AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 10-21-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
There are many users reporting on their first-hand experiences with audiophile fuses and I've never seen anyone claim this result.
It only takes once. But, so far, so good I guess.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
Hi John.....I will only be replacing 1 of the fuses. 1 fuse is for the mains (the one I'm replacing) and the other is the standby fuse. The mains fuse is the one closest to the end of the circuit board.
Good to know that only 1 fuse would be needed to upgrade. But what is the purpose of the stand by one? Doesn’t it affect the signal path in some ways?
Old 10-21-2019, 08:48 PM

Just a spare.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:15 PM

Default My Faith In Bryston

I have so much faith in Bryston, as a company from past dealings with them, that I firmly believe that if fuses made a favorable sonic improvement in the sound of their equipment, they would have incorporated fuse changes in all their projects, and simply raise the prices to accommodate the extra expense. To date, I have not read the specific sonic improvement that fuses have on equipment from those who advocate replacing fuses in equipment. Sometimes, when you pay too much for a product, you convince yourself you made a good decision. I don't buy it. I see this a snake oil. Sorry.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
Just a spare.
Yes, it is my understanding that some manufacturers do place a spare inside.
I plan to hail the folks at Bryston (Excellent Customer By the Way) just to be sure (on the BDP3 as well).

As an aside, I spoke with the folks at SR today and their recommendation was to begin at the source and work one's way out with the amps being last. Also, the treatment of their fuses goes in the direction of the writing so left to right from the wall socket. Lastly, if beginning from scratch, go with the Orange.

Apologies if I veered slightly off topic.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
I have so much faith in Bryston, as a company from past dealings with them, that I firmly believe that if fuses made a favorable sonic improvement in the sound of their equipment, they would have incorporated fuse changes in all their projects, and simply raise the prices to accommodate the extra expense. To date, I have not read the specific sonic improvement that fuses have on equipment from those who advocate replacing fuses in equipment. Sometimes, when you pay too much for a product, you convince yourself you made a good decision. I don't buy it. I see this a snake oil. Sorry.
gbaby

Your point is very well taken! I for one have treaded very lightly on tweaks from cables to vibration control to USB "cleansing" devices. IMO, some worked, some did not and others fell into diminishing returns. All this despite rave reviews from folks who's opinion I well value and respect. It's all system, room and wallet dependent. I am a big DIY guy, from soldering cables to butcher block shelves and plumbing supply vibration pads.

Perhaps in the manufacture of equipment and the spirit of competitiveness tweaks need to be weighted and balanced. That said, as crazy as fuse replacement sounded to me just a few months back, I may well give it a try. Only with a trial period however. That I have learned. As a friend with an earned PhD in electrical engineering I corner from time to time says "you audiophiles will believe anything if you spend enough money."

I say if it's doable, give it a try and maybe you'll like.
Crazy Hobby...
Old 10-21-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
There are many users reporting on their first-hand experiences with audiophile fuses and I've never seen anyone claim this result.

I used aftermarket fuses in a previous system to good effect but was advised by the fuse manufacturer to use the higher rated fuse (not the manufacturer’s spec) when the proper ones blew out twice. This would void the warranty on most gear if some damage were to occur. So it is worth considering if you can’t use the manufacturer’s spec’d fuse for some reason.

But they can impart positive benefits on par with power receptacles.

None of my gear has easily accessible fuses so I haven’t used any aftermarket fuses in my latest system. But based on my experience with them, I would if I could.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 10-21-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
If that were the case then Bryston would have included a better power cord and footers.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. Try it for yourself. If you like it great, if you don’t you have 30 days to return it for a full refund. Until then you can not comment on their performance or even think about calling them snake oil.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jordan View Post
gbaby

Your point is very well taken! I for one have treaded very lightly on tweaks from cables to vibration control to USB "cleansing" devices. IMO, some worked, some did not and others fell into diminishing returns. All this despite rave reviews from folks who's opinion I well value and respect. It's all system, room and wallet dependent. I am a big DIY guy, from soldering cables to butcher block shelves and plumbing supply vibration pads.

Perhaps in the manufacture of equipment and the spirit of competitiveness tweaks need to be weighted and balanced. That said, as crazy as fuse replacement sounded to me just a few months back, I may well give it a try. Only with a trial period however. That I have learned. As a friend with an earned PhD in electrical engineering I corner from time to time says "you audiophiles will believe anything if you spend enough money."

I say if it's doable, give it a try and maybe you'll like.
Crazy Hobby...
Thanks John. I do believe in things like cables as I have all silver cables and the difference I heard was cleaner and more pronounced sound in all frequency ranges. In fact, the sonic improvement was so obvious that I changed all my cables from speaker wires to to component connections to silver cables from better cables.com. It stands to reason why silver cables would make a difference in that silver has less resistance and act as a better conduit. Buying fuses, I have to draw the line on this one knowing what fuses do. Again, no one has articulated the sonic improvements fuses give you. A different sound does not translate to a better sound. I have purchased so many expensive preamps in the past and I have never been satisfied with my sound until I purchased my Bryston SP3 with no room correction. When ATMOS arrived, I listened to a demo of it, and it felt so gimmicky with sound coming from the ceiling I felt zero compulsion to join the ranks of ATMOS lovers. I have never heard object based sound in real life. Living near Cherry Point Marine base, I hear lots of helicopters and jets. The sound is omnipresent and not object based. I also did not buy into room correction. There are some folks in the industry that I have learned to trust. One is James Tanner the other is Kal Rubinson who reviews equipment. If they tried fuses, they would both articulate the sonic improvements from the fuse changes. To date, I have not seen any writings on this subject from them so I don't feel compelled to try it. I am too busy enjoying my music as I am satisfied with my Bryston system. But, I thank you for your kind and civil response.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
If that were the case then Bryston would have included a better power cord and footers.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. Try it for yourself. If you like it great, if you don’t you have 30 days to return it for a full refund. Until then you can not comment on their performance or even think about calling them snake oil.
True, but perhaps their equipment they design and power cords they use are don't need power cords or footers, I don't know. I do know that everything I have purchased from Bryston from pre-pros, amps, D/A converters to digital players have made me a loyal customer. The only reason for me to try fuses is that I am dissatisfied with my sound I cannot say this. I love listening to my software with Bryston equipment. Bryston is the most honest company I have dealt with so I am a customer for life.