AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > GIK Acoustics

GIK Acoustics Bringing Your Sound To Life

Old 04-04-2018, 07:58 PM

Here's "Stonehenge's" front wall with the new 2'x4' Monster in place.

I've done only one audition since installing it and listening with the flipped-to-horizontal 1'x4' Monster above it at the wall-ceiling intersection...to Leonard Bernstein conducting the New York Philharmonic in the fourth and fifth movements of Bela Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra (rip of a Sony "Royal Edition" SBM'd CD). But it's already obvious that treating the wall-ceiling intersection makes a noticeable improvement in the perception of bass definition, ensemble coherence, the sense of instruments "working the room" they're performing in, and the rendering of intra-soundstage space. One other benefit: The listening "sweet spot" has broadened considerably.

This completes "Stonehenge's" physical configuration.

The only downside: Mrs. took one look and informed me that (1) I'm getting rutabagas for dinner and (2) I'm on probation for an indeterminate period. Oh, the sacrifices we make in the pursuit of audio excellence.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.

Last edited by jimtranr; 04-04-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:59 PM

Default A slight tweak or two...

I've wanted for some time to see whether correcting the asymmetry in front-wall 244 placement would have an appreciable effect on what I hear in the bedroom system. So I finally took a break from knocking out a for-the-fun-of-it Cold War spy novel and moved the left 244 from the corner to a position behind the left speaker that corresponds to panel placement behind the right speaker.

The result is a more coherent, better-balanced soundstage. But denuding the corner of treatment resulted in a slightly less resolved overall presentation. So my second step was to remove the horizontal 12"x48" Monster from atop the center Monster and mount it vertically in the now-empty corner.

Space limitations forced me to initially mount it "sideways"--i.e., with the panel facing straight at the opposite side wall--until I come up with a way to angle-orient it toward my nearfield listening position. Nonetheless, even with that compromise, the sonic presentation has "tightened up" and at the same time "opened out", resulting in a net improvement over the original configuration.

Here's how it looks:

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:25 PM

Default And finally...

Restoring the 12"x48" "top" of the center Monster "T" to address wall-ceiling intersection effects at that location increases both the apparent spaciousness of the soundstage and improves overall resolution and ensemble layering.

Done.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:22 PM

Default I should know better than to post "Done"...

I've just placed orders for some GIK Alpha 4A 1D panels to allow me to listen-test how reconfiguring the room's diffusion/absorption profile would affect the listening experience.

Preliminary information indicates that the 4As will ship the first week of February. So I expect that some time after that I'll post my listening impressions...in a new thread here.

'Til then...

Old 01-16-2019, 08:38 PM

That is starting to look a lot more like a lab than a bedroom Jim. Let us know what your results are, acoustic treatments when deployed properly sure do go a long way to improving the sound magnitudes better than component upgrades.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:49 PM

She won't say it out loud, but the now-and-then side-eyes I detect directed at the room walls indicate that my wife concurs 100% with your characterization, Serge.

And I agree on the magnitude of performance bump afforded by appropriate room treatment.

I guess that balances it all out.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:28 PM

Default New Alpha 4A panels installed

Photos and diagram are in the GIK Picture Thread, Post #17:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...t=44207&page=2

I'll post listening impressions after I've had more time to listen to the new configuration. (And, yes, Serge AKA PHC1, it does look more like a lab now.)