AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 08-28-2017, 05:50 PM

Default Nordost Frey 2

Wondering if anyone here has experience using Nordost Frey 2s ? I am considering purchasing Frey 2 sc and ics to pair with an upcoming new set of speakers (Wilson Yvettes) which will be powered by a set of Mcintosh 601 monoblocks. My question is: are the Frey 2's enough to hit the sweet spot with this amp/speaker combination? I want to hit the best $price/value combination that I can given my budget. I am partial to the Nordost brand, as I love the design and look of their cables.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:15 PM

I have a full set of Frey 2's for my Focal Diablos powered by Rogue Audio tube amp and pre amp. I'm very happy with them! I also like the looks of them.IMG_3163.JPG
Old 08-28-2017, 08:46 PM

Default The Freys

Had a set for my bi-wire speakers..... for 2+ weeks. I will avoid the review as that is subjective. You have an ideal pairing for your speakers. Period!
Old 08-28-2017, 10:12 PM

I have the original Freys and found the Heimdall 2 brought out more base, to me, just weightier, if that means anything. ARC Ref 5SE, Ref 75SE, Phono 2SE, SF Oylimpia III's.

So the Frey 2 should give you the same experience with Wison's.
Good Luck...
Old 08-29-2017, 01:05 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Frey 2 is in the middle of the Norse 2 series, I use Frey for all power and speaker along with Shunyata for all interconnects although on equipment different then yours.

Both companies are reputable and make a good product. There are several other great names out there as well. IMO keep component feeds as groups batched by brand.

Either way, you acquired some great gear, your choices are solid and best listening to you!
Old 08-29-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimbo View Post
I have a full set of Frey 2's for my Focal Diablos powered by Rogue Audio tube amp and pre amp. I'm very happy with them! I also like the looks of them.Attachment 51713
Slimbo - that looks like a super sweet setup. Nice job
Old 11-04-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post
Frey 2 is in the middle of the Norse 2 series, I use Frey for all power and speaker along with Shunyata for all interconnects although on equipment different then yours.

Both companies are reputable and make a good product. There are several other great names out there as well. IMO keep component feeds as groups batched by brand.

Either way, you acquired some great gear, your choices are solid and best listening to you!
I'm at a crossroads between trying shunyata and nordost frey 2 myself.
The nordost dealer offered a full cable setup demo, but it's a bit pricy for this level and up.

Shunyata while still expensive it seems to be a more reasonable value. The only problem is there is no demo. I buy and return if I don't like. That's a crummy thing to do to a internet store. One or two cables shouldn't be that bad, but 5 interconnects, custom speaker cable lengths, and infinite power cables makes me feel like a jerk to order with intent on possible ordering.

In the meantime I ordered one Delta NR power cable, but just one cable probably won't do much for me either. Even if I get nordost I could put the shunyata in the living room AVR.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:06 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I'm at a crossroads between trying shunyata and nordost frey 2 myself.

The nordost dealer offered a full cable setup demo, but it's a bit pricy for this level and up.

Shunyata while still expensive it seems to be a more reasonable value. The only problem is there is no demo. I buy and return if I don't like. That's a crummy thing to do to a internet store. One or two cables shouldn't be that bad, but 5 interconnects, custom speaker cable lengths, and infinite power cables makes me feel like a jerk to order with intent on possible ordering.

In the meantime I ordered one Delta NR power cable, but just one cable probably won't do much for me either. Even if I get nordost I could put the shunyata in the living room AVR.

You have to start somewhere, start with the one power cable feeding your distribution, then build other power to components, from there onto the speaker then the interconnect.

Your dealing with great quality-built products, also, many on here like Wireworld which is another quality-built product, and believe all three are great options, but choice one and move on, if you never decide you will end up going crazy.

I do believe to sticking with with one brand to make the loom tighter. Since my August post and RMAF I have converted to all Nordost in my 2 channel, running all Frey 2 interconnect and component power, Tyr 2 Power for amps and now pulling the trigger on Valhalla 2 Speaker - differences heard along the way.

Shunyata has been repurposed in my AV which made a difference.

In the end, all these are expensive, I don’t believe you can make a bad decision, again as they are all good products.

Only giving my story to help you understand what I did; right, wrong or indifferent.

I am personally very happy with both brands I own, no regrets - hope this helps in some way.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:12 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Don't shoot me for this -- but I'm a big believer in Nordost (and Shunyata; which I was weaned on as a young believer) and wholeheartedly subscribe to their trickle down effect within their cable lines (as like similar trickle downs other manufacturers do).

Using my subscription, the Frey 2's are a trickle down from the original Tyr's and benefit -- maybe not in total composition, but to some degree & are a wonderful cable line under the Norse 2 series.

Nordost cable expense rises quickly as you jump within or outside a series; and I recently used this trickle down with a purchase of Tyr 2 interconnects as I had to pull in the expenditure reins. I'm hoping to be just within the original Valhalla benefits with the purchase.

Best of luck and let us know how it pans out.

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Valhalla TA cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia in Argento Silver/Black grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit.
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution Bar:Shunyata Everest 8000 w/Omega XC Power Cable.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:3M Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110 ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:17 PM

My choice would be Shunyata Delta or Sigma but Nordost and WW make quality products as well.

Personally current Elrod Power Systems are the single best I have ever heard thus far but there is no demo and/or return policy unless a dealer like Robert B. at SOACables or Scott Warren in Texas or Cable Co. offers it.

Regardless of choice, I would not take a full loom as you will not really know which cables you should prioritize and what you are hearing.

I would suggest getting the absolute best power cord you can afford and starting with your power amp. Big bang for any buck there...the right pc on your amp(s) will tell you an awful lot and should be like a system upgrade IMHO....if you want to talk, PM me, we can get on the phone and I can share my cord and cable journey over the last 20 years...

Last edited by SCAudiophile; 11-04-2017 at 06:22 PM.