AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 09-25-2012, 08:37 AM
Go Dawgs

That's an outstanding system, like the room as well. Congrats!
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 09-25-2012, 09:10 AM

Incredible Toga !
Big big Congrats !
Old 09-25-2012, 09:16 AM

Spectacular Toga!
Old 09-25-2012, 11:15 AM

Hi all, A few points to be made here.
1. do not congrats yet, these are demo units
2. I am not a professional reviewer
3. a test I will made in these 4 days is complicate as they're 2 pre amps and 2(4) power amps involved, there are 4 possible pairings.
4. I will keep all variable as constant as possible, but one thing that is impossible is that
I can't use same model of AC power cord for two pre amp as ARC use 20A inlet.
5. I will use 2 power cords that sound extremely different in character with DAC, that make
the comparison even harder. Audioquest NRG10 with gold plated Oyaide plug, make dark and opaque but dense sound, while Audioquest WEL make light, thin, brighter and extremely detailed sound. I will switch between these two cords on DAC. Transport is fed by Shunyata Anaconda CX, ARC Ref40 by RSA HZ Crown, all power power amps by Transparent PLMM2x, C3800 by Audioquest WEL.
Toga
FYI $$$ of C3800 = Pass Labs XP50 (one Xp20+one Xp30)
A200 = XA200.5
this is something that .. I will have to consider as well, regarded value for money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0052_resize.jpg (81.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0055_resize.jpg (64.3 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0056_resize.jpg (79.8 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by TOGA; 09-25-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I am a sucker for a pretty face. The Accuphase would be staying because any differences in sound would be minimal and I know I could live with it.

Jim
... I wholeheartedly agree. I'd have a very hard time not keeping the Accuphase... that is one roomfull of gorgeous... toys!!!..
Old 09-25-2012, 11:35 AM
From the BAT cave ...

Toga, that is just magnificent!
Old 09-25-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
Toga, that is just magnificent!
Old 09-25-2012, 12:17 PM

Ok, are you ready ? I am ready to share some of my thoughs.
How to start.
ok, my basic system is Accuphase player>ARC Ref40>Moon W7M.
first I wanted to compare C3800 with ARC Ref 40. So I put(cold) C3800 in. At first it sound really similar to ARC Ref40, overall quality is similar, the smoothness, quietness. Tonally Accuphase sound denser and warmer in the lower frequency, a bit darker despite fed with AQ WEL. sound feel a bit slower and a little bit less slam from C3800, bass from C3800 is softer. But overall C3800 make very beautiful sound with Moon Power amp, I really like how it sound.
Ok, then A200 is fully warmed up (hot), I connected A200 and switch phase from DC901 to Accuphase standard. Now I have full Accuphase system feeding Magico Q3.
What a surprise, to my ear, A200 sound very similar to Moon W7M. even thinner and leaner and colder sounding ... how come ???? voices was not as lush as I expected from Class A amps. When I play TELARC Pomp & PIZZAZ at high level, so loud, but at peak
the digital held value at only 138 watt. that was still within A200 comfort zone for 5 ohm load, but I felt it lack slam and punch.. Magico can punch much harder than this.
So there must be something wrong in matching. or can it be the Rodium plated wall outlet that I plugged A200 into ? Should I change it to gold plated ? No I don't have
time and energy to replace wall socket at this time.
This kind of tonality I know very well was mainly from Audio Quest WEL power cord.
So I removed WEL out of DC901 DAC, and finally found one that match well. It's the Oyaide Tunami GPX. With Tunami feeding DAC, now full Accuphase system sound tonally spot on, lush, warm and highly beautiful sounding. Piano is the best sounding I have heard here.
Ok the last testing is the most important as it is the most likely to happen.
that is ARC Ref40+A200. But judging from C3800 sound, I can sell ARC Ref40 without feeling bad as well. I don't care that Ref40 is limited or collectible as ARC is releasing twin of it in the name of Ref10 anyway, for this test I will do later, not tonight.
One thing I really want to share is how does Burmester 077+911 compare to
C3800+A200, using DP900+DC901 as source.
I can tell you that they are like from different planets.
With Burmester, I said WOW... what a really great sounding as soon as I play first song.
Sound so clear, so powerful, unbelievably powerful. deep bass was forceful, speed and timing made music so fun. Sound so real make me feel like in a concert. I really have fun listening to many kind of music on Burmester. of course there was a " but " . But after five minutes I asked myself do I want to listen to this powerful sound all day long ??
My ear felt pain from very strong deep infra bass that keep pressurized my ear drum.
Also, may be due to lower S/N ratio from very high gain 911. I always know that I listening from hifi system, as soon as I increase volume I know that I turn Burmester on,
there is something that keep telling me that the Burmester was on play. oh and don't try early digital recording with it.
Accuphase C3800+A200 didn't make me WOW from the start, but it disappeared and make beautiful sound. they will never be in combat mode like Burmester do. But they make music beautiful and smooth to the ears most of the time, here is truly art for the ears. Speed, impact and punch were presented in very different way from Burmester's.
Ok Now I will go enjoy music from these Accuphase system for a few more hours before bed.
Toga

Last edited by TOGA; 09-25-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:15 PM

Did you get a DF-55 active crossover? You know you NEED one.

(you know I had to bring that up! It's necessary for any super-system.)
Old 09-25-2012, 01:15 PM

Toga:

Thanks for sharing. It's great to read your impressions with some of the most highly regarded, and desirable, components manufactured today. You room is ridiculous .