AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 03-23-2012, 11:27 AM

Old 03-23-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdebonth View Post
I actually would like to keep the discussion as general as possible so that others can benefit. Let's say in context of a medium sized listening room, not huge and not tiny. Something like 15" x 17"? A room where the full-range models mentioned just have enough room to breathe.

Edit: variables such as budget, music type, room specific constraints, etc hence do not play a role. 2 channel listening only, not interested in audio/video.
My room was almost identical to the dimensions you mentioned. I've had all different scenarios. Full range, monitors, monitors+sub, monitors+2 subs, monitors+2 subs+active crossover.... While some full range speakers can be dialed in pretty nicely assuming they do not overpower your room and were not designed for bigger spaces to begin with... The monitor+sub/s route yielded results that I was even happier with and truly impressive in terms of bass integration, coherency and authority of the low end. Imaging, soundstage and balance was much easier to achieve and integrate with monitors and dialing in the subs. Of course there are exceptions to every rule but I think in general, for a room of medium to smaller size, the monitors+sub yields more success.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:46 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

I have both types of systems and agree with most of what has been said above. I think the biggest difference in my experience, with my systems, is the ability of a large full range system to fully fill, activate, and engage the room with music when the music itself is huge and dynamic. The full range system is also (often) capable of projecting a larger soundstage when I'm playing large scale recordings.

I listen mostly to classical music, vocalists, and jazz, but assume that the same would hold true for rock music.

For small groups and intimate music, the two systems are about equal, but for that type of music, I often prefer the smaller system (Sonus Faber Guarneri Mementos with a ((one)) JL Labs F-112 sub). A second sub-woofer might make this system come closer to the huge dynamic range of the full range speakers - Many here have said that a second sub makes a big difference.

I love both types of systems and, to me, it often depends on the type of music I'm going to play when I make the decision about which system to listen to.

I honestly feel that if I were going out to purchase a system and didn't already have a bunch of stuff, I would give a very serious look at a good pair of monitor type speakers with subs - Probably because of the flexibility offered by that combination, usable in more in home situations, more wife friendly, not as necessary to have a dedicated listening space, more adaptable to existing living room or "den" types of environments and furnishings. And, they sound GOOD.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 03-25-2012, 08:23 AM
Rebellious!

The design shouldn't be considered in your judgment if you are looking for absolute sound quality.

Room Acoustics. Then full range audio, what ever means necessary.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:36 AM

Bill, you are saying that full range vs compacts + sub is not the key factor, rather room acoustics to achieve best sound quality?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:10 PM

What it sounds like to me.

I recently aded a sub to my full range mains, I'm happy.

The difference is subtle, yet substantial.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:05 PM

I dont know how much this helps, but my wife really preferred the visual imprint the standmounters had vs. the floorstanders. They look much sharper and the bass is going to be better with a subwoofer. The trick is obviously to get a well paired sub/speaker combo
Old 05-08-2012, 09:22 PM
MrAcoustat

Whe are a bunch of friends here in Quebec Canada that own Acoustat's full range speakers and none of us own's subwoofers, why buy stats if you want cone speaker bass ????? does'nt make sense, whe don't want NOISE whe want music.

Last edited by MrAcoustat; 05-14-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:39 PM

^ Nice!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAcoustat View Post
Whe are a bunch of friends here in Quebec Canada that own Acoustat's full range speakers and none of us own's subwoofers why by stats if you want cone speaker bass ????? does'nt make sense i whe don't want NOISE whe want music.
Awesome!!!! WOW
Sonus Faber Amati Faturas / JL Audio 13.5” Fanthom In Wall Subs / McIntosh C52 / McIntosh MCD 1100 / McIntosh MEN 220 / McIntosh MC 601’s / McIntosh MPC 1500 / McIntosh MT 5 / McIntosh MC 275’s / Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector / Silenzo (This thing is Amazing) / Gold Lion Tubes from Vintage Tube

All items in green were bought thru the AA marketplace and blue from a current AA retailer