Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 08-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
Rod,

Welcome!

I will tell you these guys are really providing super advice. I have used both Kimber and Shunyata (currently in my system). Both are very good. Puma Cat's comments on the Shunyata's PCs are spot on - the Venom 3 is a terrific buy - I'm using it for my Oppo 83se.

Also, the WireWorld products are fantastic as well. If you decide to go with WW, I'm sure Ivan will take care of you.

Thanks,
Mike
I really like the Wireworld products. Their power cords are excellent, but I only have experience with the entry-level Stratus 5s. I still think the Venom3 is best-in-class for a $100 price range cord, but the Stratus 5 is a great cord too, and easy to dress because it is flat and very flexible. I use them for my HDTV components. I use a Venom3 on my phono stage, and I think it is superior to the earlier Shunyata Diamondback Platinum design that sells for $250.

But in particular I think the Wireworld interconnects are really special, and the Equinox 6 for $200/meter is a superb IC for the money.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 08-07-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
Another happy Kimber 8TC and Wireworld user, I'm spotting a trend here

Thanks
Oh, and P.S., I have Wireworld Stratus on my power conditioners (Furman Elite 15-PF and SPR-20i).
Old 08-07-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S

Thanks Dave. I seem to be following your posts to me around the other threads and finally ended up here

So when you say pair the Monacle XL's with the 9038 jumers if I was bi-wiring, how does that work? If I was bi-wiring, which I'm not at the moment wouldn't that mean I would be using the Bi-Focal XL's instead? Using the Monacle XL's and purchasing the 9038 jumpers, doesn't that still just make a single wire run with the benefit of replacing the jumpers that come with the speakers? I'd definitely we willing to do that i.e the Monacle XL and 9038 jumpers because I loved what I heard from the Monacle XL's and definitely can't afford the Select 3035, not at the lengths I'm going to need which would be between 8'-12'.

Have you ever had an opportunity to compare the Monacle XL's with the 3033's, if so how much of a difference did you feel there was between the two?

You are probably the best person to ask this question considering your familiarity with Kimber. With silver being this coveted material what do you think it is that keeps cables like the KCAG, KCTG and Hero AG from being more sought after than the copper Select cables like the 1011, 1111, 1016 and 1116 or even the hybrids such as the 1021, 1121, 1026 and 1126? Based on the material alone one would think the KCAG, KCTG and Hero AG would be the better choice hands down until you moved into the 1030, 1130, 1036 and 1136 cables but aparantely that's not the case.

Concerning the Palladian power cords, where would you suggest one start replacing if I were to do it one cord at a time i.e replace the cord on my Furman SPR-20i because it plugs directly into the wall or does it make more sense to replace the cord on say my Lexicon MC-12 or my 3 Bryston amps starting with the amp powering my mains, Denon Blu-ray player or even the tv? What would you say the benefits are by going with the PK10 Palladian over the PK14 Palladian?

Finally, in your response to me in another thread you indicated you use the 8TC's for your surrounds, how long are those cable lengths?

Thanks again,

Rod
Rod...The Kimber Bi Focal XL is a great speaker cable and recommended for this application. Using a single run with jumpers often yields better flexability. Many use 2 runs of different speakers and bypass the jumper route. In most cases using jumpers or a speaker cable intended for bi wire will give a more enoyable listen than using the stock jumpers that came with the loudspeakers.

I like the Monacle XL compared to the KS3033 because of the price difference vs performance especially if you use the Kimber jumpers.

The Kimber Select ice are very popular and highly sought after be it copper, hybrid or silver and retain high resale. Can't comment on the other ic's except that some of those are reaching or exceed the price of the Selects and many prefer the KS.

The Palladian pc's are amazing. The standard Kimber PK10 is a excellent performer for the $$. For little price difference the PK10 standard and PK10 Palladian is a better pc than the PK14. I would use the PK10 Palladian on the amp first and then move it to the line conditioner if it's possible. The choice of WattGate connectors are also available in the copper version of silver AG version.

