AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners Voltage regulation to AC Regeneration

Old 12-15-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
Great advice throughout this thread and the above!

A few thoughts on "back to basics" things to get right before spending thousands on power cables and conditioners;

- For 3 different houses, I've found using 10-gauge over 12 for a 20-amp circuit even though 12-gauge is all that is needed has resulted in much better dynamics and seemingly unlimited headroom. I use straight Southwire Romex SIMpull available at Lowe's for the current and past house with great results, no cryo, no $30-$60 (USD) per foot 'fancy audiophile cable' in the walls need, all much easier than the 1st house that I went with hand-pulled wire through MC-Lite conduit, J-boxes, etc...I learned the hard way that using MC-Lite (metal) conduit and (metal) J-boxes is a real PITA to get the ground potentials exactly the same on multiple duplexes, and other related issues. Hand-pulling wire through 80+ feet of MC-Lite will also have even the friendliest electrician cursing at you (me) :-)

- Next lower cost item to focus on is dual ground rods (IMHO) with CADWELD-bonded ground wires perma-bonded to the rods; the difference was huge....

- Next step is optional but gave huge dividends; Environmental Potentials EP-2050 Waveform regenerator & surge protection ($800) on the main house panel right off the mains and EP-2750 Ground Filters ($175 each) on any audio or video circuit in the main panel or sub-panel; everything will get better even your normal high-def cable TV watching the minute you throw the main house breaker to "ON"...

All that stated,...Isotek Elite power cords are good,...used to have one between my TITAN and SIGMAS as a unifying umbilical and still have one on my OPPO 105D in the living room. They are quite good for the $$$.

Isotek OPTIMUM power cords (have one as the umbilical between TITAN and SIGMAS are noticeably better than the ELITE particularly with respect to enhancing the speed and depth of upper and lower bass. If you can get an OPTIMUM for your most critical things or else to your power conditioner

Shunyata SIGMA NR (which I've tested) is a tremendous and amazing power cord; best that Caelin & team have ever created (and I used to own aLOT of Shunyata cords....) IMHO. $3K for standard length but tons of bang for the buck! A truly serious, world-class power cord!

Shunyata Alpha power cords (latest) and Delta are also equally impressive at their respective price points.

Aquarius versus Sigmas from Isotek: I've tried the EVO2 generation of Sigmas and own the EVO3 generation of TITAN and SIGMAS. Big difference between the 2 and the EVO3 of anything from Isotek. Focus on the EVO3 generation....I have not tried the Aquarius but know 2 guys who own it and love it; both have heard the SIGMAS as has 1 guy I know who upgraded from Aquarius to SIGMAS and they say the differences are noticeable but both deliver equivalent to their price point and beyond.

Isotek power conditioners are some of "the" finest in the world; clean, tons of headroom/dynamics, very musical effect in system after their application, etc....

Shunyata Denali and TRITON v3: To my ears in testing believe these are the finest Shunyata have ever built and each amazing in their own right. The TRITON v3 continues to drop my jaw at just how fantastic it is. The grounding plane/star-grounding attach points on each of them is an outright brilliant stroke and I cannot say enough good things about the latest gen of Shunyata power conditioners. I cannot wait to see what taking the 'stack' route by adding a full Typhon QR tethered to a Triton v3 will be capable of.
I don't have any experience with AQ power cords in the last 7 years so cannot comment on something I believe was asked earlier. Don't overlook these conditioners now or in the future IMHO...

FWIW...
This is why I really like AA. Even re-subscribed a couple of days ago to say thanks...

Awesome review, confirms an idea I had to go ahead with Aquarius and Optimum cables for the amps and elite cables for the other equipment. As I said in my original post, I am sure all brands have + and -, but I want to stick to one brand & Isotek price points look darn nice to me. Will make sure to stick to EV03.

One question.. EV03 Titan. What will this do for the equipment? Have you tried it with/without it?

Thanks