AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Burmester Audio

Burmester Audio Art for the Ear

Old 03-16-2012, 04:08 AM

Default Cabling in Burmester Systems

I am looking for findings from anyone who has first hand experience in trying out different cables in Burmester 911 based systems.

The 911 is wired internally with 'burmester silver' and so using Burmester's own silver interconnects and silver speaker cable is basically an extension of the cabling used inside the amp; a pretty strong case for synergy.

I know it can be system dependant however I am looking for the most transparent solution possible.

I personally am running Nordost Frey to the loudspeakers and have Nordost Frey and Burmester silver interconnects on hand to compare between the two. Power cables I am less concerned about, I am using all burmester cables going into the 948. I will post my own impressions (frey vs burm IC's) shortly.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdebonth View Post
I am looking for findings from anyone who has first hand experience in trying out different cables in Burmester 911 based systems.

The 911 is wired internally with 'burmester silver' and so using Burmester's own silver interconnects and silver speaker cable is basically an extension of the cabling used inside the amp; a pretty strong case for synergy.

I know it can be system dependant however I am looking for the most transparent solution possible.

I personally am running Nordost Frey to the loudspeakers and have Nordost Frey and Burmester silver interconnects on hand to compare between the two. Power cables I am less concerned about, I am using all burmester cables going into the 948. I will post my own impressions (frey vs burm IC's) shortly.
Looking forward to your impressions Joost!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 03-16-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Looking forward to your impressions Joost!
+1

I usually prefer a slightly more laid back or warmer presentation and tend to shy away from silver cables. I confess I have not tried very many and also look forward to your impressions. Right now my Transparent cables seem to be doing well but, you know, we are always looking for something better.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:22 PM

Joost, I'm going through the same exercise. I've left the speaker cables to last, as I wanted to get everything else dialed in first. Otherwise I found I was trying to use the speaker cables to adjust balance problems elsewhere in the system

Certainly our system are different. My speakers are SF Amati Futura, I use a Burmester 088 preamp, and somewhat different DACs (I sometimes use Wavelength and Weiss DACs).

In my case, with the Futura, I found that bi-wiring makes a big difference. In the past I have been dubious about bi-wiring, as I often found that better sound was found spending the same money as bi-wiring would cost by climbing up to a higher model in the range, and using jumpers. Not with the 911 and Futura. This may not apply with your Rockports.

So far, I have used Acoustic Zen Satori, Kubala-Sosna Fascination, Audience Au24e, Kimber BiFocal XL, Antipodes Audio Komako, Furutech Reference III. Of these, the Audience and Kimber cables have worked best. Bizarre really, as one is ridiculously fat, and the other is ridiculously thin. I have ordered another pair of the Audience cable so I can hear it bi-wired.

The dynamics and bass of the Kimber really surprised me. But I found it a little sterile in the mids, and grainy in the treble. I will compare it again when I have the second pair of Audience, which were not as full in the bass, but had more mid range weight and were sweeter and grain-less in the treble than the Kimber. I am thinking about Kimber Select, but to bi-wire with that is getting up there in price, and the distributor only brings it in on order, so I can't try it first

I am also trying to get hold of Jorma Design Unity to try. Jorma No.2 doesn't cut it, too thin sounding, but maybe Unity will. And further up the Jorma tree, in bi-wire, is too expensive. Basically, once the speaker cable price starts getting close to the 911 price (as you know the differentials here in Europe are quite unlike the US), I'd prefer to buy a second 911 and bi-amp with cheap wire

I am chasing resolution, without losing weight. Not so easy. With the 911, I find you can hear everything in the system. It is disturbing to hear how many cables seem a little veiled, or soft, or thin...

Nordost are on my radar too, but maybe Tyr. But I am concerned with losing weight with Nordost, and in the past I have always felt they were a little tipped up in the upper midrange, which I would find fatiguing. But I have not heard them recently, and certainly not in this system. And I am finding my own inventory of cables is limiting the transparency that the 911 is capable of.

I will also see if I can trial the Burmester speaker cable. Their balanced silver IC proved best between the 088 and 911, and it was not expensive. This came as a big surprise, as I was not expecting much from it. But to me, this may have come from an impedance match unique to the 088 and 911 (the 911 is very fussy), and may not apply to other sources. I'll get some more to try.

Other options I am thinking about are Purist Audio (the 911 really likes my Purist Corvus PC), and Siltech. But these are impossible to trial first, I would have to buy them.

Keep us posted on your findings, I'll do likewise
Old 03-16-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
+1

I usually prefer a slightly more laid back or warmer presentation and tend to shy away from silver cables. I confess I have not tried very many and also look forward to your impressions. Right now my Transparent cables seem to be doing well but, you know, we are always looking for something better.
Joe, my experience is that "good" silver cables don't have the attributes you are referring to. My Antipodes Audio cables are silver with a little platinum, and they are laid back, very deep soundstage (ie good at low level detail and phase coherence), and warm sounding. In fact, I find them a little too soft in the system I am referring to in this thread.

There are some ordinary silver designs around, but I think the brightness you refer to is often caused by faults with geometry, or perhaps not using enough wire (silver is much more expensive than copper, so the temptation is to use very thin gauge wire). Next time you are looking at cables, I would suggest not excluding them based on use of silver
Old 03-16-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse

Joe, my experience is that "good" silver cables don't have the attributes you are referring to. My Antipodes Audio cables are silver with a little platinum, and they are laid back, very deep soundstage (ie good at low level detail and phase coherence), and warm sounding. In fact, I find them a little too soft in the system I am referring to in this thread.

There are some ordinary silver designs around, but I think the brightness you refer to is often caused by faults with geometry, or perhaps not using enough wire (silver is much more expensive than copper, so the temptation is to use very thin gauge wire). Next time you are looking at cables, I would suggest not excluding them based on use of silver
+1...my Kimber Select silvers(1136, 1036) are not bright at all...

Dave
Old 03-16-2012, 03:47 PM
From the BAT cave ...

My WireWorld Silver Eclipse 6's are not bright at all.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:50 PM

I have tried Stereovox (silver cable) with good results. Recently listened to Kimber 1036 (top of the line Silver interconnects) which proved excellent match with Burmester. Weighty but slightly soft in the highs. Very pleasing though. The best cable I have tried so far in my system is Jorma Prime (high purity copper). Tons of resolution without losing weight and texture. I have settled on the lower priced Jorma Origo which is even more detailed than the Prime but with (slightly) less bass impact and body. I have ordered the interconnects and will probably go for the speaker cables as well. I have yet to try siltech. Their new 700 series is supposed to be very good at a relatively affordable price. Modern silver cables do not sound thin or pronounced in the highs. On the contrary I would say that are more "polite" vs the high purity copper ones. Also keep in mind that Power cables could sometimes play a more significant role in the final voicing of your system
Thimios
Old 03-16-2012, 04:13 PM

Glisse, Dave, Randy, Thimios,

Thanks! Once things settle down and my mono 911mk3's arrive, we will have to have some serious cable talk.

Last edited by joeinid; 03-16-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid
Glisse, Dave, Randy, Thimios,

Thanks! Once things settle down and my mono 911mk3's arrive, we will have to have some serious cable talk.
Looking forward to it...

Dave