AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 11-04-2019, 01:44 PM

I found my Micro Benz SLR with its microridge tip quieter then my Koetsu Jade. It also may be the higher output from the Benz which reduced the noise.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgrenwick View Post

The vinyl is new from several sources.
What I’m finding is if it’s a big name like
The Beatles or Pink Floyd it’s fine. My Tom Petty Wildflowers
Is amazing. The mofi is great too.
When it’s not one of these is seems obvious that
The vinyl was an after thought and the pressings are terrible.
oh there's there's good small labels out there, Acony Records for one. David Rawlings and Gillian Welch do a wonderful job with them. As have Chad Kassem and his Blue Heaven Studios turned out some real gems.

Quote:
I thought owning the vinyl and streaming for convenience
Was the way to go, but I think all my issues will be resolved going digital.
Expensive mistake.
I'm curious, how old are you ? I'm guessing you did not grow up with vinyl and are hoping to 'find the supposed magic' that so many are talking about ?

Hopefully you will find your slice of sonic heaven soon ........
Old 11-04-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgrenwick View Post
What was suppose to be my dream system has turned into a sickening feeling, this is not for me. Does not fit my personality if that makes sense.
Buyers remorse to the max. I went with superb equipment that was very pricy and now I’m not sure what to do next. I want to sell my turntable, cartridge, and phono-stage and go digital. The quality of the bulk of vinyl I have bought is not good. It is so noisy, full of pops and crackles. I have cleaned the records on a pro-ject machine, I’ve used cleaning/static brushes, it doesn’t matter, seeems to be inherit in the pressing. The only vinyl I have that isn’t this way is from MFSL, the rest varies. Some is so bad I can’t even listen to it as the noise is equal to that of the recording.

What kind of loss can I expect on a VPI Prime Signature, SoundSmith Zephyr MKIII, Manley Chinook? I don’t see a section on this board to list equipment, any recommendations?

Thanks for reading.
Hey man,

Don't be so quick to give up on vinyl. When I first got back into vinyl, I ended up in virtually the same situation as yours. I spent thousands of dollars only to end up with one headache after the next. My low quality mps sounded far better than my vinyl records.

To make a long story short, the turntable I bought was a lemon. I exchanged it and most of my problems went away. Then I discovered that the quality of new records varies significantly. It simply isn't ideal to walk into a store and buy random albums and expect them to all be of high quality. In fact, many of them are going to be garbage quality pressings despite what their hyper stickers say. I have learned that if I want to buy an album, I have to go online first and do research to see what the best pressing is for a given album. Discogs is a good place and the people on the Steve Hoffman forum are also pretty obsessed with comparing every pressing in existence. I have become super picky as to what goes into my collection.

In the end, I am so glad that I didn't give up! There are some vinyl records that just sound so incredibly magical that I can never go back to digital only.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:20 AM

You are not alone who found out that vinyl was not for you. I came to the same conclusion for the reasons you have expressed. For me, vinyl takes too much care to clean, keep clean, handle everything to avoid scratches and damages. I personally find it to be a PITA. Some hardcore vinyl enthusiasts believe it's part of the experience. So are the pops and crackles. For me, one pop/crackle is already too much. This distracts me from the music you have no idea. It reminds me that I am listening to a recording. I went fully digital in early 2019 and I am not looking back. I prefer to rip my CD to my likings and store them on the internal hard drive of my Bryson BDP. I so much enjoy to be able to click on an album on my phone and that it plays instantly. To each his own, and for those who swear by vinyl, I am happy for them.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:43 PM

I loved the sound of vinyl better than digital, but I have become clumsy in my old age. After destroying my second multi thousand dollar needle on my cartridge by being too clumsy I decided to get totally out after more than 60 years.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here is the lack of vinyl for many newer recordings. They just don't exist. I am a fan of C-Jazz and there were very few recent records available to purchase that I was interested in, for example Fourplay and Rippingtons.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Denali 6000/s V2, Altaira
Old 11-05-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMCH View Post
... One thing that hasn't been mentioned here is the lack of vinyl for many newer recordings. They just don't exist. I am a fan of C-Jazz and there were very few recent records available to purchase that I was interested in, for example Fourplay and Rippingtons.
My experience has been just the opposite. Not only are LPs available for most of the new releases that interest me, but the fidelity and dynamic range on LP often exceeds its CD counterpart.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:15 PM

cleeds, you are lucky that most of the music you are looking for is on LP's. That was not the case for me. I do agree with you that just about any LP I played sounded better than the same CD. I just find that there is more to break on a TT for those like me who are klutzy especially when trying to be careful.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Denali 6000/s V2, Altaira
Old 11-05-2019, 10:35 PM

Another good thread. So, we have zero vinyl (except for the kids, different story..).

Question: in 2020, would you start a vinyl journey? Or direct investment into a better digital system?

There is an undeniable coolness about playing an LP and likely deep satisfaction when all the effort results in a first-rate playback experience, but the learning curve looks steep. Worth it?
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Another good thread. So, we have zero vinyl (except for the kids, different story..).

Question: in 2020, would you start a vinyl journey? Or direct investment into a better digital system?

There is an undeniable coolness about playing an LP and likely deep satisfaction when all the effort results in a first-rate playback experience, but the learning curve looks steep. Worth it?
Absolutely worth it. And for me it is not coolness. It is about the sonics. When I took the plunge and got my first vinyl rig the moment I dropped the cartridge into the groove I was hooked to the undeniable warmth, tonality, and dynamic range. Night and day to digital.

Disclaimer: my digital rig is old. But even at shows, like the CAF last weekend Vinyl sounds superior to the best digital in my opinion.
Allnic H3000/CJ ET5/Mcintosh 501's
Thiel CS3.6
Thiel CS6
MIT EVO 2 IC
Straightwire Maestro II SC
Shunyata Denali SV2
Shunyata Sigma XC
Wywires Juice PC’s
Kubala Sosna PC’s
Dedicated 20 amp lines
Porter Ports
Arcici Ref Suspense Stand
Rives acoustically designed room

Shore House
Basis 1400 Signature/Hadcock 228/Ortofon Jubilee
ARC PH 5/Meridian 200/Meridian 263 DAC
CJ Premier 14/Classe CA200/Thiel 3.6
Wywires Silver IC/Stereolab Diablo SC/MIT Z cord II
Old 11-06-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post

I started with vinyl when there was no digital. I still own a TT and have a decent LP collection which I listen to every so often. However, if I were starting today, I would not bother with analog. IME, for the same amount spent, today’s digital will beat analog in SQ. But More importantly, for the cost of a single LP a month, one can have millions of albums available immediately. After all, it is about the music.