AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 11-17-2017, 01:25 PM

My issue is that I want to move from 2 channel to 5.1. Since Classé is no longer a viable option and I can not get a Classé mono amp for my center, I will need to replace my Classé up front with something else in order to have all 3 channels with the same Sonics.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:50 PM

matching the amplifier for the center channel is such a small issue I wouldn't even worry about that as a reason to change. The center is a different speaker in a very different room position - both of those are much bigger differences than the difference between amplifiers. Also, if you are going multi - any processor you should consider buying should have excellent room correction circuitry - which will also help with any frequency created differences between the center speaker and the left and rights.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:27 PM

So I could just get a 3 channel amp for the center and surround then? Any recommendations that would mesh with Classé?The processor is another issue. I have the Classé Sigma which does not have room correction, nor does it do 4K. Sounds great in 2 channel however. Probably will need to change this also. Thinking of Marantz 8802A or Anthem A60
Old 11-17-2017, 09:54 PM

yes - I would get a 3channel amp for the center and surround. The brand is not really that important - like I mentioned - different speakers and room positions is a bigger difference than the amplifiers- and your ability to discern an amp difference in the surround channels is extremely difficult because there is so little information in those channels and/or it is usually so down in lever versus the fronts. As an example, I would lookout an amp from anthem - they are excellent and relatively reasonable in price- the MCA325 is 3 channels at 225watts/channel and is $2499. If you want to stay around the marantz price range, I would also look at the anthem processor - they have excellent room correction circuitry. Their AVM60 is $2999.However, if you can save your pennies and cut the amp budget down even lower to free up cash, buying a datasat or trinnov processor will be the single biggest improvement you ever made to your system - even for pure 2 channel.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:17 PM

Appreciate the recommendations. Do you think the Anthem will be fine? I have the B&W HTM2d3 for the center and 895d2 for the surrounds.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:18 PM

Sorry...can’t type on my phone...meant the 805d2.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGale View Post
I have been contemplating upgrading my amplifier which is a Classe Delta CA2300 rated at 300 watts per channel and was looking at the new Bryston 14B3 which is rated at 600 into 8 ohms.

I have had the previous version 4BSST in my system and did not feel it sounded as smooth as my Classe.

I have read many positive reviews on the new cubed series however I am very hesitant just purchasing as the dealer does not have one for audition at home.

I have also been looking at the McIntosh MC452.

It is not that I am unhappy with my Classe but have quite a large room and at times I really like to crank up the system and feel more power might benefit me and I am sure the 802D3's could handle the power.
Did you decide and make the change?

I’ve heard 800D3 with 14B SST2, sounded awesome. To my ears was not bright at all.

Last edited by hdvidguy; 07-08-2018 at 04:14 PM.