AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 06-25-2017, 09:26 AM

Default Audio Research LitzLink 2 Cables

Does anyone use the Audio Research LitzLink 2 interconnects and speaker cables?

Would you recommend the Litzlink in an Audio Research system or would you use another cable manufacturer?
Old 06-25-2017, 10:40 AM

There are actually 2 different types, black and gray. The gray are the more expensive. The gray Audio Research cables are pretty nice sounding cables. I had them for a number of years. During that time I compared them to a number of different brands of cables and always thought it was pretty much a sideways move. While cables like the Nordost Heimdall 2 did some things better, they were also not as good in some ways. I remember when I tried Kubala-Sosna they seemed veiled in comparison the the ARC.

That is until I tried Shunyata Ztron Cobra interconnects. They were significantly better than the Litzlink 2 and I didn't feel I was sacrificing anything. I now have the Zitron Anaconda in most of my system. Though there are a couple places I still have the Cobra. The Anaconda are a bit better than the Cobra but not significantly better. The Cobra are really an excellent cable and a real bargain, especially used.

I have also replaced all my power cords with Shunyata. First the Black Mamba and now the Alpha HC. These also made a huge difference in the sound. They don't add or take away anything. Everything is just more clean and clear like opening a window.

The one cable I thought were as good, maybe a tiny bit better were Sain cables. I never had both Shunyata and Sain at the same time so it is hard to say. They were extremely good though.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:47 PM

Hello Lost Bears

So what would you say are the strengths of the ARC Litzlink 2 cables and what do they lose out on compared to the other cables you mentioned?

I've seen a set of XLR interconnects and speaker cables available for sale and am pondering whether to give them a try.

I'm using some handmade pure silver interconnects and some Ecosse copper based speaker cable. Seems to work fine.

Last edited by kingm88; 06-26-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:05 PM

They are neutral sounding well balanced cables. Keep in mind Audio Research used these cables in house in the late 1980's and 90. So there is a certain synergy with ARC pieces of that period. They can sound a bit dark with non ARC pieces.

The Shunyata cables are also neutral sounding but are more detailed and three dimensional. They have a bit more presence.

The problem for the most part with the other cables I tried was they were a lot more expensive but really didn't sound better, just different. The Kubala Sosna sounded darker and a bit veiled. The Nordost were a bit brighter but also thinner sounding. Actually the sound of the ARC cables reminds me of older Synergistic Research cables.

What type of ARC gear do you have? What period? I have owned ARC gear since the mid 1980s.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:56 AM

I will be using with
ARC CD 8
ARC DSi200 Amplifier

I would say I'm looking for something that is neutral, detailed, open and transparent with a natural tonal balance.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:13 AM

That's a nice system. For pieces that new I would definitely go with something more like the Shunyata Zitron Cobra cables. You can usually pickup a 1 meter XLR used for around $350. sometimes less. That is a real deal for a cable as good as the Zitron Cobra.

If you haven't already, I would also replace the power cords with some Shunyata. Not the Venom but something from the regular line. I had Black Mambas for a while and they made a huge difference. I think I paid something like $325. each for them some years back.

ARC uses Shunyata VTX wire in all their Ref pieces. So again there is excellent synergy. The right cables can make a huge difference in the sound.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:13 PM

Thanks, I will look at the Shunyata's. Where do the Black Mamba fit in the range, are they above or below the Cobra's?
I am based in the UK so its almost impossible to get the Power cables with the UK plug terminations.

I'm also curious about how much of a jump from the DSi200 to something from the Reference range? Am tempted but not sure about the additional maintenance, heat and cost.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:17 PM

The Black Mamba is a highly regarded older Shunyata power cord.

I have not heard the DSi200 so I don't know for sure. But I have not seen an integrated that can out perform a separate amp and preamp. My guess is the difference would be huge.

The Ref 5se is an incredible preamp. At the price it goes for used the Ref 5se is a steal. A tube amp can be a bit more maintenance but I think it is worth it. The tubes need to be replaced every couple of years and the bias needs to be checked every so often. You get use to it. My Ref 110 and Ref 5se both have hours counters. So I can check how many hours are on my tubes at any point.

I will be honest, my system just amazes me every time I listen. At this point there is nothing I want to change or upgrade. I am truly happy with it.