AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 11-23-2018, 05:45 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Terry.......What a remarkable conclusion to a huge undertaking. Looking good.
I Thank-You kind Sir

There is more to come buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krustycat View Post
Beautiful, but where is the picture of Rascal owning the HT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
Congratulations!
Now, that’s a killer HT!!
[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]
I appreciate your compliments for sure.

Terry

Mitsubishi New 16-Seer, 24,000 BTU Split-Unit ... for Heating/Cooling & Humidity control of Home Theater
Marantz Pre-Amp Processor: ... AV8805
Panasonic DP-UB9000 New ... HDR 4K UHD Blu-ray Player:
Roku: New ... 2022 Ultra HD-4K-HDR-Atmos Streaming Player
JVC RS4100 New ... Laser Projector
Lumagen Radiance Pro New ... 4242 18G Ultra HD Video Processor
Stewart Filmscreen: New ... Stewart StudioTek 130 G4 123" 16x9 W/4-Way Remote Masking
JML Speakers ... 2-JM Lab Utopia Mezzo Front, 2-Side Utopia, 2-Rear Mini Utopia
Focal Sopra ... Center Channel
Triad Atmos New ... 6 Triad Custom Repeat Gold 8 Mini Monitor Plus in-ceiling speakers W/Matching Flat Black Grills
SVS PB16-Ultra Subwoofers New ... 4 PB-16 ULTRA Subs
Transparent Speaker Cables ... Transparent TW Plus HP 10-2 W/Plus Bricks
Classe' Amps ... 2-CA201, 1-CAM-350, 2-CA-M400
ATI AT526NC New ... ATI AT526NC 6 Channel Amp for
6 Triad Atmos in-ceiling speakers
A/C Power New ... All Separate 20-Amp Circuits W/Dedicated Hospital Grade Receptacles
Richard Gray Power Conditioners New ...
1- RGPC-1200S, 9-RGPC-400S
Panamax MB1500 ... 2023 New 1500VA UPS Battery Backup for JVC RS4100 laser projector
Eaton ... Ultimate Home Surge Protection
CRITEC TDX100M New ... Modular Series Home Transient Voltage Surge Suppressor
HT Components/Gear Cooling ... 3-sets of Z-Fans, Cool-Stack I, Suncourt Variable Speed Thru Wall Fan
ATM ... Active Thermal Management Cool Stack 1 Exhaust Fan Assembly
Home Theater Component Mid Atlantic Rack ... Slide-Out 50" Track
Sanus CFR1620 ... Modular open-frame component rack with Middle Atlantic 4-Post H/D Shelves
Room Acoustic ... Acoustic Innovations panels
Seating ... Ekornes Stressless Wave
Rosco Velour Black 6003 ... 2-coats of Black primer.
Then 2-coats of Full-Strength Rosco #6003 UN-Diluted to complete Dedicated Home Theater
Area Shag Rug New ... Liliah Deep Black Low-Shag by Andover Mills 12' x 15' Rectangle Area-Rug
Custom Calibrated H/T New ... Chad Billheimer on September 4th 2023 did my JVC RS4100.
The results were 100% Totally Awesome I Highly recommend his services. https://www.hdtvbychadb.com/home-1.html

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 11-23-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:47 PM

Post Made some additional changes this morning guys ...

Greetings,

Well I made some improvements this morning after a quick trip to Home Depot which is maybe 4-miles from where I'm sitting.
If I had thought about this the painters could have easily taken care of it but I didn't so I did it myself this morning.
Those sconce lights right at the very bottom where the actual light-socket is located are or I should say were Bright-White.
So, below you will see my handy-work and now they look exactly as I want them to.
There is No-Bright-White now at all on them, finally.

They started out like the below and actually all the light-sockets but this one are Bright-White.
When you sat down you could barely see the White at the bottom of the white-light-sockets.

Next this was done by the painters.

Now they all look like this with No-White at all.

Below is the actual 2000 Degree High Temperature paint I used.

Now they look like this and I know the pictures are not all that great guys but it's the best I could do.
I think you will at least get the general idea.

Last thing is an "ALARM" started going off last night over in the component area.
Turns out my Panamax MB1500 (Battery-Pack) has gone bad or simply really Aged-Out.
I found the paperwork on it and it shows I purchased it back on October 2012 and we are now heading to 2019.
So that battery-pack did his job and purpose for many years.
Charles will be ordering a replacement battery pack this coming Monday.

Well the way I look at this is simple.
That will just be one more thing done with the rest of the changes.

