AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > GIK Acoustics

GIK Acoustics Bringing Your Sound To Life

Old 10-08-2017, 09:55 AM

This is a great real world case study Jim, thank you for sharing. I have a very unconventional room layout that I'm also embarking on a journey to acoustically treat. I'm going to try and document here as you did as this is super helpful.

Regarding your first reflection point panels, did you try the 244s with scatter plates in this position? Diffusion is still the biggest mystery to me, when to use and when not.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:26 PM

No, robdb2, as indicated earlier in the thread, I'd tried the scatter-plated 244s at only the second reflection points. And thought full-range 244s in that position elicited "better" performance from the system.

However, I conducted that audition before finishing up the acoustic treatment with the DIY panels covering the jewel cases...and making a number of component changes (replacing the active preamp with a passive, upgrading the adapter connecting the Uptone Audio REGEN to my USB DAC, replacing the standard USB 3.0 cable connecting the music-source external drive to the laptop with a Wireworld Starlight, slipping Stillpoints UltraMinis under the laptop, DAC, and amp, and--as of this coming Tuesday--replacing my old Tara speaker cable with Blue Jeans/Belden 10-gauge).

Once the new speaker cable settles in, I'll give the scatter-plated 244s a go at the first reflection points and maybe again at the second reflection points to see what, if any, changes I hear. I don't know the precise auditioning timeline, as I'm now neck-deep in a murder mystery I started writing in July and am spending most of my time these days working on that.

If I hear any changes that I consider improvements with a repositioning of the scatter-plates at either reflection point, I'll post here.

Jim

Main: Win 10 AMD A12 laptop, JRiver Media Center 22 audio player, with music fed by 3TB external drive, Wireworld Starlight 7 USB cable, TEAC UD-501 DAC, upgraded SOTA Sapphire III, Origin Live Encounter Mk3c/Ortofon 2M Black, Graham Slee Era Gold V, McIntosh MR77, Oppo BDP-83, conrad johnson Premier 17LS (6922EH) & MF2500, Paradigm SE-3s. Wireworld Equinox 6 ICs, Blue Jeans/Belden 5T00UP SC. PS Audio Dectet, Wireworld Electra 5/2 PCs (PR17LS, Dectet), Hubbell HBL5362 duplex outlet. GIK standard 244 and scatter-plate 244 and Monster traps.

Home Office: Win 10 PC/JRiver Media Center 22 audio player, with music fed by 4TB external drive, TEAC UD-501 DAC, c-j Sonographe SC-25, Sonographe SA250, Paradigm SE-1, WW Equinox 6 IC, Blue Jeans/Belden 5T00UP speaker cable, Shunyata Hydra PLC, upgraded-connector Wireworld Electra 7 PC from PLC to UD-501.

Bedroom: Win 10 i7 laptop/JRiver Media Center 22 audio player, with music fed by 4TB external USB drive connected via Wireworld Starlight 7 USB 3.0 cable; Wireworld Silver Starlight 7 USB cable to Uptone Audio ReGen via USPCB A>B Adapter; Uptone Audio LPS-1 power supply; TEAC UD-501; Luminous Audio Axiom Mk. II passive preamp; c-j Sonographe SA250; stand-mounted Paradigm Studio 20 v.5s; WW Eclipse 7 ICs; Blue Jeans/Belden 5T00UP speaker cable; Blue Circle Thingee FX 0e PLC; WW Electra 5^2 power cord (from wall to PLC); upgraded-connector WW Electra 7 power cord (from PLC to UD-501); PS Audio Power Port; Stillpoints Ultra Minis under laptop, UD-501, LPS-1, and SA250; rubber-and-cork isolators under 4TB external drive; GIK 244, 244 Scatter Plate, 224, and Monster traps; DIY 4"-thick 12"x15" traps.