AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tubes & Valves

Tubes & Valves Upgrades, Spares & General Comments

Old 03-10-2018, 05:11 PM
Listener in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_tube View Post
Looks like some of the original equipment -- tooling and such will be in use at the new facility.

"Furthering our commitment to manufacturing excellence, we are installing new hydrogen reduction ovens, automated cathode cleaning lines, new laser welding systems, a state-of-the-art water deionization plant, and an updated testing system with improved accuracy. However, the 300B will still be manufactured from its original tooling and assembly specification standards.

Although we’ve invested in a modernized production line, many of its aspects will of course remain true to tradition. For example, the core material, the so-called “secret sauce” embedded in each cathode is derived from an original Hawthorne Works 1963 melt. Western Electric’s attention to each delicate detail and historic promise of quality place the WE 300B in a category of its own."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTVe...ature=youtu.be

Best Sirs,

Bob
Bob, thanks for that youtube video. I also watched the one that came up afterwards, describing some of the history of vacuum tubes, their operation and manufacturing, from 1940. Not only was it interesting for the education, but the narrator, Lowell Thomas, was the guy who popularized Lawrence of Arabia as an American journalist in WWI. As a young boy, I met Lowell Thomas when he was doing a book tour in the 70s.

In the video, it was interesting to see that much of the manufacturing work was done by women, especially since this was before the US got dragged into WW II.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 03-10-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_tube View Post
Sure does & even though I've never been in a tube manufacturing facility, I understand it's quite hazardous.

My take on WE's Georgia manufacturing - it's a big deal to WE and with their 80th anniversary on top of it, I seriously doubt and that's underlined, that their 2018 300B will be anywhere close to a step backwards from yesteryear.

I'm speculating it will be as sonically identical as can be humanly and production capable or better, but; no way will it be received as inferior.

I just wished they'd make some 12v tubes -- wow, that'd be amazing -- USA made from a well known, established tube manufacturer. I'd be one of their first in line.

Sometimes though wishes comes true.

Best Sirs,

Bob

I agree Bob.
They have too much fame to come out with a tube of less quality than what they always made.
They are "condamned" to excellence.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:54 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
I can start looking for an amp!
Bart - Might want to wait and see what WE offers for amps. Supposed have a few new ones at some point. Will your guy (Halgorythme) build a 300B amp?
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-10-2018, 06:30 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Bart - Might want to wait and see what WE offers for amps. Supposed have a few new ones at some point. Will your guy (Halgorythme) build a 300B amp?
Glenn, he does!

http://www.halgorythme.com
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 03-11-2018, 02:41 AM

Quote:

Bart,
The 1605 amps that you are using could be transformed by Cedric into 300B ones : but you will need 6 pairs of WE tubes for your 3 amps. [emoji15]
Old 03-11-2018, 08:02 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Bart,
The 1605 amps that you are using could be transformed by Cedric into 300B ones : but you will need 6 pairs of WE tubes for your 3 amps. [emoji15]

Jérôme, I'm very happy with my Emission Labs sound now.
But as my daughters are slowly leaving the house, a couple of rooms might become available for a second system...
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 03-11-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Jérôme, I'm very happy with my Emission Labs sound now.

But as my daughters are slowly leaving the house, a couple of rooms might become available for a second system...

Oh I see ! That's super cool to have multiple flavors at home.
The Halgorythme 1605 amps are awesome. You are flying business. I can understand easily why you do not "need" anything more.
However, when less power is required by the speakers, I can testify that the 300B Western Electric would be head and shoulders above the Emission Labs tubes. You would be in the first class cabin.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:46 AM
Listener in Training

Quote:
Bart, what a terrific product lineup! You must really enjoy that gear. And it definitely makes sense to make use of an otherwise underused-room. I'm sure your daughters may come back more often (my son graduates from university in May, so I know the feeling) with a nice warm 300B system to serenade them...
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 03-11-2018, 11:10 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Oh I see ! That's super cool to have multiple flavors at home.
The Halgorythme 1605 amps are awesome. You are flying business. I can understand easily why you do not "need" anything more.
However, when less power is required by the speakers, I can testify that the 300B Western Electric would be head and shoulders above the Emission Labs tubes. You would be in the first class cabin.

Jérôme, exactly.
My research for very sensitive speakers, with the same transparency as my Vivids, can start.
Oh my, this hobby never stops.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:14 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post
Bart, what a terrific product lineup! You must really enjoy that gear. And it definitely makes sense to make use of an otherwise underused-room. I'm sure your daughters may come back more often (my son graduates from university in May, so I know the feeling) with a nice warm 300B system to serenade them...

Yes Paul!
And the beauty of it is that I live only half an hour from the producer of the amps.
I can try out all of his new creations.
He's made some very interesting things lately, from 2x4W integrateds, to 2x12W power amps that sound super.
He has a waiting list of 6-9 months, so he must be doing something good.