AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-02-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregswaim View Post
In my opinion, McIntosh is the only company that got digital right all of the way.
With so many "Me Too" CDP's on the market, it's easy for to me to sympathize with those that feel that vinyl is a better playback format.
What is digital done right? Are you familiar with the new apodizing filters that Meridian and Ayre use? Are you aware of the elimination of pre-echo and post ringing with those types of filters? Does MCD500 do 192?
Old 05-02-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
What is digital done right? Are you familiar with the new apodizing filters that Meridian and Ayre use? Are you aware of the elimination of pre-echo and post ringing with those types of filters? Does MCD500 do 192?
I do not think that the MCD-500 is the best player on the market, but it may be the best value of the higher end players. Remember it does do SACD, has the variable outputs, and makes the DAC's available for other digital streams.

Whether it does 192 is up in the air, Ron C has said it does, but the published info says no.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
I do not think that the MCD-500 is the best player on the market, but it may be the best value of the higher end players. Remember it does do SACD, has the variable outputs, and makes the DAC's available for other digital streams.

Whether it does 192 is up in the air, Ron C has said it does, but the published info says no.
Ron was a little vague answering the question. No it does not seem to do 192, it is capped at 96 which puts it at a huge disadvantage with the new high rez files coming out.

The Ayre which is in the same price range does do 192, DVA-A, SACD, CD, MP3. Charlie Hansen had an explanation how to burn those high rez files on to DVD-A using simple software, something I will look into shortly.

The advantage of MCD500 is the digital input but again, capped at 96 which limits its use of storing those high rez files and feeding them to it. The Ayre on the other hand offers the new MP filters. It was already the "best single box" CDP on the market according to many in the industry. Wait until the MP filter gets reviewed.. I've been listening to the MP for a few weeks already.

By comparison to the MDA1000/MCD1000, the Ayre simply smokes the combo in dynamics, low level resolution and natural smoothness as compared to the smoothing filters of the MDA1000 that sugar coat the material with artificial smoothness. The MCD500 is a more neutral CDP compared to the MDA1000 but it is not as refined sounding as the Ayre. Yes, I've heard the MCD500.

Not knocking the MCD500, one can do worse, it is a great player in many ways. But to say it is the best digital or digital done right???? C'mon.

Last edited by PHC1; 05-02-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
My ears tell me what sounds right, not manufacturing specs or mag reviews.
I've audition many others - MAC is right for me.
I won't make any negative comments here with what my opinions are of Arye, Meridian, or others that didn't make the grade, I'll just say that McIntosh provides me with very satisfying organic sounding digital playback components that others can't seem to match - in my opinion.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregswaim View Post
My ears tell me what sounds right, not manufacturing specs or mag reviews.
I've audition many others - MAC is right for me.
I won't make any negative comments here with what my opinions are of Arye, Meridian, or others that didn't make the grade, I'll just say that McIntosh provides me with very satisfying organic sounding digital playback components that others can't seem to match - in my opinion.
Enjoy your MCD500.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:40 PM

In my current system it is a moot point whether the MCD-500 handles files above 96 because the MS-300 will not store or play them. I am waiting for a solution where I can download these hi rez files, store and play them back at their native bit rate. A make shift PC is no the answer for me. Again, I believe when you say the new filters make a difference, but for me to avail myself of them, in addition to the player I would need to purchase a DAC for the MS-300 and a pre-amp for the 5xeMP.

One other point, I had the original 5xe in my system for over a week when I owned the X03-se. It was close, but the Esoteric unit was better sounding in the upper and lower frequencies. I wanted something that would also play the dozen or so DVD-Audio discs I had, but that Ayre unit couldn't keep up on CD's.

Digital technology is changing so fast, it is hard to impossible for me to justify spending over $20k for the top of the line units from Esoteric, MBL, DCS, etc.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:52 PM

Serge,

My interpretation of the phrase "digital done right" is that the MCD500 is a digital pre amp., CD/SACD player and has the 2 DAC inputs making it a versatile machine. I also think that they liked the fact that the music is fed into a ram buffer to get rid of jitter. I am sure there are better machines then the MCD500, but you get a lot for your money when you figure the street price is under 5 grand.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:54 PM

By the way Serge, you were the one who came up with the idea for the MCD500 according to your post on AK No wonder you are the oracle
Old 05-02-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
In my current system it is a moot point whether the MCD-500 handles files above 96 because the MS-300 will not store or play them. I am waiting for a solution where I can download these hi rez files, store and play them back at their native bit rate. A make shift PC is no the answer for me. Again, I believe when you say the new filters make a difference, but for me to avail myself of them, in addition to the player I would need to purchase a DAC for the MS-300 and a pre-amp for the 5xeMP.

One other point, I had the original 5xe in my system for over a week when I owned the X03-se. It was close, but the Esoteric unit was better sounding in the upper and lower frequencies. I wanted something that would also play the dozen or so DVD-Audio discs I had, but that Ayre unit couldn't keep up on CD's.

Digital technology is changing so fast, it is hard to impossible for me to justify spending over $20k for the top of the line units from Esoteric, MBL, DCS, etc.
There are a lot of different sounding digital. In the time I had the Ayre, I also borrowed a Krell 505. You want to talk about dynamics and slam? The Krell had that in spades. The Ayre is not quite as extraverted as the Krell but the Krell also doesn't sound as natural. I don't ever remember live music being eye blink inducing and having such "wow" factor so I doubt you are getting a true picture with all that emphasis of leading edge of transients.

The bass on the Krell was also quite artificial with its tight but dry presentation while the Ayre sounds analog like in the bass which to my ears is not only more enjoyable but much closer to reality.

At the end of the day, I doubt any one system is a true reproduction of the original music recorded and there is always something that appeals more to each individual so it comes down to preference. I found the Krell to be fresh and exciting and the Ayre to be more musical in a natural kind of way. There are plenty of other digital gear out there at various price points that do many things for many people.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2uberoller View Post
Serge,

My interpretation of the phrase "digital done right" is that the MCD500 is a digital pre amp., CD/SACD player and has the 2 DAC inputs making it a versatile machine. I also think that they liked the fact that the music is fed into a ram buffer to get rid of jitter. I am sure there are better machines then the MCD500, but you get a lot for your money when you figure the street price is under 5 grand.
MCD500 is not a digital preamp, it is an analog domain preamp. I've never cared for digital preamps, could be that some of the newer stuff out there may be better. I enjoyed the MDA1000 and thought it was very good as an analog domain preamp. Then came the C500P and elevated that status. When the Ayre KX-R came into the picture, it was game over......