Terry

Mitsubishi New 16-Seer, 24,000 BTU Split-Unit ... for Heating/Cooling & Humidity control of Home Theater
Stewart Filmscreen: New ... Stewart StudioTek 130 G4 123" 16x9 W/4-Way Remote Masking
Triad Atmos New ... 6 Triad Custom Repeat Gold 8 Mini Monitor Plus in-ceiling speakers W/Matching Flat Black Grills
A/C Power New ... All Separate 20-Amp Circuits W/Dedicated Hospital Grade Receptacles
Panamax MB1500 ... 2023 New 1500VA UPS Battery Backup for JVC RS4100 laser projector
HT Components/Gear Cooling ... 3-sets of Z-Fans, Cool-Stack I, Suncourt Variable Speed Thru Wall Fan
Sanus CFR1620 ... Modular open-frame component rack with Middle Atlantic 4-Post H/D Shelves
Then 2-coats of Full-Strength Rosco #6003 UN-Diluted to complete Dedicated Home Theater
Area Shag Rug New ... Liliah Deep Black Low-Shag by Andover Mills 12' x 15' Rectangle Area-Rug
Custom Calibrated H/T New ... Chad Billheimer on September 4th 2023 did my JVC RS4100.
The results were 100% Totally Awesome I Highly recommend his services. https://www.hdtvbychadb.com/home-1.html

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 11-24-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:52 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Terry, it looks awesome. A few more bits and it will be done. I really admire your attention to detail. Bravo!!
Old 11-24-2018, 03:15 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
Terry, it looks awesome. A few more bits and it will be done. I really admire your attention to detail. Bravo!!
Randy,

Appreciate your comments as always my Good-Man.

Terry

Old 11-24-2018, 03:17 PM

Post A story to be shared guys on Best Buy .....

Greetings,

I could have done this over on the Panasonic UB820 thread but I think this is a better told right here on my thread.
I can and will put the link to this on that thread for those members if any are interested.

Let's get this started,
I placed an order for the Panasonic UB820 even though I 1st placed an order with my A/V dealer for a Samsung 4K player.
It was suggested to me by multiple AVS members that I should reconsider and get the UB820 as it has the Auto Tone Mapping feature and works great with especially projectors.
Time went on and I received the Sound & Vision Magazine and it had an excellent review done by Kris Deering on September 12th 2018.
https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-player-review
Then more time went by and it was once again suggested to me by non other than Mike Garrett that some of you on here are familiar with.
So it seemed to me unless I wanted to play Hard-Ball and totally ignore all the AVS members recommendations as well as what I had read from Kris Deering I must be nuts.

On November 12th 2018 I went on-line and placed my order to Best Buy for the Panasonic UB820 and was suppose to pick it up on Friday 11/16/2018 locally.
Well I get an E-Mail and it is NOT going to be at Best Buy for me to pick it up per that E-Mail.
I wait for a further up-date but none comes so on Saturday 11/17/2018 I call the Best Buy (Help/Assistance 1-888-237-8289) phone number.
I get a nice, friendly lady that confirms all pertinent customer information and then puts me on hold while she checks to see what's going on with the order.
She comes back on-line and says, Terry it's shipped and will be at your Brentwood #170 store on Saturday 24th for pick-up.
If you guys are wondering yes I did ask multiple times that you ^^^ are sure it's shipped and going to be at Brentwood store next Saturday, right ???
Moving on as of course this is 11/24/2018 Saturday and I have NOT received any E-Mail, Text Message to come pick-up my order.
So, I go on-line and what I get is the following regarding that order placed back on 11/12/2018.
(We didn't find anything matching your search for "BBY01-805580422439")
Also,
(You do not have any recent orders or in-store purchases)
I should add that I actually printed out our Bank of America bank statement that shows on 11/13/2018 BESTBUY -548.73.
I also did the same thing with my PAYPAL account and it showed the exact same thing as Bank of America.
Next, this morning I call that same Best Buy Help/Assistance #.
I get a super nice lady that her last name was Smith and that's actually her real last name and she was talking with me from Georgia.
We talked for like almost 1 1/2 hours with her also at the end actually placing a call to the Brentwood Best Buy Store #170 .
She talked to a Manager in the Geek Squad and what he ended up telling her was for the customer to CANCEL the order and order it again !!!
Yes people I am serious and she even ask that Manager if he does that will that be faster than him pursuing a completely new order ???
In other words that local Manager was really just trying to get off the phone, a dumb-ass, or no experience as a Manager at all.
Oh he (Trent) told her he went back in the warehouse and there was no UB820 in it for me or anyone else.
We, Ms. Smith and I ended our conversation and I then drove to the Brentwood Store to get this situation handled 1st hand in person.
I know from past experience don't ever ask for any Department Manager ever ………..
Go straight to the Top always people if you don't have experience in this sort of thing as I do.
They paged the (General Manager) of the store that I asked for and he immediately came out to meet me with a Smile and Handshake.
He picked a place way back in the store where we could talk as I told him this was going to take awhile and it would not be good for other Best Buy customers to be listening.
We actually hit it off right on the Front-End as I simply said I'll give you all pertinent information as I brought Hard-Copies for you.
He listened to me until I was done and then in summary said to me something like, let me go see what I can do make yourself comfortable.
He was gone for a very-very short time and I heard a voice say off in the distance this Panasonic is what your wanting with a Big-Ole-Grin as he approached me closer.
Sure enough Ben had a New One in his hands and said let's get this show on the road Terry.
He took me back and showed me the High-End Audio room they now have and it had a lot of High Dollar A/V gear/components.
Ben said today might not be a good day but if you ever want to drop by and give me a call we can demo anything you wish with your material if you like.
We go back up to the very front of the store and he says hang loose a minute I'll be right back and get you out of here.

