AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc

MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc Ultra High End Equipment

Old 01-26-2019, 09:21 AM

Default Nice !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
I had the opportunity recently to audition an MSB Select II DAC in my listening room and compare it with the dCS Vivaldi 2 DAC, Upsampler and Master clock I've owned for the past three years. Until that audition, the Vivaldi was producing the best music I've heard anywhere (dealer, speaker manufacturer, show). The king is dead, long live the king. The Select II easily bested the Vivaldi in detail, ease, density of instrumental and vocal presentations and laser precise imaging. I don't know if it would do so in any other equipment configuration in any one else's listening room. In mine it wasn't even close. I fed it with an ethernet input from my home network using Room as the library management software.

I voted with my pocket book and just took delivery of the Select II with separate AC/DC power supplies, network renderer (MQA capable), femto 33 clock and their balanced analog outputs. I am feeding my D'Ag's direct from the DAC and the sound is splendid. Full, blooming, dynamic. No pre-amp necessary in my opinion.

Other observations. Stupid simple setup. I had a lot of cables left over after the switch from Vivaldi stack. Build quality is off the charts. These are tanks. Value for the money? In my mind, yes. The peace this system (or previous systems) gives me offsets lots of doctor bills and prescription medicines.

While I replaced the Vivaldi, you should not presume this is not a tremendously musical, engineering tour de force. It is the second best DAC I've ever heard. My dealer took it in trade and it is for sale by him. If you have an interest, PM me and I'll give you his contact data. I'm sure he will price it aggressively.

Cincy
Cincy: Nice ! ... Excellent/insightful write-up/comparison.

Thanks for sharing.

pj
Old 01-26-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmd2010 View Post
Eric

I am pondering the idea of an MSB select II as well. We will see if it's in my future. As of now, leaving towards Constellation Centaur II monos to pair it with. I will be curious to hear your comments down the line as to how your system sound once the DAC is broken in.

You'd likely know better than I, but what about a pair of ML -324/6's (for amplification) ?

pj
Old 01-26-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
I have not tried my current system with a pre-amp in the loop. If I were going to do that, I would use the D'Agostino model.

Eric
Eric: May I suggest the ML No.52 (preamp).

peter
Old 01-28-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allhifi View Post
Eric: May I suggest the ML No.52 (preamp).

peter
Unquestionably a good alternative. I've owned ML 36/360 in my past and loved them. Right now however, I don't feel like my system is lacking anything without the pre.

Eric
Magico Q-Sub 15 Subwoofers (2)
Transparent Opus Gen5 speaker cables and Interconnects
PS Audio P20 regenerator
Roon file management
Old 09-20-2022, 01:04 AM

Hi,
Have you tried grounding the MSB powerbases to the amplifiers using the grounding cables provided by MSB?
A few days ago, I connected the grounding cable from my MSB Reference Dac to the Vitus amplifier, and I am amazed how much improvement you get in sound quality. Much less harshness with more details and clarity. Everything seems to be quieter or softer, but more focused and smooth.
Try it yourself if uiu have not done so.