AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > What are you Grilling?

What are you Grilling? What's Cooking

Old 08-05-2011, 01:11 PM

Now for you guys that do not have a smoker rig, I have a present for you. This is a recipe I got from the Food Network and it is not authentic Q, but it is from a Texas chef and it is about 80% of the Q that I make in my backyard with my smoker, but way easier. You are not going to get any burnt ends, but the taste is remarkable. I have been cooking for 30 years & I don't know how such a simple collection of spices makes it taste like it was cooked outside, but it does!

This is a recipe a Texas Chef came up with on the Food Network. The nice thing about it is almost brain dead to prepare that even the most inept cook could handle. It is great in cold climes when you don't feel like going outside for Q. Another great point is that it works with Brisket or Pulled Pork! The spices used are nothing mysterious but somehow have a great smoked taste (no burnt ends of course). Also no 24 hours in the fridge, make it when you want it. Of course since I lean toward North Carolina Q, I add a TBS or so of vinegar to the pan juices, for that NC tang. When I do pork I get a big picnic shoulder (about 9 lbs). It is cheaper in price than just the butt and you get more meat. In addition when you use pork, soft white buns and cole slaw are a must. Enjoy.

Texas Oven-Roasted Beef Brisket
Recipe courtesy Tom Perini
Prep Time: 10 min
Inactive Prep Time: --
Cook Time: 4 hr 0 min
Level: Easy
Serves: 10 servings

Ingredients
• 2 tablespoons chili powder
• 2 tablespoons salt
• 1 tablespoon garlic powder
• 1 tablespoon onion powder
• 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 2 teaspoons dry mustard
• 1 bay leaf, crushed
• 4 pounds beef brisket, trimmed
• 1 1/2 cups beef stock

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Make a dry rub by combining chili powder, salt, garlic and onion powders, black pepper, sugar, dry mustard, and bay leaf. Season the raw brisket on both sides with the rub. Place in a roasting pan and roast, uncovered, for 1 hour.
Add beef stock and enough water to yield about 1/2 to 1 inch of liquid in the roasting pan. Lower oven to 300 degrees F, cover pan tightly and continue cooking for 3 hours, or until fork-tender.
Trim the fat and slice meat thinly across the grain. Top with juice from the pan.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjjpdc View Post
Now for you guys that do not have a smoker rig, I have a present for you. This is a recipe I got from the Food Network and it is not authentic Q, but it is from a Texas chef and it is about 80% of the Q that I make in my backyard with my smoker, but way easier. You are not going to get any burnt ends, but the taste is remarkable. I have been cooking for 30 years & I don't know how such a simple collection of spices makes it taste like it was cooked outside, but it does!

This is a recipe a Texas Chef came up with on the Food Network. The nice thing about it is almost brain dead to prepare that even the most inept cook could handle. It is great in cold climes when you don't feel like going outside for Q. Another great point is that it works with Brisket or Pulled Pork! The spices used are nothing mysterious but somehow have a great smoked taste (no burnt ends of course). Also no 24 hours in the fridge, make it when you want it. Of course since I lean toward North Carolina Q, I add a TBS or so of vinegar to the pan juices, for that NC tang. When I do pork I get a big picnic shoulder (about 9 lbs). It is cheaper in price than just the butt and you get more meat. In addition when you use pork, soft white buns and cole slaw are a must. Enjoy.

Texas Oven-Roasted Beef Brisket
Recipe courtesy Tom Perini
Prep Time: 10 min
Inactive Prep Time: --
Cook Time: 4 hr 0 min
Level: Easy
Serves: 10 servings

Ingredients
• 2 tablespoons chili powder
• 2 tablespoons salt
• 1 tablespoon garlic powder
• 1 tablespoon onion powder
• 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 2 teaspoons dry mustard
• 1 bay leaf, crushed
• 4 pounds beef brisket, trimmed
• 1 1/2 cups beef stock

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Make a dry rub by combining chili powder, salt, garlic and onion powders, black pepper, sugar, dry mustard, and bay leaf. Season the raw brisket on both sides with the rub. Place in a roasting pan and roast, uncovered, for 1 hour.
Add beef stock and enough water to yield about 1/2 to 1 inch of liquid in the roasting pan. Lower oven to 300 degrees F, cover pan tightly and continue cooking for 3 hours, or until fork-tender.
Trim the fat and slice meat thinly across the grain. Top with juice from the pan.

Thank you for this amazing recipe....im going to try it.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Merry Christmas to all

There's nothing wrong with good ol' bar-b-qued pork chops, either.

Yum, Yum.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-05-2011, 05:52 PM
That's a Deusy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
There's nothing wrong with good ol' bar-b-qued pork chops, either.

Yum, Yum.

I have a buddy that use Dr Pepper in his brisket marinade will try to find and post with his permission
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003
Old 08-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Doug.......Dr. Pepper? That's nothing but carbonated prune juice.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-05-2011, 07:13 PM
That's a Deusy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Doug.......Dr. Pepper? That's nothing but carbonated prune juice.

Trust me Dan the taste of this sauce is otherworldly

His Brisket has won the Kansas City Royal

Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

Old 08-06-2011, 01:27 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglax View Post

Trust me Dan the taste of this sauce is otherworldly

His Brisket has won the Kansas City Royal

Dr Pepper is well known as a marinade ingredient for more than brisket. So is Coke. However, no Pepsi.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:16 PM
That's a Deusy !

Bill,
Have you ever used peach wood...it is one of my favorites?

Old 08-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglax View Post
Bill,
Have you ever used peach wood...it is one of my favorites?

Absolutely. Will be doing Copper River Salmon with it shortly!
Old 08-06-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPandy View Post
Americans do the best BBQ, whole art form not mastered down under. We are too busy charring the crap out anything that swims or walks.

MP - it sounds delicious. I'll enjoy by proxy
It is interesting that even here is the US, "barbeque" is a noun (not only for food but for an event "he's having a barbeque") and a verb. I think up North, where I am, it's almost synonymous with "grilling"- which is what I think you were headed for Andy, as in "throw another xxxx on the barbie."

I am far from an expert on how to do it, but low-n-slow 'q is something to behold. In the last year there's been an outbreak of roadside bbq trucks up here. Mostly on weekends, these folks show up in parking areas in parking lots of businesses closed on the weekends. I haven't stopped yet, but boy does it smell great!

I would like to learn more about the different styles from the Carolinas to Texas styles, and all in between.

Somewhat related (at least to woods), the kielbasa place in my old neighborhood (4th generation, multi-level brick ovens) has contracts with several orchards for apple and peach wood.