AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 12-16-2017, 02:46 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
Exactly right! They try to source everything from the immediate area, right down to the transformers!

I know you had reservations with Schiit in general, at least once upon a time. Have those fears have been alleviated? If so, when are you pulling the trigger on a Yaggy?
Yup. Schiit *rocks*....talk about a company that works hard to make a meaningful contribution to society...they put their money where their mouth is.

And how many audio companies offer a 5 year warranty on the majority of their products???
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:48 AM

...by the way Dan, it’s Christmas! Where’s the Christmas Spirit and your usual Christmas helper avatar?
Old 12-16-2017, 03:00 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Great to hear so many with positive reviews related to a separate component DAC.

I get it’s a fine line with running a manufacturing audio business where you need to price a product and hope volume can support overhead and god forbid make a profit. Business ain’t easy!

Looks like Schiit was able to find this niche with US build quality, reference sound and a price to allow anyone to branch out, update or consider separates for the very first time.

Hope to see them successful and bring many audiophiles of all kinds into the enjoyment of great sound in their very own listening space.

Merry Christmas [emoji320][emoji319]
Old 12-16-2017, 02:18 PM
Merry Christmas to all

In the video it is good to see the Yggdrasil gets a 72 hour burn-in before final testing and packaging. I like that.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-16-2017, 02:46 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
In the video it is good to see the Yggdrasil gets a 72 hour burn-in before final testing and packaging. I like that.
Yup. Still, it will take about 2-3 months of solid burn-in for an Yggy to come on full-song. The good thing is, you do not need to be playing music through it to burn it in; it just has to be powered on. If the Yggy is turned off for more than a short time, it can take 2-3 days to restabilize to full performance.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:37 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Watching the Yggdrasil being assembled I can't help but marvel at the modular design concept of the different sections of the DAC, both digital and analog. This affords owners an easy way to upgrade should Mike or Jason develop improvements. Those with Gen 3 USB inputs can easily install the Gen 5 USB input using the build video as a guide. It is unique that the only internal cable is the ribbon cable from the main board to the front panel board. All other circuit paths are achieved via pins and sockets. This not only makes for efficient, foolproof, and quick assembly, it also provides ultimate simplicity for upgrades.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 12-16-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:45 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Watching the Yggdrasil being assembled I can't help but marvel at the modular design concept of the different sections of the DAC, both digital and analog. This affords owners an easy way to upgrade should Mike or Jason develop improvements. Those with Gen 3 USB inputs can easily install the Gen 5 USB input using the build video as a guide. It is unique that the only internal cable is the ribbon cable from the main board to the front panel board. All other circuit paths are achieved via pins and sockets. This not only makes for efficient, foolproof, and quick assembly, it also provides ultimate simplicity for upgrades.
I agree, it's very cool how they thought that out. Their intention right from the beginning was to make as much functionality upgrade-able as possible. They really want owners to be able to maximize their initial investment, rather than having to get on the merry go-round of having to constantly buy gear to obtain the latest functionality.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
It would be far more tempting from a perspective buyer's view if the $5999.00 price of the Directstream DAC were more inline with the $2299.00 price of the Schiit Yggdrasil DAC, particularly since by all accounts the Yggdrasil's performance and sound consistently gets compared to DACs costing five times or more its price.
Note that's not entirely fair as the PS Audio DAC will also process streaming audio (via the Bridge II card) as well as PCM up to 24/352.8, DSD64, DSD128 and MQA; as a matter of fact the PS Audio DAC follows the convention du jour, for better or worse, of converting everything, including PCM, to DSD before output.

Whether you want/need support for those other formats is up to the customer.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:59 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Bill.......I understand your point, but feature wise I have no need for streaming from a DAC since both of my Aurender music servers provide that function admirably. I have no interest in DSD files consuming my server's hard drive capacity with the huge files since I enjoy DSD from SACD's played on my Esoteric K-01X. MQA hasn't gained my enthusiasm to any extent, either. And up-conversion of all files to DSD without the ability to defeat the up-conversion process if desired doesn't appeal to me. Even though the Vggdrasil DAC is not a direct apples to apples comparison with the Directstream DAC, the Yggy's appeal to me is far more interesting for the R2R ladder DAC conversion process and its closed-form digital filter than PS Audio's offering.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:41 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Bill.......I understand your point, but feature wise I have no need for streaming from a DAC since both of my Aurender music servers provide that function admirably. I have no interest in DSD files consuming my server's hard drive capacity with the huge files since I enjoy DSD from SACD's played on my Esoteric K-01X. MQA hasn't gained my enthusiasm to any extent, either. And up-conversion of all files to DSD without the ability to defeat the up-conversion process if desired doesn't appeal to me. Even though the Vggdrasil DAC is not a direct apples to apples comparison with the Directstream DAC, the Yggy's appeal to me is far more interesting for the R2R ladder DAC conversion process and its closed-form digital filter than PS Audio's offering.

Not to mention that 5 year warranty...