AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 10-13-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diapason View Post
I'm bumping this because I'm coming dangerously close to buying a pair of (used) Elipsa REDs without even hearing them, never mind hearing them in my room. Is this crazy behaviour?

Can anyone with the knowledge give me some idea how the Elipsa SE compares sonically to the Amati Futura? I'm very familiar with the latter, and if I could get "close" to that sound I'd be very happy. There's nowhere locally to dem the Elipsas, and hearing them would involve flights and a day off work that I can't really spare at the moment.

I think I need somebody to talk some sense into me!
Hi Diapason. If it makes you feel any better, I had heard the original Elipsas only once at my dealer's (and loved them), and then I had auditioned the SE version at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest only once as well (and loved them even more). After that I "saw" the speakers many, many times, but did not get the chance to do a proper audition again. Not ideal, of course, but I was familiar with the Sonus faber "house sound", so to speak, having owned Toy Towers for many years and also because I had spent time with Stradivaris, Futuras, Cremonas, Guarneris, etc... But sometimes you just go with your gut feeling. I took a really big leap of faith when I purchased my pair of Elipsa SE's without really having the chance to audition them at home first (as in your case). You can read all about that on these very pages, of course. But, to cut to the chase: I do not regret the decision at all!
Old 10-14-2015, 06:21 AM

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen.

Bart, I've never heard Elipsas at all, and my local dealer and Sonus Faber distributor hasn't either, so I think I've very little chance of hearing them nearby. I'm considering taking a flight to hear them elsewhere but since I'm looking at a private sale I don't think it's fair to make an appointment to hear them at a dealer. The seller is happy for me to listen to them at his place, but it's awkward to get there from here.

There's a voice in my head saying that my room has had such a MASSIVE effect on the sound of other speakers, hearing them anywhere else may not tell me very much anyway. Of course, they'll tell me whether I enjoy their tonal balance and general presentation, and I'd really prefer to know that at least before buying, but I'm *nearly* ready to take a risk. I'm definitely looking for something different to my current Kharmas, something with a bigger, warmer sound with a bit more sweep and scale, without giving up too much resolution. My experience with other Sonus Fabers suggests they might be a great choice...but yes, having never heard them at all, it's probably a bit ridiculous to buy a pair.

Esteban, your passion for these speakers comes across in all your posts, and if I end up buying them it will be partly your fault!! Thank you for all your comments.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:03 PM
Life is beautiful

Diapason,

Sonus Faber is definitely a warmer sounding speaker than Karma.

I was thinking, if these speakers are sold at a good price, your risk of buying them is not so big.
If you wouldn't like them, you could always sell them again. You won't lose much.

Good luck!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 10-15-2015, 02:43 AM

Yes, that's the kind of dangerous thinking in my mind too...!
Old 10-15-2015, 05:46 PM

I also own the Elipsa SE Reds and I love them. The SE Red version of the Elipsa are like baby Strads. Because of the size and weight they are very difficult to audition at home. I was lucky and found a demo pair at my ARC dealer.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:02 AM

I've pulled the trigger, the deal has been done, and it is quite literally all of your fault. I found this forum when researching Olympicas, Elipsas weren't even on my radar, but now look what you've made me do!

I'll let you know when they arrive. Thanks for all the advice and thoughts.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diapason View Post
I've pulled the trigger, the deal has been done, and it is quite literally all of your fault. I found this forum when researching Olympicas, Elipsas weren't even on my radar, but now look what you've made me do!

I'll let you know when they arrive. Thanks for all the advice and thoughts.
Congrats, Diapason! I'm pretty sure you won't regret this.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:48 AM
Life is beautiful

Diapason, congrats!
We'll take the blame, on one condition: a full report from you when they are installed!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 10-21-2015, 08:50 AM

That's guaranteed!
Old 10-21-2015, 09:35 AM

Default Elipsa

Hi,

I had the "old" Elipsa speakers, they were great!

I think the SE model will sound wonderful.

If there is a little too much bass, try moving out from the back wall a little if you sit there, that will reduce bass.

Dag