Ben comes back out with CASH in hand and says to me for your inconvenience buddy and I look forward to your Future Business.

Terry

Old 11-24-2018, 04:50 PM

That’s a heck of a story Terry. It sounds like it ended well, but what a pain getting there. It would certainly turn me off from ordering from BB online.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 11-25-2018, 11:27 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
That’s a heck of a story Terry.

It sounds like it ended well, but what a pain getting there.
It would certainly turn me off from ordering from BB online.
Hi Tony,

Well I have done business with Best Buy for a lot of years and not one time anything like that had ever taken place.

As you read and saw it did actually turn out exceptionally well once Ben got involved the General Manager.

Terry

Old 11-27-2018, 12:17 PM

Post Another New addition guys ...........

Greetings,

Well after some discussion over on the JVC RS4500 thread about the streaming on the Panasonic UB820.
It seems for me to play it safe was to get the Roku 4K Ultra HDR streaming device.
I just got back home from picking it up.
If there is any issue streaming from the Panasonic UB820 I will have an immediate solution on hand.

I'm not going to take any chance on things not working once installs the new Marantz AV8805 as well as the new Panasonic UB820 and that new A/V Cabinet for the Classe' Amps.

As many of you know it's not easy to get your A/V Dealer to send a tech or techs very quickly to your house.
So, I'm trying my best to cover everything I can think of (Before) they come.

Terry

Old 12-02-2018, 10:56 PM

Post Wolf Hill Technologies has installed the remaining Audio Components ...

Dec 2nd, 2019

Up-Date guys,

Wolf Hill Technologies techs came last Wednesday to install the New A/V gear and a few other things I'll describe below.
As it turned out there were three techs, Jason, Tim & Carlos all were here early AM and didn't leave until it was dark outside maybe 6PM or after.
It all looks great guys as they did a stand-up job for sure.
Also before I forget the owner (Charles) also came by and met Jason (Lead-Tech) on Friday to look at the completed project and also to see & hear it in person.

While they were here on Friday they also decided to rerun the
Audyssey MultEQ XT32

program and then fine tune it.
Examples, rear surround volume increased as well side surrounds and the 4-Mirage Subs.
Then we streamed 8K off the Roku going to You-tube, watched Blu-ray Super 8 etc. while they were here.
Something else I have now made a decision on when Chad B comes Dec 14th is have him do Both the Video & Audio.
I can have him do both now that all the components are installed.
Video calibration desired ISF $450
Display make and model JVC RS4500
Audio calibration desired Audyssey Pro $500
Receiver make and model
Marantz AV8805I have heard back from Darrell to confirm the recent addition/change and he has forwarded that to Chad.

I think I should say something about what I really honestly now think after everything has been completed other than the Chad B part which is coming really soon.
It all works as I have practically been living in the HT since they completed it on Wednesday.
I'll keep this as short as possible.

Video JVC RS4500 ……….
Is awesome guys as you might have already guessed but ………..
I now know I need Chad to come in and do his professional Custom Calibrations.
That's not an opinion any-longer from me it's a fact !!!
So until Chad does his thing I can easily live with the picture quality but like I said now that I'm much more familiar with the RS4500 viewing all different things.
It is not really a want sort of thing.
It's actually a necessity !!!

Audio Marantz AV8805 ………
Speaking of the Marantz AV8805 versus the Integra.
Personally if I did not make that change I highly doubt I would be in tears.
You know I don't even really know exactly how to say what I really think to just be right up-front about it.
I'm not necessarily disappointed that I purchased the Marantz.
I guess what I think in simple terms is this.
I don't personally hear anything remotely like a Day & Night difference between the two units.
However, I do-not yet have ATMOS added to my system and that's the real reason I purchased the Marantz.
So until that is added in the future I didn't expect to hear some profound audio difference and that's why I said above I'm not really disappointed.
Also, it's not that it's doing something it's not suppose to be doing or maybe I should say if it is I'm certainly not aware of it.

