember his method) how you could extrapolate the third dimension in some mathematical way (I'm not a math guy. Very far from it). I think it had something to do with how the three dimensional object cast a shadow onto the two dimensional reality.

Now if I remember correctly, and I may be mistaken here, even when the flatville people could prove the existence of a third dimension they could not experience it since they were locked into a two dimensional reality.

So, it seems to me, since we are three dimensional people, that discovering a fourth, fifth or sixth, etc., dimension may be mathematically and/or scientifically provable, even if at just the hypothesis or theory level, we would still never be able to truly experience it or exist in it because we live and exist in a three dimensional reality.

Not saying that searching for a dimension beyond what we know is a waste of time. Far from it. I think we should always endeavor to advance our knowledge of what we know and what we can only think we know. Perhaps in time, somewhere down the road, we can devise a method that enables us to actually experience and interact with an as of yet unknown dimension.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)

Last edited by FreddieFerric; 05-13-2020 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post
Just to dumb this down a whole bunch, and get back on topic of the OP, (Which always works for me... )

When Carl Sagan did the "Cosmos" mini-series there was an episode in which he described something I think he called Flatville that was populated with flat people. Anyway, it was a place that existed only in two dimensions. What Flatville lacked was any sense or knowledge that a third dimension existed. They could bump into a three dimensional object but not know it was three dimensional because they where flat and had not discovered the idea that a third dimension could even exist.

As the episode went he outlined (and I can't remember his method) how you could extrapolate the third dimension in some mathematical way (I'm not a math guy. Very far from it). I think it had something to do with how the three dimensional object cast a shadow onto the two dimensional reality.

Now if I remember correctly, and I may be mistaken here, even when the flatville people could prove the existence of a third dimension they could not experience it since they were locked into a two dimensional reality.

So, it seems to me, since we are three dimensional people, that discovering a fourth, fifth or sixth, etc., dimension may be mathematically and/or scientifically provable, even if at just the hypothesis or theory level, we would still never be able to truly experience it or exist in it because we live and exist in a three dimensional reality.

Not saying that searching for a dimension beyond what we know is a waste of time. Far from it. I think we should always endeavor to advance our knowledge of what we know and what we can only think we know. Perhaps in time, somewhere down the road, we can devise a method that enables us to actually experience and interact with an as of yet unknown dimension.

Great post.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax DSM2/Organik/Utopik, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 05-13-2020, 09:19 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post

Actually, your comments and memory show good insgihts about this.

As an example, Klee Irwin and Garrett Lisi are of the view that our "4-Dimensional" world is a "projection" (the term that describes the shadow analogy above) of a higher, 8-dimensional universe that they call E8.

What is depicted here is a rendering of what an E8 Lie Group might look like in 2-Dimensions. In it, there are locations that can be assigned to the gauge fermions and gauge bosons.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:56 AM

Default Michio Kaku - Are there Extra Dimensions?

IMHO Garrett Lisi and his work are to be taken seriously. By his own admission though, he has to move beyond E8 to infinite dimensional Lie algebra’s to make his ideas work.

IMHO Klee Irwin is a pseudoscience clown, and then I’m being polite. My recommendation is to not waste your time on him.

Last edited by JemHadar; 05-14-2020 at 05:19 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:12 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem666 View Post
IMHO Garrett Lisi and his work are to be taken seriously. By his own admission though, he has to move beyond E8 to infinite dimensional Lie algebra’s to make his ideas work.

IMHO Klee Irwin is a pseudoscience clown, and then I’m being polite. My recommendation is to not waste your time on him.
Yeah, I've come to the same basic conclusion about Klee Irwin.

Higher dimensional "maths", either Lie algebras or geometries, this might closer align with Eric Weinstein's 14-D "geometric unity" theory.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 05-14-2020 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Yeah, I've come to the same basic conclusion about Klee Irwin.

Higher dimensional "maths", either Lie algebras or geometries, this might closer align with Eric Weinstein's 14-D geometric unity.

Thank you for making me aware of Eric Weinstein. I subscribed to the Portal. Not sure about his theory...but I had never heard of the Hopf Fibration...and now I do [emoji3][emoji106]

https://youtu.be/AKotMPGFJYk
Old 05-14-2020, 11:50 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem666 View Post
Thank you for making me aware of Eric Weinstein. I subscribed to the Portal. Not sure about his theory...but I had never heard of the Hopf Fibration...and now I do [emoji3][emoji106]

https://youtu.be/AKotMPGFJYk
Ha! Yeah, he's a character. Look up his lecture at Oxford on his geometric unity that is on his Portal YouTube channel.