AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 09-25-2012, 02:48 PM

Thanks for all inputs as well.
Now I feel C3800+A200 make the same beautiful sound especially mid as do the ARC Ref40+ARC REF250, but with more snappy and more pop.
What they lack is very low bass. the one that make us feel with chest rather than hear.
the climax ending of some classical musics is not very into the chest. kick drum from
Pantera disc was heard rather than felt. I think Accuphase don't make deep bass kick.
Or may be I have not yet to find perfect power cord for DAC, I wish I have one more of Transparent PLMM2x as I know it provide much greater bass impact than Oyaide Tunami GPX. One way I've done to increase low bass output that may be against audiophile's rule was to engage step 1 loudness control on C3800. Yes I used tone control.
to be continued
TOGA

Last edited by TOGA; 09-25-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:49 PM

I think you've hit the nail on the head with your description of Accuphase.

Even though i did have a 'hair on my back' moment with the brand (if i remember correctly it was with a E550 Integrated with Chario speakers back in 2005), it is a slow grower and usually but surely has a gradual effect with time.

I have ALWAYS regretted selling off my Accuphase gear: while some brands offer more WOW factor initially, they almost always disappoint me in the long run.

But Accuphase has always held my interest, and like a good wine has always grown better and refined over time.

I know now that will never sell off my C-3800 for anything else than (maybe) a C-3810. While some may offer more this and that, my experience tells me that, IMHO and for me, Accuphase will never disappoint me. Its all ive ever wanted in a preamp, and the itch for change is not strong enough now. Plus, it offers unparalleled flexibility (gain selection, headphone listening, bass control, etc...), its sexy as hell, unrivaled longevity, ...

Because i am a ladder DAC fan, i wont be getting their Digital offering but thats a matter of personal belief that R2R is inherently better than multibit DeltaSigma (even from Accuphase).

Their class A amps are top notch and my next buys are most probably A65 with unknown speakers.

I really look forward to your experience. Thanks for sharing

Last edited by badwisdom; 09-25-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:58 PM

Very beautiful system. The craftsmanship is incredible. I remember seeing the workers wearing gloves at the assembly line.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Merry Christmas to all

TOGA.......I have been lusting for a full Accuphase system for many years. Yours is so impressive. Absolutely gorgeous. Makes the ARC gear look like hand me downs.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 09-25-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:37 PM

The system looks gorgeous.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:58 PM

Today will try Accuphase with Wilson Sophia3 that are standing by behind the Magico, should be really interesting.

As of now, the ,most exciting, most powerful feeling and fun-inducing sound was from Burmester 077+911.
the most beautiful and musical sound was from ARC Ref40+Ref250 and C3800+A200,with Accuphase sounding more energetic.
Great sounding and very powerful also, Pass XP20+XA160.5 (drove Salon2 at that time)<< champ for value for money here too
very sweet and powerful one is Vitus SS101 (With Wilson Sophia3, too roll off high with Q3)
Next is to borrow D'Agostino Momentum and Constellation Centaur Mono.

Last edited by TOGA; 09-25-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:02 AM

Very Good news for me..
ARC Ref40 + A200 make very good sound. a bit softer sound than C3800's, but may be due to different power cord. But result is great. first rate tube pre amp driving first rate pure class A amp. So there are 3 operation problems that I will have to figure out.
1. visual mismatch between ARC and Accuphase gears
2. if I put A200 in place of Moon in FE racks and put ARC Ref40 on its own single-shelf
FE rack in front, half of A200 will be blocked by huge ARC. A pity for beautiful amp like this.
Sound so good that I feel lazy to make a call to D'Agostino, Constellation, Pass Labs dealers to bring more amps. I'm ok and happy with A200 sound now. problem of Accuphase is $$$$.
Toga
Old 09-26-2012, 12:13 AM

Any improvement I expected from Accuphase ?
1. as beautiful as they're, C3800 should not have screw holes on side of both knobs
2. C3800 and A200 can have displays switched off, but DP900/DC901 cannot..
3. they don't have stand by mode, only full OFF and full ON, so if expect good sound every time, we will have to leave that Class A power sucker ON and consume 600 watt out of the wall at all time.
4. Binoculars required to be able to read track number and volume setting from only a few meters away.
Toga
Old 09-26-2012, 04:00 AM

Dear Toga, with my A-65 I only need 30-44 min of warm-up to obtain the best results. And even cold, the music is more than descent.

I also use a high class tube preamp with my Accuphase class A stereo amp ie. SHINDO Monbrison (vintage older serie). I'm a very happy camper with that combo.

If ARC + Accuphase sounds absolutely great now, I think the different look of these equipments matter less than the musical pleasure you can obtain.

What about the A-200 with your Sophia 3? They should drive them sooooo easily. My A-65 has no problem at all with the much more impedance demanding Sasha...

You could even envision the bigger Magico Q5 with these A-200 ;-)
Old 09-26-2012, 04:37 AM

Arc Ref40 make a smoother and so grainless sound, tonally brighter.
C3800 is a shade darker but with stronger bass slam, not as silky as Ref40, but definitely not grainy. I feel C3800 has similar tonal to my Mark Levinson 326s but much less grainy.
Haven't try Sophia3 yet as now can't stop listening. A200 has lots of power, but when music need big slam, as in ending of orchestra music, it doesn't seem to make big slam, unlike Burmester. But that's the trade off I am willing to take for such beautiful sound of A200.
toga