AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 12-09-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldominion View Post
GPA hasn't responded to two emails I've sent. I've heard that customer service isn't a strong suit...

And yes, I've been recommended a subwoofer by many 604 users. I've never been a fan of subs, have never really heard a system with a sub that sounded that good to me. You are correct, however, that that should be a move to consider...but I'd probably just sell the 604's before going down that road. I have limited room and the 604's already take up enough space!

Back when I bought the amps I had a back and forth with Dennis. He's not a huge fan of the 604's, even though he once designed a xover for them, nor subs.
As an Altec collector, I've had multiple interactions with GPA. You're wasting your time with e-mail. The only way to really get in touch with them is to call them. If you're lucky, Bill H himself will answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by straitwire View Post
I imagine Dennis is chuckling right now.
Dennis has designed and manufactured tens of thousands of amplifiers with voltages ranging from 2000 to 7000 volts and producing 500 watts to 8000 watts of output power. 900 volts is child's play. What a hoot...
As backstory, don't forget that Dennis is an old HAM and founded the HAM radio companies Dentron and Ameritron. He still builds and tinkers with an old friend and as Straitwire mentioned, kilovoltages are old hat for him. But, I asked him the 845/811 question quite awhile ago and at least at that time, he did not have output transformers available that met his standard for the power handling requirements created by those tubes
Old 12-10-2019, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldominion View Post
And yes, I've been recommended a subwoofer by many 604 users. I've never been a fan of subs, have never really heard a system with a sub that sounded that good to me.
No experience with 604s, but I have obtained acceptable subwoofer integration using a little trick. Using test tones, I dial in my subwoofer at -1 dB below the output from my monitors at 120Hz. Or even -2 dB. Then set the sub crossover to 60Hz.

I'm not looking for a really strong bass presence, rather I try to just add some lower bass presence / fullness. Some music has some very important content down in the lower registers and it isn't the same without it.

I've found that by running my sub at a bit lower volume level that it musically integrates better with my primary speakers while still having a presence on the lowest registers.

One of the combinations I use this for is using a sub with my Focal 906 monitors when driven by my low-power Inspire EL84 amp. But in this config I also filter off the low frequencies to the amp or else it clips very easily trying to hit the lower notes.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:58 PM

Default Inspire LP-3.1a early or early Christmas present

I have a Inspire LP-3.1 preamp that I sent to Dennis to checkout,the preamp checked out fine .I have decided to have it updated to the current model LP-3.1a,I hope he finishes it in time for me to pick up next week while I am in NC for Christmas.If not I will pick it up after Christmas,I am in no hurry and then I can’t wait to hear it in my system.Takling to Dennis today was a real treat.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:08 PM

Default Tube rolling with Inspire 6FLV

So I recently purchased a 6FLV amp and I am ready for some tube rolling fun!!

It came with a pair of Genalex KT-77 power tubes provided by Dennis as well as a Sovtek 5AR4 rectifier and 3 NOS driver tubes (Raytheon 6SL7GT, JAN RCA 6SL7GT AND RCA 5691 Red base).

So right off the bat I am ordering a pair of RCA 807 with tube adapers, 6P3S-E from Russia, Tungsol 6L6G (new), Genalex 6V6GT (new), TAD 6L6wgc-str (new), Sylvania 6L6 metal, 3 pairs of 6F6 metals (RCA, GE and Sylvania), Sylvania 6F6g grey plates, Sophia Electric blue glass 6SL7.

I am not too sure what to do when it comes to rectifiers, so I am ordering a new EH 5U4GB which Dennis sometimes ships amps with. What would you guys recommend as far as 5Y3 tubes and 5U4 both NOS or reissue are concerned? What have you experimented with? 5Y3GT?

Also 2 quick questions:

-can I use a 6SN7 as driver tube?
-274b with 807's or 5U4/5U4G?

Happy listening to everyone and Happy Holidays!!

David

Last edited by david45; 12-20-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david45 View Post

It came with a pair of Genalex KT-77 power tubes provided by Dennis as well as a Sovtek 5AR4 rectifier and 3 NOS driver tubes (Raytheon 6SL7GT, JAN RCA 6SL7GT AND RCA 5691 Red base).

So right off the bat I am ordering a pair of RCA 807 with tube adapers, 6P3S-E from Russia, Tungsol 6L6G (new), Genalex 6V6GT (new), TAD 6L6wgc-str (new), Sylvania 6L6 metal, 3 pairs of 6F6 metals (RCA, GE and Sylvania), Sylvania 6F6g grey plates, Sophia Electric blue glass 6SL7.

I am not too sure what to do when it comes to rectifiers, so I am ordering a new EH 5U4GB which Dennis sometimes ships amps with. What would you guys recommend as far as 5Y3 tubes and 5U4 both NOS or reissue are concerned? What have you experimented with? 5Y3GT?

