AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 08-28-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
I've dealt many times with PriceJapan and he is very reputable. Always fast answers to any email request but you might wait a bit for some products to be shipped.

Audiocubes will have roughly the same prices as Europe as they sell 220V products. So there is not much gain there.

Most of the new Accuphase are easier to convert, usually it comes down to a couple of cables to move from one place to the other.

If you can get the technical documentation, then it should be easy.
Not so sure about that, i did read from one person in Europe that bought an Accuphase product, and had a person who had acces to relevant papers and electronics, it turned out it was NOT easy at all, and costed more than first estimated. I think, if i remember correctly it was an Accuphase E-470.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDPDK View Post
Not so sure about that, i did read from one person in Europe that bought an Accuphase product, and had a person who had acces to relevant papers and electronics, it turned out it was NOT easy at all, and costed more than first estimated. I think, if i remember correctly it was an Accuphase E-470.
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDPDK View Post
I said most because the data is not readily available but I've seem more example of it being easy than otherwise. Obviously YMMV !
Not a lot of people are doing it and even less are talking about it.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_72 View Post
Ok, well, how is PriceJapan with big ticket items, such as an A-70 amp? I could understand maybe cables and phono/d to a cards wouldn't be a problem, but when you're talking about the big stuff then there's more of a risk since more money is involved. And wait time, going through customs, etc. is more, I take it. How long, I don't know. I personally wouldn't stand for my money being in limbo for a very long time. The other alternative is of course, to pay the much inflated prices of the US distributor, maybe highest prices in the world it seems.

You're right about Accuphase being easier to convert. I in fact have a diagram for an A-46. However, I'm not sure how the other amps and preamps are. You could take it to a tech, but they might goof it up. Also, when something goes, and I know this is reliable stuff but still, where would you take it? Not the distributor's tech (Accutech here in the US!) An independent tech can do something, but where can he get the parts? Also, doesn't the resale value plunge with rewired units?

I don't expect or demand answers to all of these questions, but this imo is food for though before buyng from PriceJapan and Audio Cubes. Or in Japan in general. And PJ and AC are not authorized dealers as well. They're resellers who go to authorixed dealers and buy from them, I mean how do you know you're not getting a used or open box unit?
I know someone who bought a phono amp with great success and it was a trial before getting more expensive items.

As always, when you buy on the grey market, you know the risks and what you are in for. Now Accuphase are built like tanks but the risk is always there. The only way to get it repaired is to send it back to Accuphase Japan (and paying the cost of shipping both ways).

When you resale, you make the new buyer benefit from the lower price you had. Only you know if it's worth it or not.

I'd do it on items like DAC or CDP maybe preamp but I wouldn't buy an amp.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:41 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
I know someone who bought a phono amp with great success and it was a trial before getting more expensive items.

As always, when you buy on the grey market, you know the risks and what you are in for. Now Accuphase are built like tanks but the risk is always there. The only way to get it repaired is to send it back to Accuphase Japan (and paying the cost of shipping both ways).

When you resale, you make the new buyer benefit from the lower price you had. Only you know if it's worth it or not.

I'd do it on items like DAC or CDP maybe preamp but I wouldn't buy an amp.

That's cool. I would do the same as a trial.

I agree. Yeah, if Accuphase will repair it. Do you know for sure that they will when they find out you bypassed the distributor.

That's true. Because of PriceJapan and Audio Cubes and buying in Japan in person, what has happened this that the used price of 120V Accuphase goes way down. I hate to say this, but Accuphase doesn't have the greatest resale value here in the US (and suspect Canada as well.)

Yeah, that makes sense.

There's nothing really I can do to get around this distributor, I'm trying to save up, but then something always comes up. I'm having possible car trouble at the moment, and my electric bills are rather high from living in the desert and running central air. And I have to eat, I'm not going to eat cheap ramen and macaroni and cheese for months and months. So, things like that preclude me from buying Accuphase at this time. I could go with a cheaper product, like McIntosh, but the sound quality isn't my cup of tea.It's great stuff though. and build quality is definitely very good.

Last edited by Dave_72; 08-28-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:55 AM

I checked out the Audio Union shop in Ochanimizu
I bought some speakers and isolators
Alot of fun
Old 10-01-2015, 01:14 PM

That's cool...which speakers?
Old 10-01-2015, 07:16 PM

Elac bs243BE
I have the old ones but these have the new ribbon tweeters
I tried out a bunch of speakers when I was there and I still like these ones
The Accuphase E-470 was tempting and they had the FirstWatt Sit which was my first time to hear
But alas, I was with my fiance and couldnt spend as much time as I wanted
Old 10-08-2015, 01:34 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvl View Post
Elac bs243BE
I have the old ones but these have the new ribbon tweeters
I tried out a bunch of speakers when I was there and I still like these ones
The Accuphase E-470 was tempting and they had the FirstWatt Sit which was my first time to hear
But alas, I was with my fiance and couldnt spend as much time as I wanted
Very nice indeed. That's some awesome equipment there!