AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 09-29-2015, 06:45 PM

Default Advice on My System

I currently use KEF R900 speakers, and Accuphase E460, with computer and DAC as player. I'd like to tweak the system somewhat, by making three changes. (1) Buy a pre-amplifier (2) Buy a power amplifier and (3) replace the speakers. My problem is that I don't have the means to do all three at once. So I'd like advice on the order I do (1) - (3). Thinking of buying either C2820 or C3850 for (1), A70 for (2), and B&W 803d for (3).

Q1: what is the best order to do (1) - (3)? My inclination is to do (2) first, then (3), and (1) last.

Q2: Is it possible to use E460 as pre-amplifier and A70 as power-amplifier?

Q3: what speakers do you recommend to go with Accuphase amplifiers? I have heard good things about Tannoy, but are they are lot more expensive than B&W?

Opinions are welcome. Thank you.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:05 PM

A1: Your Accuphase E-460 is your best piece, and could easily support better speakers. As such I would suggest you find higher performance speakers of your choosing with the E-460 driving them, and then you may find it unnecessary to replace the Accuphase. You may find that the funds saved by keeping your E-460 may be better used by being spent towards even better speakers.

A2: If you wish to upgrade your electronics, yes it is possible to use the E-460 as a preamp since it has preamp outputs which can directly drive an external power amp.

A3: Tannoy speakers are liked by many, but they have a very different sound quality than KEF or B&W. Speaker selection is very subjective, so I think it would be best to audition some possibilities with your Accuphase to choose the ones most to your liking.

Hope this helps, and best of luck with your upgrades!
Old 09-30-2015, 06:37 AM

Thanks, but multiple people have told me that E460 is not good enough for B&W803d. I have no idea. Is that true?
Old 09-30-2015, 06:54 AM

not true
Old 09-30-2015, 07:19 AM

Not true, your Accuphase is well up to the task!
Old 09-30-2015, 08:47 AM
Life is beautiful

Good advice!
Start with new speakers.
Go for the best you can buy.
Your amp will drive them nicely.
Later, you can upgrade the rest.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 09-30-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountDeMoney View Post
I currently use KEF R900 speakers, and Accuphase E460, with computer and DAC as player.
What DAC?
You might have to go for an upgrade of your source (DAC) first, before you upgrade the rest of your system.
IMHO to fully profit by the inherent qualities of C-3850 / A-70 you will need DP-900 / DC-901 or DP-720 or DC-37 DAC, no less.

The combination C-3850 / A-70 will certainly be one hell of an amp, provided you also do not loose any of it's air and transparency in the cables (interconnects and speaker cables).
Although not having heard B&W 800 D3 series yet, I 'm inclined to think they should work well with these Accuphase models.

Nevertheless I'd suggest you listen to the complete chain of your project before you buy anything.

Martin
Old 09-30-2015, 09:14 AM

Please say the dimension of the room where you will use the system.
Choosing the B&W 803 is final? As using that 3850 and A-70, you will be limited as these speakers.
Think of a CD or SACD source that, because the limitation will come again, because of its use as a source PC and DAC. In a reasonable range of speakers the 460 will drive that to 70-80% of max potential,and you can make a direction for the future,regarding the sound,to pass to pre/power.
DON"t use an integrate amplifier like preamplifier to drive a A-70,(at that nivel of price is not good,you can have better sound even with the cheapest dedicated preamplifier from Accuphase).
Also you must hear first a power in class A and one in class AB to see who is ringing your liking,( posibil newly announced P-7300). Related to the choice of speaker ..... it depends so much on the preferences of each sound, so that I can't give a brand / model specific.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltemi View Post
What DAC?
You might have to go for an upgrade of your source (DAC) first, before you upgrade the rest of your system.
IMHO to fully profit by the inherent qualities of C-3850 / A-70 you will need DP-900 / DC-901 or DP-720 or DC-37 DAC, no less.

The combination C-3850 / A-70 will certainly be one hell of an amp, provided you also do not loose any of it's air and transparency in the cables (interconnects and speaker cables).
Although not having heard B&W 800 D3 series yet, I 'm inclined to think they should work well with these Accuphase models.

Nevertheless I'd suggest you listen to the complete chain of your project before you buy anything.

Martin
DAC is MSB Platinum IV plus.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puiutu View Post
Please say the dimension of the room where you will use the system.
Choosing the B&W 803 is final? As using that 3850 and A-70, you will be limited as these speakers.
Think of a CD or SACD source that, because the limitation will come again, because of its use as a source PC and DAC. In a reasonable range of speakers the 460 will drive that to 70-80% of max potential,and you can make a direction for the future,regarding the sound,to pass to pre/power.
DON"t use an integrate amplifier like preamplifier to drive a A-70,(at that nivel of price is not good,you can have better sound even with the cheapest dedicated preamplifier from Accuphase).
Also you must hear first a power in class A and one in class AB to see who is ringing your liking,( posibil newly announced P-7300). Related to the choice of speaker ..... it depends so much on the preferences of each sound, so that I can't give a brand / model specific.
The Room isn't large. It is a narrow rectangle, 10 feet by 23 feet.

No, 803d isn't final. I am open to other suggestions. Even 802d is a possibility, but I think they are too big for my room, and a bit too expensive.

I don't listen to CDs or SACDs. Digital files only.

I know it is undesirable to use an integrated amplifier to drive an A-70, but I don't have the money to upgrade everything at once. It will be transitional, but I have to decide what to buy first.

Last edited by CountDeMoney; 09-30-2015 at 09:54 AM.