AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 04-20-2017, 08:54 AM

Default Bryston active speakers

HI Folks,

I am going to start a thread on all things relating to the Bryston Active speakers.

The first versions will be the Model T and the Middle T.

james
Old 04-20-2017, 08:55 AM

BRYSTON MODEL T ACTIVE SPEAKER

The Bryston Model T loudspeaker is also available in a fully ACTIVE version.

Active loudspeakers differ from Passive speakers in that the crossover that determines which drivers (Tweeter, Midrange and Woofer) get which audio frequencies is controlled by an ELECTRONIC crossover placed between the preamp and the power amplifiers rather than the passive crossover version which is typically built into the loudspeaker. Also all the drivers in the loudspeaker (T.M.W.) have an independent amplifier channel controlling them as opposed to a Passive crossover where one amplifier channel controls all the drivers in the speaker. So an Active 3-way speaker like the Bryston Model T requires 3 separate amplifier channels per speaker whereas the Model T Passive only requires one amplifier channel per speaker.

The advantage of an electronic crossover placed between the preamplifier and the power amplifiers is all the speaker control (crossover slopes, crossover points, gain etc.) are performed at what is called low level signal levels whereas passive crossovers are operating at what is referred to as high level signal levels. Manipulating and adjusting signals at low levels is far more accurate than attempting the same with high level signals. So if you look at the frequency response, the crossover slopes and the volume levels per driver required the Active crossover provides much more accuracy than the passive option.

If you refer to the graph below of the Bryston Model T Active loudspeaker you will see two curves – one (upper) is the ‘Listening Window’ and the other is the ‘Sound Power Response’. With an Active crossover we can adjust and design these two performance areas of the speaker separately and independently whereas with a passive crossover they have to be adjusted in tandem. So in a passive system an adjustment on the listening window affects the sound power directly and vice-versa. The importance of the listening window and power response in a loudspeaker is explained in detail in another white paper available on request. So the flexibility and accuracy that Active crossovers provide cannot be underestimated from a performance perspective.

The other advantage of Active loudspeaker systems is the fact that the amplifiers output stage is directly connected to the loudspeaker driver. So the Woofer, Midrange and Tweeter all have separate amplifiers controlling their movement directly rather than having to deal with passive components (capacitors, inductors, resistors etc.) required by passive networks.

If you recognize that music is essentially a transient condition, a ‘stopping and starting’ as the music signal requires then any system that can control this stopping and starting of the drivers is much more capable of an accurate rendition of the input signal.

The transient response improvement with the direct connection between the amplifier and speaker in the active system. is mainly due to the fact that the main filter components in a passive crossover network, the inductors and capacitors, are energy storage devices. By definition they both suffer from forms of hysteresis where there is a delay between the energy storage and the release of that energy. This leads to a distortion of the signal’s time signature and it will also be frequency dependant to some extent. The other big area of benefit is that fact that the passive filter network has intrinsic losses and these losses translate directly into a reduction in the amplifier power that actually makes it to the loudspeaker drivers. Removing those losses from the equation translates into a more efficient transfer of energy between the amplifier and the loudspeaker.

If you are considering moving to an Active system at some point in the future then purchasing the Bryston ‘Signature’ version of the Model T loudspeaker is a great first step. You would simply replace the external passive crossover that comes with the Signature version of the speaker with the Bryston BAX-1 Active crossover and add 4 more channels of amplification.

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 04-20-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:34 PM

HI Folks,

Soundstage Magazine is coming out with an article on May 1st regarding the state of Active Speakers now and in the past and the Bryston Model T Active is featured in the article.

Favorite Quote:

"Their all-Bryston system in 2017 reproduced incredibly deep, tight bass; beautifully clear, detailed mids; superbly extended highs; and a soundstage as awe-inspiring for its width as for its depth.

Rarely, at any audio show, have I heard a system sound so good!"

james
Old 04-27-2017, 12:37 PM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Going Active

April, 2017

Model T BAX-1 Active Crossover

Hi James,

I don't know if you remember about an email I sent you regarding my decision to go from the PMC IB2i's to the Model T Signatures.

Just wanted to give you an update...

Up to this point I have been using a Esoteric K-03x as my cd player, a Esoteric C-03x as my preamp, an Esoteric A-02 as my amp with the Model t's. I have been very happy with this setup. BUT, I have been waiting for the BAX-1 crossover to come available,
and now that it is, I have been thinking of going active.

If I went active with the Esoteric A-02, I would need 2 more, and the cost would be outrageous. So instead it decided to test my single 7B3 (which I have been using on my center channel) on one of the model T's against the A-02, in mono mode.