Also 2 quick questions:

David

That’s a pretty new Inspire Model. Not a lot of those around yet I think. Better send those last 2 to Dennis direct. Unless Straitwire could answer.

As to tubes to add to that lot, add a butt ugly 5U4 from Brent Jesse. For $20 an easy roll. Also get some Russian 6f6s. Also inexpensive. Last I was an Cary we rolled a bunch of 6v6 and 6f6 through an Inspire 6v6er. Similar to your 6FLV. Those Ruskies won the day (5U4) with some pretty stiff competition. Pope and Visseaux 6v6gt, rca 6v6 blackplates, others I cannot remember. Good fun was had. I ordered a 6v6er that day. Though I think Dennis might have combined the two into the 6FLV-V. I’m looking forward with much anticipation.

Have a good time rolling.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:

Also 2 quick questions:

David

That’s a pretty new Inspire Model. Not a lot of those around yet I think. Better send those last 2 to Dennis direct. Unless Straitwire could answer.

As to tubes to add to that lot, add a butt ugly 5U4 from Brent Jesse. For $20 an easy roll. Also get some Russian 6f6s. Also inexpensive. Last I was an Cary we rolled a bunch of 6v6 and 6f6 through an Inspire 6v6er. Similar to your 6FLV. Those Ruskies won the day (5U4) with some pretty stiff competition. Pope and Visseaux 6v6gt, rca 6v6 blackplates, others I cannot remember. Good fun was had. I ordered a 6v6er that day. Though I think Dennis might have combined the two into the 6FLV-V. I’m looking forward with much anticipation.

Have a good time rolling.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:

Also 2 quick questions:

David
I have a PSE and just received a Sophia Blue 6SL7. Excellent tube. Let us know how you like it.

I have a JJ 5Y3s on the way. A 6SN7 has less gain than a 6SL7. You can use a 5U4 or 274B with the 807's. Check out the Preferred Series 274B from the Tube Store. If you buy old production 5Y3's on epay be sure the sections are closely matched.

I have used the TS and GL 6V6GT but much prefer the Philips/Pope 6V6GT. I'm using quad of the Pope's with the Blue Sophia and a 5Y3 rectifier. YMMV.

You can use any rectifier with the TAD & TS 6L6. Experiment and trust your ears. Look up your amp on epay completed purchases. There is a jpg of the rectifier/power tube combos there.

The old production 6L6G, GA's and 6V6G's can be magical. Use only a 5y3 rectifier with these.

The GLKT77's take up to 100 hours to settle in so be patient.

Go slow with tube rolling or you will go broke and nuts. Been there done that.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 12-21-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:49 PM

Bearcity and FloridaBoy, thank you so much for the replies.

I still haven't officially received my new to me 6flv amp but I can't wait to go pick it up!!

With all those tube rolling options, I'm feeling like a kid in a candy store!

Bearcity: I am definitely ordering some 6f6s as per your suggestion as well as a 5U4 from Brent Jessee. He also has some NOS 5Y3 for 15$ a pop so I'll add one of those.

I can only find some 6f6s tubes available for sale on ebay and they come in both regular or ST bottle. As you said they are very affordable so I'm thinking I should get a pair of each.
Thanks again for the recommendations and let us know how you like that 6v6er after you spend some time with it! I will make sure to do the same!

FloridaBoy: I will be ordering a JJ 5Y3S as well and that 274b you told me to check out. The Pope 6v6gt tubes were originally on my radar, but as you said patience is a virtue and I don't necessarily want to go down the rabbit hole lol. Still undecided. Will most likely order them instead of the Genalex haha.
I saved the jpg you were reffering to a couple weeks ago and find it extremely convenient. Thanks for reminding me. Come to think of it, I still have a pair of TS KT120 I could also play with...but for some reason the jpg/combo sheet indicates 4 ohms and not 8...we'll see how that goes.

As for old production 6L6G, GA's and 6V6G's, that's going to have to wait. Plan is to experiment with all the possible combinations, break in the tubes nicely and enjoy the tunes.

And when I start going nuts in a few weeks or months, I guess I'll simply have to refrain from visiting the forum. Easier said then done I suppose :P

Last edited by david45; 12-21-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 02:16 PM

A bit of a teaser. I received a copy of an actual manual for the 6FLV-v in my inbox a couple weeks ago. Not sure what has gotten into our ‘retired’ friend over there in Cary.
Old 12-21-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcity View Post
A bit of a teaser. I received a copy of an actual manual for the 6FLV-v in my inbox a couple weeks ago. Not sure what has gotten into our ‘retired’ friend over there in Cary.
Clearly Dennis is getting carried away/losing it!! jk

Last edited by david45; 12-21-2019 at 04:42 PM.