AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Klipsch Speakers

Klipsch Speakers Power. Detail. Emotion.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post
I remember the K-horns being about $3000 a pair in 1980.
I bought Heresy 1's in 1978 for $600. The dealer had a 100% trade in credit if you went up the line within a year. I traded them plus $300 for LaScalas in unfinished Birch. Spent countless hours applying many coats of tung oil. I kept them for 23 years and wish I still had them.

I don't remember what K-horns cost but I do remember hearing them at the dealer driven by McIntosh. My jaw dropped.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 01-07-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWInsall View Post
I can remember saving money and choosing between Concert Grands and Klipschorns. They were under a $1000 each back in 65.
In '68 I chose Bozak B-4000A Symphony over Klipschorn which was a mistake. Bozak is long gone but Klipsch is still relevant. Since horns are designed using sound science and physics the sound is much more dynamic and closer to the original performance.

Last edited by BuffaloBill; 01-10-2019 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:01 PM
Penuriophile

Klipschorns, La Scalas and Cornwalls all kick sonic a$$! Very dynamic indeed.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:21 PM

They go great with tubes!
Old 01-12-2019, 09:17 AM
Retired

Once my wife decides on our future living circumstances (house, condo, whatever.......... wish she would make up our minds) a pair of Forte IIIs are, hopefully, in my future. When I visit my brother I'm always smitten by the dynamics & detailed sound of his Forte IIs driven by a Dynaco ST-70. Can't imagine the Forte IIIs not being at least as good. They'll cost what they cost.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-12-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
They'll cost what they cost.
When you consider that you get the latest and best horn design from Klipsch for less than $4k, it is a bargain compared to alternative expensive direct-reflecting choices, especially two-way offerings from 'brand image' US and European makers.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
I bought Heresy 1's in 1978 for $600. The dealer had a 100% trade in credit if you went up the line within a year. I traded them plus $300 for LaScalas in unfinished Birch. Spent countless hours applying many coats of tung oil. I kept them for 23 years and wish I still had them.

I don't remember what K-horns cost but I do remember hearing them at the dealer driven by McIntosh. My jaw dropped.

in 1981 the cornwall's cost $1600.. i still have, enjoy, love as much now as then
.. mine too raw birch, never stained'm, they have age nicely, they turn 38 this yr and are currently hooked up to a Mcintosh MA252

Hbar
Old 02-06-2019, 01:54 AM

Have you guys priced pick- up trucks lately. I can remember them costing under 2500 dollars in the 60's. You can't touch a full size pick up for less than 10 to 12 times that amount today. And if you want a top of the line pickup $70,000 is not uncommon. So if a klipschorn cost 1/4 of the price of a pickup in the 60's it would only cost 1/12 the price today. Remember Klipsch speakers are hand built, and labor is not cheap. The price of wood has sky rocketed over the years. And I guarantee using Titanium drivers and better cone materials and improved adhesives is not cheap. I imagine if you would convince all your friends to buy Klipschorns instead of toys and spending outrages money on electronics and the sales numbers increased then Klipsch could keep a lid on the prices longer. But with out support just be thankful they are still making the heritage series. JBL and Klipsch are the only two left. Other companies making custom horn loaded speakers make Klipsch prices seem like bargain basement prices. Especially those in Europe. Price a Magico horn loaded speaker lately. Or a pair of JBL dd67000. They pushing $45000 a pair and are 9 DB less efficient, which means you need to buy big 500 watt mono amps, that aren't cheap either. I guess you could buy some Altec 604's built by Great Plains audio for a $1000 bucks each and build really nice cabinets for another $1000. but you would be 5 db short and the 604 won't handle the power to make up the difference. Shure you could use a great 10 watt amp with your klipschorn and a 40 watt amp with the Altec. But without the horns, you wouldn't have the low distortion of a Klipschorn. Hw do you put a value on that. Magico says they build a speaker that can produce 120 db with less than 2 % distortion down to 50 HZ. They cost $58,000 a pair, don't have horns, which means a room compromises the sound sooner and faster and you will need 1000 watts a channel. Mac MC 1.25K amp aren't cheap. Any one want to pay for an ARC 750 watt tube amps if you like tube sound. Just thank God Klipsch is still in business. There are always a few used nice Klipschorns available on the world wide net. Buy those , work with the factory or Bob Crites to make them better than new. Where there is a will you will find the Corner Horns or Cornwalls you can afford..

Last edited by TWInsall; 02-06-2019 at 02:08 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:40 AM

Compared to other top of the line speakers from JBL, Magico, Wilson, and European speakers Klipsch speakers are a great bargain. Got $38,000 for lower middle of the line pair of Magico s5 Mk II speakers, or 68,000 for a pair of S7. We haven't even looked at the prices of the M series. Which can easily reach over $150,000 for a pair. Wilson is almost as Bad. Sonus Faber and Mac speakers can easily reach over $100,000. Steinway Lyngforf have systems that reach over a Million Dollars. Klipsch still gives more value per dollar than anyone else out there. At least you don't have to pay over $30,000 for a pair of 1000 watt amps to power them either. Thats important, too. Klipsch is still a bargain if you are trying to produce live concert levels. And if you love small tube amps they are really the only affordable choice. Have you priced a Pair of JBL DD67000 lately that require 8 times the power lately. $75,000 a pair. Big Tannoys aren't cheap either. Only the West minster can compete with the Corner horn and it cost many more times the price of a Klipschorns, B&W makes some speakers that are closely priced but require 20 times the power. Do your research before condemning Klipsch Heritage prices. A new Diesel pick up can easily reach over $60,000 and Chevy's new top of the line pickup for 2020 will be over $100,000. Its all relative and in another 20 years prices will more than double again.

Last edited by TWInsall; 07-05-2019 at 02:49 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:50 AM

It’s bad - I’m not surprised by the speaker prices, but I am surprised by the prices of those trucks.