I was surprised how well the 7B3 performed, so much that I found it difficult to like one over the other. Each had great qualities, but in the end, I found the 7B3 would make me just as happy. Plus the fact that it would improve even more in the active setup.

So, I ending up ordering another single 7B3 and a BAX-1 today, to get me started. I know the Bax-1 will be a longer wait time than the amp, so I can at least run my Model T's in passive mode for now.

I will have to wait for my A-02 to sell before I can get the 2-4B3's, and go active at that point. I will keep you updated on my findings.

Adol
Old 05-03-2017, 02:37 PM

SUBJECT: Pulsworks Audio Arts Active Demo

May, 2017

Model T Active System Open House at Pulsworks

Hi James,

Ken and I have just been listening to the new active system before our event tomorrow.

Although we were always happy with the T's in passive configuration and even more impressed with the Signature version, this active system is on an entirely different level!

The regulars around here know I (Ken) generally don't listen very loud. I find most systems get hard and annoying long before they approach clipping or dynamic compression.

They were amazed, however, to walk into a session where I was literally fluttering pant legs and rattling everything in the room with a big smile of my face!

This system is so clean, pure and powerful that amazing levels can be reached without any hint of hardening or strain. The bass is more powerful, clean and extended that I have ever heard in any system, even those with stacks of uber expensive subwoofers. The upper and mid frequencies also lose a level of grain, become tonally more accurate and are therefore much more revealing of timber and space.

This is a significant upgrade over performance as we already suggested stated was perfectly good! I am sure this system will impress all that hear it, and thank you for giving us the opportunity to demonstrate the new Bryston Model T active system.

Ken Roach/David Puls
Pulsworks Audio Arts
Old 05-04-2017, 02:51 PM

SUBJECT: Bryston BAX-1 Digital Crossover GUI

May, 2017

Model T BAX-1 Active Crossover GUI

Hi Folks,

Please see below the GUI that is available with the new Bryston BAX-1 Digital Electronic Crossover.

Most room problems occur below 120Hz due to standing wave issues.

The BAX-1 GUI allows you to modify the factory preset frequencies from 30Hz to 120Hz in 1Hz steps. You can also enter any frequency you wish and make the same adjustments.

You can ‘increase’ the gain a maximum of 3dB or ‘reduce’ the gain by 6dB in 0.1 increments at the frequency chosen.

You can also adjust the ‘Q Factor’ in 0.1 steps. The factory setting for Q is ‘3’

The Red Line in the graph at the bottom indicates the changes you are making.

After making the appropriate adjustment just hit SAVE.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:14 PM

BRYSTON MEMO

May 2017

Hi James

The Bryston Active Speaker Demo Show was fantastic!

The Bryston room was packed all night with many people exclaiming that they had never heard anything like this in their life! With the striking of the bass drum in the Finale of Stravinsky’s Firebird Suite many people were in disbelief at the impact of what they just heard.

So many people dropped their jaw, eyes wide open, some shouting out “Yea!!!” very loudly, and others simply sitting speechless as their pant legs rustled with the sonic impact.

It was an experience and a delight to behold. It was a great evening!

Thank you for helping to make the evening a very memorable one for more than the 150 people that came out. This was the first time that any of those present heard an active system—a whole new experience in itself.

I even have a few clients tell me that they have never heard anything like it—this is a great step forward. I think that it is likely that at least two people will upgrade their Model T’s to active.

Again, thank you for a great evening of music at Pulsworks.

David Puls
Pulsworks Audio Arts

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 05-05-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:31 PM

Hey James

The demo at Pulsworks was fantastic. The night belonged to Bryston ....we had a full room the entire evening.

Wow is all I can say....the resolution and detail of the system was amazing.....top to bottom extension was amazing .....no sub required.

I will add to this when I get home

Garry Taylor
Old 05-06-2017, 04:54 PM

James

Thank you for making such a great speaker as the T active system.

I think it is an amazing system that makes music come alive.

Have a great day!

David
Old 05-08-2017, 03:12 PM

Hi James

A follow up to my involvement in the recent Bryston Model T Active speaker demo at Puls Audio.

The demo was very impressive......the systems had incredible control in the room starting with the bottom end through to the highs. I think everybody that entered the Bryston active room thought that we had a sub woofer operating with the system. The bass response moved your body as will as your pant leg were flapping, however it was in total control at all times never hearing any distortion from the system and with this the volumes levels were right up there with no harshness or grain.....it was big fun demoing and listening to this system.

The balance of the system from top to bottom was as good as I have heard on any system at any price point.

Active is the way to go once you hear it and many people said this after entering another room which was 3 times the price and running passive ( nice system )
however everyone ended up back in the Bryston room with the active system!

You have no idea until how good this is until you sit down and listen to it for yourself!!

Garry Taylor