AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 12-01-2011, 02:18 AM
Music Lover

Beautiful speakers.
Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect
Old 12-01-2011, 08:03 AM

Victor while I have never seen or heard the Elipsa SE I do own a pair of Elipsa's and they are terrific if I say so myself. Get ready for a whole new sound in your house . The Elipsa's may be the last pair of speakers you will want for a long long time. Mine took over a month to break in and I had to remove the subwoofer from my 2 channel system. To really make them sing I think you are going to need a pair of 601's or 501's. I use 501's and it is not unusual at 45-50 on my C2300 pre amp to see peaks of over 200 watts on the meter with drums.

Last edited by 1KW; 12-01-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Victor while I have never seen or heard the Elipsa SE I do own a pair of Elipsa's and they are terrific if I say so myself. Get ready for a whole new sound in your house . The Elipsa's may be the last pair of speakers you will want for a long long time. Mine took over a month to break in and I had to remove the subwoofer from my 2 channel system. To really make them sing I think you are going to need a pair of 601's or 501's. I use 501's and it is not unusual at 45-50 on my C2300 pre amp to see peaks of over 200 watts on the meter with drums.

Same story here, as 1KW above!
Old 12-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Member #1000

My thought on the power issue is: initially 75 watts will be enough, but as I get used to the smoother sounding Sonus Faber speakers I'll want to turn it up more and I'll be running out of power then.

When I listened to the Amanti Futura speakers at the dealer I found myself listening at higher volumes than I listen to my B&W speakers at home. Oh well, it may be time to for a complete system rebuild.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
My thought on the power issue is: initially 75 watts will be enough, but as I get used to the smoother sounding Sonus Faber speakers I'll want to turn it up more and I'll be running out of power then.

When I listened to the Amanti Futura speakers at the dealer I found myself listening at higher volumes than I listen to my B&W speakers at home. Oh well, it may be time to for a complete system rebuild.
Victor, that is exactly what will happen. I run my Elipsas with Bryston at 900w into 4 ohms and it is a very, very nice combo. The Elipsa is a more forgiving speaker that is not without it's own euphonic coloration that is very pleasant but IMHO requires the right partnering amp. The Bryston did it for me for theater/2 channel listening. I feel tubes, especially 75w are too mushy and flabby with Elipsa. The MC2301's would be a much better match if tubes is the way you want to go. You can get a pair for about $13k these days.

Last edited by PHC1; 12-01-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Victor, that is exactly what will happen. I run my Elipsas with Bryston at 900w into 4 ohms and it is a very, very nice combo. The Elipsa is a more forgiving speaker that is not without it's own euphonic coloration that is very pleasant but IMHO requires the right partnering amp. The Bryston did it for me for theater/2 channel listening. I feel tubes, especially 75w are too mushy and flabby with Elipsa. The MC2301's would be a much better match if tubes is the way you want to go. You can get a pair for about $13k these days.
Or ARC Ref 150
Old 12-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Member #1000

If I get the Elipsa speakers and change my amps I would probably go with solid state amp or integrated. The reason I got the tube amps was to try and take a little of the "edge" off of the B&W speakers, the Elipsa SEs should not need this. I have heard and absolutely love the MC2301s but that's just not in my plans (too much heat from all those tubes).

Last edited by Victor; 12-01-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:57 AM

Looking at the pictures of the new SE version, if you can purchase a pair of Elipsa SE speakers for only 2 grand more than original Elipsa it would be a no brainer however at the list price of 22 grand it is now in the same price range as a pre owned pair of Strads which is something to also consider.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Member #1000

Used Strads would be a good choice for me but they don't come up on the used market very often, and when they do it's usually an out of country listing full of RED flags. Strads should be a good fit in my room but the price on new Strads is quite a bit out of my range.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Hear to listen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
Used Strads would be a good choice for me but they don't come up on the used market very often, and when they do it's usually an out of country listing full of RED flags. Strads should be a good fit in my room but the price on new Strads is quite a bit out of my range.
I'm pretty sure my dealer has used Strads available...need a good road trip? I'm checking for you.

Aural pleasures courtesy of SME, Dynavector, Audio Research, Simaudio, Wireworld, & Wilson

Last edited by BlueChiaro; 12-03-2011 at 10:25 AM.