My HT has 36' of Kimber 8TC for the surrounds.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 08-08-2011, 05:20 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1 fan View Post
Rod...The Kimber Bi Focal XL is a great speaker cable and recommended for this application. Using a single run with jumpers often yields better flexability. Many use 2 runs of different speakers and bypass the jumper route. In most cases using jumpers or a speaker cable intended for bi wire will give a more enoyable listen than using the stock jumpers that came with the loudspeakers.

I like the Monacle XL compared to the KS3033 because of the price difference vs performance especially if you use the Kimber jumpers.

The Kimber Select ice are very popular and highly sought after be it copper, hybrid or silver and retain high resale. Can't comment on the other ic's except that some of those are reaching or exceed the price of the Selects and many prefer the KS.

The Palladian pc's are amazing. The standard Kimber PK10 is a excellent performer for the $$. For little price difference the PK10 standard and PK10 Palladian is a better pc than the PK14. I would use the PK10 Palladian on the amp first and then move it to the line conditioner if it's possible. The choice of WattGate connectors are also available in the copper version of silver AG version.

My HT has 36' of Kimber 8TC for the surrounds.

Dave

And the PK 10 Gold, which TAS gave strong reviews of.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress

And the PK 10 Gold, which TAS gave strong reviews of.
Charles...yes, the PK10 Gold is what I call the 'standard'. It comes with the WattGate Gold connectors but one can also upgrade to the Silver (Ag) WattGate connectors.

Dave

Old 08-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1 fan View Post
Charles...yes, the PK10 Gold is what I call the 'standard'. It comes with the WattGate Gold connectors but one can also upgrade to the Silver (Ag) WattGate connectors.

Dave

Okay. There are three flavors of PK10, and I thought you were talking about the "regular" one vs. the Gold or Palladian. They all have the same jacket color, anyway. They'd look good on my 501 amps, being green and all...

Still, I'm more interested in changing out my A/V rack first. And, though I don't particularly like the magenta color of my WW Auroras, I can't argue with the sound.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Cool, calm scientist

I'm sure the Palladians are good cables, but they are expensive at over a grand apiece.

Rod,
Regarding your first foray into power cables, I'm really recommending you start with the Shunyata Venom3s...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:39 PM

The Venom3s are a bargain and a super value. For a few more dollars (well quite a few more) the Black Mamba CX and CX HC are excellent PCs.

Mike
Old 08-09-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Rod,
For power cables, I would really encourage you to also consider Shunyata power cables. IMO, Shunyata is leading the edge of the art right now for power cable design. For example, the $95 Venom3 is flat-out amazing and provides superb performance for the money. Do not let the low price fool you. If you're not going to spend $550 each on Shunyata Black Mamba CXs, I would get Venom3s instead. It's that good.

I also own the entry level Wireworld power cables, Stratus 5, and while they are excellent, right now, I would say the Venom3 is even better. The performance that power cable provides for $95 is just ridiculous.

Rather than trying to decide which Palladian to use where, I would also strongly recommend putting as many Venom3s on as many components as you have the budget for. The benefits of power cables is additive, so the recommendations from Shunyata are, for example, to put five $95 Venom3s into your system rather than buying one $550 Shunyata Black Mamba CX and putting it one only one component. This is exactly my experience as well as I have been adding in power cables to my system over the last year.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm familiar with the Shunyata name so I'll take a look. It's cool to hear that Shunyata advised of the additive nature. I also have the option of not going the Palladian route but rather keep adding PK10 Gold/AG to the system at less than half the price of the Palladian per cable. I do like my 10' PK10 Gold. That Venon3 would be even less expensive than the PK10 Gold/AG.

Rod
Old 08-09-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm familiar with the Shunyata name so I'll take a look. It's cool to hear that Shunyata advised of the additive nature. I also have the option of not going the Palladian route but rather keep adding PK10 Gold/AG to the system at less than half the price of the Palladian per cable. I do like my 10' PK10 Gold. That Venon3 would be even less expensive than the PK10 Gold/AG.

Rod
Rod...The Kimber PK10 Gold/AG is a excellent performer. Can't go wrong with Kimber products.

Dave