AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 04-23-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4music View Post
I used 803D3 for a year. Great speaker, but not for a room as big as yours. Currently own 802D3 and 800D2 in separate systems. You best choice is 802 D3 out of those you mentioned. Of course 800D3 would be the best, but it was not mentioned as a choice.
My original budget was for the 803d3 but my hifi retailer said the same. So it will have to be the 802d3.

Cannot afford the 800d3s. If 802s can't fill the room, then I will need to add a sub.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulphoosreal View Post
I would disagree with you on a number of issues. That being the one size fits all doesn't always apply. I. E. How about room size. My 7 Ts go down to 28 HZ. But, in my room which is 34x23 ft., I need bass reinforcement. Does that mean they were designed incorrectly?
I see your point. I think speaker manufacturers produce a range of speakers to accommodate different room sizes and, when used in a space optimal for a particular model, are not intended to require a sub. Going to an extreme as an example, if one were to use bookshelf speakers as the mains in a very large room, then sure, a subwoofer would be beneficial. But I don't think that the manufacturer expected that speaker to serve that purpose.

The OP is facing this very issue in choosing between 802s and 803s for his particular room size.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsg View Post
My original budget was for the 803d3 but my hifi retailer said the same. So it will have to be the 802d3.

Cannot afford the 800d3s. If 802s can't fill the room, then I will need to add a sub.
If the room is 15 feet wide and you listen 12-15 feet away, does the depth of the room behind you matter? With a standard 8 ft ceiling and effectively a 13 ft listening triangle, I'm surprised the 803s wouldn't be more than adequate (presuming you have something delivering 175+ watts). I have these dimensions (but higher ceiling) and I feel the low tones on my organ CDs in my sternum and get full concert hall acoustic on symphonic works.

Alternatively, I can't imagine that you'd ever be disappointed with the 802s in that space, if your budget allows.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
If the room is 15 feet wide and you listen 12-15 feet away, does the depth of the room behind you matter? With a standard 8 ft ceiling and effectively a 13 ft listening triangle, I'm surprised the 803s wouldn't be more than adequate (presuming you have something delivering 175+ watts). I have these dimensions (but higher ceiling) and I feel the low tones on my organ CDs in my sternum and get full concert hall acoustic on symphonic works.

Alternatively, I can't imagine that you'd ever be disappointed with the 802s in that space, if your budget allows.
Based on my audition of the 803d3 in a reasonably large theatre cladded room but still smaller than my living room, I thereafter had this worry that the speaker will be a bit underwhelming bass and scale wise.

I wasn't surprised when my more informed and experienced second dealer told me I needed 802s or 800s. Blew my budget...
Old 04-24-2017, 12:03 PM

Well, if you blow (blew?) your budget, I'm confident the pleasure sensors in your brain will readily beat down the fiscally responsible part (I forget my neuro anatomy, but I imagine it can happen).

In the event you haven't committed, is a home audition possible? If you have two [nearby?] dealers, I should think one would accommodate the request.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
Well, if you blow (blew?) your budget, I'm confident the pleasure sensors in your brain will readily beat down the fiscally responsible part (I forget my neuro anatomy, but I imagine it can happen).

In the event you haven't committed, is a home audition possible? If you have two [nearby?] dealers, I should think one would accommodate the request.
I doubt it will be physically possible for home audition.

Have just committed...

the *unbearable* wait begins...eta either 5 or 8th May.

Now unto the sad task of selling my cm9s...
Old 04-24-2017, 08:24 PM

*unbearable* ?!? That's only two weeks!! You're weak (haha)

At least you can take comfort in knowing you're not the first to blow the budget in building the ideal audio system. Frankly, I think it's expected. And sadly, ADs know it!

Looking forward to the review. You should be very excited.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:00 AM

Weak... that's only 2 weeks. Buck up buttercup!

I waited like 4 weeks for mine, and the delivery day was a mess... it was like delayed 6 hours that day.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:55 AM

haha..It was harder waiting for the macs as I bought it without knowing how it sounded.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:28 AM

3 or 4 more days to go.