AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 02-14-2016, 07:28 PM

Josh, just realized you mentioned BILL from Great Plains Audio. That must be who I actually talked to. I thought he said Gill, phone connection wasn't the best. I have to say, the Howards products are great. It was just what I was hoping. It didn't leave a film, residue or any sheen. It simply brought out the natural beauty of the wood. Started with heavy diluted Murphys, a bit more diluted than the ratio on the directions. I used a dedicated microfiber cloth for the above, and for the following 2 steps. I Let that dry, and then applied Howards Restor-A-Finish. I chose Dark Walnut, which seemed to darken it up ever so slightly. That stuff is strong, so I wore a mask. After wiping it off, you wait a half hour before applying Howards Feed n' WAX Orange Beeswax stuff. I will try and post photos, to show the subtle (but nice) difference it made. Next up is getting the Belden 9497. What do you guys think is the minimum length I will need to do the X-over, assuming I mount it externally. I may start with the existing back covers, but then copy you there too Josh. (-: I can't see needing more than 10-12 ( around 33-39 feet) Meters.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:07 PM

I bought 50 feet.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:14 PM

Sounds like a reasonable amount, without going too crazy. Thxs
Old 02-14-2016, 09:26 PM

Better to have extra rather than not enough!
Old 02-15-2016, 05:20 AM

I dunno for sure... are you saying to run from the L and R LF and HF drivers to a crossover only? In that case about 3 feet from each driver to crossover would only be 12 feet. Even say if you double that than we are talking 24 feet or 8 meters-ish. I assume you will be using your awesome A23 cables to the external crossovers?

Last edited by junker; 02-15-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:48 PM

Yep- I run a 9 meter A23 Spk Cable, so the A23 will be hooked up to the Crossovers. I would imagine the Crossovers will be situated very closely to the speakers. I was thinking 30 ft, or 50ft to play it safe. I can't see 30ft not being enough, but as 755a says, better to have enough.... Crossover ordered btw(-: Guys, help me picture this. My A23 of course have bananas, but I have the A23 adapters, which I use in to the Valencias. The adapters of course are female banana>Spades. I assume the crossover has no female banana, so there I would hook up A23 still using adapter? After that, the Belden out of the crossover to woofer. Also Belden out of crossover to Horn driver. That's it right? The old (phillips screw) binding posts would not be needed. If that is the case, I can't see putting the old backs back on. I don't want to drill a hole in those for just that. Maybe I will just have the NEW backs built now, and keep the old backs original. Hmmm- There I go, overthinking again.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:00 PM

Fjn04,
I told Werner that I was using a23 speaker cables with bananas. He added banana jacks to the crossover for me.

I am also still trying to decide how long I want to make the Belden wires. I asked Werner how long he recommended. He replied "not too short, not too long." :-). I am thinking i will end up with 5 feet or so each. That will leave enough length in case the speakers end up on stands. It will also be enough slack to allow placement of the crossovers on top of the speakers without disconnecting them. That would be helpful for cleaning around the speakers or if I have to move them.

My crossovers took around 7 weeks to arrive, but I did order right around Thanksgiving.

Last edited by chipchas; 02-15-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:55 PM

Has anyone had their drivers remagnetized? What sonic changes resulted?
Is this a service done at any electronic repair shop or is it very specialized and best left to Great Plains Audio?
Old 02-16-2016, 04:05 AM

I did. The stronger magnetic field has better control of the bass - a bit more, but mostly more defined and articulate. On the west coast, Orange County Speaker does it, but I'm sure any specialty speaker repair facility has the big electromagnet to saturate them again.

Last edited by junker; 02-16-2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn04 View Post
YIf that is the case, I can't see putting the old backs back on. I don't want to drill a hole in those for just that. Maybe I will just have the NEW backs built now, and keep the old backs original.
You should be able to remove the 2 screws on the terminal plate and slide it sideways into the cabinet. Then take a small thin piece of wood and drill two mounting holes into it + your 2 holes for the Belden to pass though.

Or you can do new backs...