4K Ultra ROKU works perfect.
No issues at all.

Panasonic has played all the different formats of disc.
No issues at all.

Okay as always I did take pictures and infact I took like 130 pictures believe it or not.
I have paused doing this up-date to think about what other AVS members really want to see ???
I decided to jump in and eliminate all duplicates and narrowed the pictures down to the real meat of what took place.
I can tell you that if you have never-ever done a post with lots of pictures guys it is a very-very time consuming venture from beginning to end and believe me I'm not exaggerating.
I just now finally got the pictures loaded into my photobucket so I can post them here for you.

I'll type the text above each picture where I think it's necessary for you.

Here is the old cabinet holding the two Classe CA-201 Amps.
The main reasons for switching it out is to allow much-much better air-flow and also for the 3rd amp for ATMOS.

Something else that just happened a few weeks ago was the Panamax MB1500 battery totally failed.
It had been in service since back in 2012 so it was probably past it's life time.

Removing the Integra Pre-Amp processor.

The Roku that Tim is holding for a picture is getting it's own shelf.

Jason is unhooking the Classe' amps for removal.

Tim has the 1st one and if your wondering the shipping weigh on it is 79 Lbs.

Jason is now ready to hand the old component cabinet to Tim for removal.

Tim is getting ready to do the new cabinet.

I took some pictures of the newly Custom-Shortened LML Utopia Center-Channel-Speaker stand.
It came out perfect from the custom cabinet shop that did the work.
It actually looks like it came from Focal but it didn't in it's newly shortened state.

Carlos brought it with him and had it wrapped totally up with soft material.

Jason (Left) & Carlos (Right) installing the newly shortened JML stand.
That Center JML Utopia weighs 100 Lbs. so that's why two guys are lowering it carefully to the stand.
It look perfect !!!

They also brought all the new correct length 14-gauge cables to replace the old ones.
Examples below.

Below are the two Classe' amps removed earlier from the old component cabinet.
If you have never seen these amps they are monsters.

Below is the SANUS instruction manual they will be assembling with the Mid-Atlantic H/D shelves.

Tim and Jason handling the SANUS rack going in for install.

Jason starting to put the H/D Mid Atlantic shelves in place.

Carlos and Tim are man handling the Classe' amp to be installed in the new SANUS rack.
As you can see below all three of them are handling the Classe' as it's so huge in size as well as it's weight.

Tim and Jason installing the last H/D shelf.

Here goes Carlos and Tim man handling the 2nd Classe' amp to be installed in the SANUS rack.
Tim is handing it to Carlos so he can get to the other side so all three of them can put it in place.

Rest of pictures below:

Old 12-02-2018, 10:57 PM

2nd set of pictures.

Both Classe' amps are installed as well as the variable-speed fans for both.

Tim is getting ready to install the shelf for the 4K Ultra ROKU I spoke of earlier.

Carlos is switching out the plates to Brass colored metal plates as they actually blended in much better than the previous black ones.

New SANUS rack is going into place.

Jason installed a new Lutron remote for controlling only the entry foyer to the Garage, Home Theater and Kitchen areas.
It is so dark now in the HT that Jason told me there was a very easy way to turn On & Off the foyer light from where I sit in the HT.
Not only can you now remotely turn it on and off but you can also Dim it if you like all by the tiny remote.
I took a few pictures of all the remotes which includes this new very small Lutron one.

The below Black illuminated switch is on order so it matches the other Black rocker switches.
This one will control the garage and you can then see that you didn't leave the garage lights on by accident.

Jason also changed out the closet switch so we could easily see it when opening the door.
This is the full length closet on the right side of the screen facing it.

Okay I have made the attempt to show you the finished Home Theater and that's not all that easy in a totally black room.
But here is what I did come away with after practicing a lot but below is the best I could do.

Here are all the new remotes and if you look close you can see the really small Black Rectangle Remote that's for the entry foyer just added.

Last picture for now and this one is sort of {Special} to me and Cathy (Wife).
My long-long term buddy that's in San Antonio, TX. (Mr. Thomas Cochran} sent this to me and it just arrived yesterday.
He and I are both car guys and also Home Theater enthusiast and have been for a great many years.
So this I am going to share as all three of us really loved ABBA in their hey-day.

Hope you enjoyed this latest post,
Terry