AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 10-24-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I read your thread regarding surge protection. I have a Square D SurgeLogic installed that seems to work very well.

SQUARE D SPD, Non Mod, 120/240VAC, 120kA, 1Ph - Hardwire Surge Protection Devices - 6CDA5|TVS1EBA12A - Grainger Industrial Supply

Read your link. I wish I'd had this done a long time ago. I noticed yours also had filtration. Seems to me everything begins with clean power and clean power begins outside the house with an industrial grade suge protector. The Wilson Ti tweeter for my ears strikes a perfect balance. Ti has a different sound than a soft dome no question about it. What do you like about the Ti tweeter/sound as opposed to the new soft dome?
Old 10-24-2012, 12:29 PM

X2 is on the website again.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I read your thread regarding surge protection. I have a Square D SurgeLogic installed that seems to work very well.

SQUARE D SPD, Non Mod, 120/240VAC, 120kA, 1Ph - Hardwire Surge Protection Devices - 6CDA5|TVS1EBA12A - Grainger Industrial Supply

Does everyone who has a highend system have a similar device?? Have I been doing highend audio for all these years and been in the dark about this? I stumbled on the Tg60 by chance. Your device is similar to the Tg60, maybe better. With all the money spent on highend systems having them absolutely protected from lightning and surges seems a necessity, and you get significantly better sound to boot. I am sure some the purity of your treble is due to your Square D. There is a livleness and air, a lack of grain, with my Maxx treble that I have never heard through any other tweeter, especially now that I have the extra line filtration as you have.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:20 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Grainger unit you have referenced only provides surge clamping protection, not regeneration or filtration of line voltage. It's more of a piece of mind issue than something that would improve SQ. (of course, the placebo affect cannot be denied)
Old 10-25-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen_bh View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Grainger unit you have referenced only provides surge clamping protection, not regeneration or filtration of line voltage. It's more of a piece of mind issue than something that would improve SQ. (of course, the placebo affect cannot be denied)
I had my Square D unit installed for its surge suppression capabilities. I can't say that it has improved the SQ. Nor do I remember getting SQ improvements from any of the 3 dedicated 20 amps lines I had run for my amps and sources. There is no real way for me to perform a proper A/B comparison.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen_bh View Post
I thougt I saw in the specs that it did provide filtration. The Tg60 definitely does and they make a big deal of it. However, I was unaware of it before reading the OM as I had it installed for whole house surge protection. I don't expect to be believed about this but I am telling you that the improvement in my midrange and treble is noticeable on every disc. Also, although I never had any hum coming through my Maxxes since I run balanced, I always had faint residual hum coming from the equipment rack. It is gone. I do hope that folks will pay attention.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerkj View Post
X2 is on the website again.
The X2s are too good a speaker to discontinue, at least for awhile.