AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 01-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Default Ella Fitzgerald - Twelve Nights in Hollywood

4 CD set, limited to 8K copies. Word on the audiophile street is these are unbelieveable, pristine, very well mastered & a jewel to anyones library. I've copied info from a retailer on this set (see below).

I ordered it as I love Ella and those that have it have nothing but praise for this set. Her voice, to me, sounds the best when she was younger, as here in 1961.

Sold out at B&N, Borders doesn't list it, neither does MD, ED, AS, CD Universe, BUT is available from Hippo-select for $69.98:

HIPO

Ella Fitzgerald’s Twelve Nights In Hollywood is an unprecedented release – a 4-CD box set of 73 completely unreleased live recordings from Ella in her relaxed, absolute prime.

For Twelve Nights In Hollywood Verve Select dug into the vault to collect the best performances across her extended 10-night 1961 engagement at Los Angeles’ Crescendo Club – which originally resulted in the hit LP Ella In Hollywood – and her two-night return engagement the following year, presenting an unforgettable experience that puts you right in the front seat at the club. It’s more than a glimpse of Ella at her height, it’s as if you got to hang out at the Crescendo every night; you can hear her joke with the crowd, with the band (led by her longtime pianist Lou Levy), then turn around a jaw-dropping improvisation with seeming ease.

Even if you own Ella In Hollywood – and you should – this box set does not repeat a single performance from the original album, nor does it repeat the single tracks that were issued from the 1962 show; we found fantastic alternates to “Bill Bailey” and “Ol’ Man Mose.”

Twelve Nights In Hollywood includes several tracks Ella had never recorded before, like” I Found A New Baby;” tracks she was recording live for the first time, like “’Round Midnight” and “Ac-cent-tchu-ate The Positive;” tracks she had just recorded or was about to record in the studio, like “You’re Driving Me Crazy;” and old chestnuts, from “Mr. Paganini” to “A-Tisket, A Tasket,” she revisited in a fresh way.

Those highlights are just a few of the ones found in Twelve Nights In Hollywood. She delights on “Take The ‘A’ Train.” “Joe Williams’ Blues.” “But Not For Me.” “Nice Work If You Can Get It.” “Perdido” – and on and on.
Twelve Nights In Hollywood was mastered from original stereo and mono sources, originally recorded by Verve’s house engineer Val Valentin, that were supervised by Verve chief Norman Granz; he is audible throughout the discs, shaping the set on the fly. The 4-CDs are housed in exquisite packaging – same dimensions as the Oscar set, complete with extensive liner notes by former Verve producer and executive Richard Seidel, detailed annotations, rare photos, and specially commissioned album cover art by Hall of Fame illustrator Bart Forbes.

There have been several Ella live albums, but this is indeed unlike any other.
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:46 AM

Bob,

Thanks for the info. Ella is one of my favs also. I've read about this box set and comes highly recommended to anyone who likes Ella and her music.

I have ordered my copy.

Dave
Old 01-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Just received this set -- there is a sad part, which I'll address in a minute ---- and rescheduled my playing plans for the day as I really wanted to hear it. I've since learned the CDs were mastered from the original tapes, which were produced by Norman Granz, Verve’s founder and Fitzgerald’s longtime manager.

First, the box set is really cool -- it's in a hard cover book presentation with the 4 discs located in the rear, each houses in a stiff constructed page with a slot for the CD.

The begining of the book, combines 14 pages or so of written & first rate pictures of the times at Crescendo Club and introductions. This is followed with 20 pages of brief synopsis' of each song & more pictures on several of those pages.

It sounds fantastic & I've yet to hear any tape hiss or something similiar. Her voice shines thru on every track - and you'd be hard pressed to criticize this 1961 recording. First rate and am a happy camper.

Pics of the hardcovered book/CD packaging/layout.

Oh, the sad part -- only 3 of the 4 discs made it into the packaging -- so, this will go back for a replacement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ella Twelve Nights 010910 001.jpg (79.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Ella Twelve Nights 010910 002.jpg (81.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Ella Twelve Nights 010910 003.jpg (78.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Ella Twelve Nights 010910 005.jpg (89.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Ella Twelve Nights 010910 007.jpg (77.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Ella Twelve Nights 010910 006.jpg (77.9 KB, 1 views)
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.

Last edited by vintage_tube; 01-09-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Listener in Training

I read a review of it over the holidays (in WSJ.com I think) and they raved. If you're an Ella fan, it is a must-have.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 01-10-2010, 09:13 AM

Location: Constitution State. Formerly known as the Nutmeg State

I just saw it on Amazon for $55.99.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the heads up guys, I love Ella.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Just spoke with the internet dealer whom I purchased the set from -- very kind and understanding individual. He advised the box sets he has have all been claimed & will get with his supplier and make sure I get disc #4 by the end of the month.

I'm fine w/that solution. Still curious how something like that happens as it's quite obvious.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Listener in Training

Well, since this article came out today, it wasn't in WSJ.com I read it (see previous post):
Ella Fitzgerald, Twelve Nights in Hollywood | By Will Friedwald - WSJ.com

It may have been NYT.com or NewYorker.com, or something else I read the first time!
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 02-05-2010, 04:24 PM

Got the set today, thanks for the heads up once again! We have a foot of snow coming and I have my weekend listening session planned now.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Got the set today, thanks for the heads up once again! We have a foot of snow coming and I have my weekend listening session planned now.
You're welcomed -- This is a fantastic CD set. Yes, nasty weather here too -- just perfect for staying indoors and listening to music this weekend.

Last edited by vintage_tube; 02-05-2010 at 08:37 PM.