AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 12-19-2014, 07:40 AM

Default Small dilemna: two combo

arc dealer lent me a ref75+ref5

i tried several speakers in the 88-90 db range and it worked fine until i used it in the harbeth p3esr (84 db--6 ohms). It can play but i know somehow it can used a little bit more power. My volume is about 50 in the REF5 while the other speakers are in the 30-44 range.

i love the tonality or the REF75, love its sweet, its great, purity. I wish it had a little more power for the tiny P3esrs.

my aim now is to buy a REF150 + REF5SE.

question becomes if i buy a reF5SE + REF150 will the REF5SE compensate the shortness of performance of the REF 5 (REF5+REF75) granting the REF 75 is better sounding than the REF150 ?

In other words

is REF5 + REF75 better sounding than REF5SE+REF150

Thanks

SLM
Old 12-19-2014, 07:56 AM

no. The Ref5se is much better than Ref5, and the 150 and 75 are both excellent. I have owned all four of these, and the 150 is simply excellent. It has a larger sense of scale than the 75, but the 75 has just the tinyest bit more immediacy.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:07 AM

My first reaction is that most people build a system around their speakers. You don't appear to be doing that, but maybe you should. When you say you have tried it with many speakers... Why? Do you not know what you'll be pairing the gear with? What have you narrowed it down to? If you don't know, then spend some time thinking about that first.

You've been asking this question for a while, but it should be pretty clear to you after hearing it: you won't go wrong with either amp. You'll only "have" to go with the 150 if you choose a lower than average sensitivity speaker in a large room. So figure that part out.

Also, given that the Ref 5se is much better than the Ref 5, you can more easily afford it if you go with the ref75. Provided you pick speakers that have a decent sensitivity, you won't look back.

Last edited by 2fastdriving; 12-19-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
My first reaction is that most people build a system around their speakers. You don't appear to be doing that, but maybe you should. When you say you have tried it with many speakers... Why? Do you not know what you'll be pairing the gear with? What have you narrowed it down to? If you don't know, then spend some time thinking about that first.

You've been asking this question for a while, but it should be pretty clear to you after hearing it: you won't go wrong with either amp. You'll only "have" to go with the 150 if you choose a lower than average sensitivity speaker in a large room. So figure that part out.

I own several speakers and do switch them around.
By average around 85 dB? The p3 is around 84 dB. My room is fairly large.
Thanks for the comments.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:20 AM

I always thought that harbeth was easy to drive, because it is a popular speaker for the tube crowd.

Forgive me, but it seems odd to rotate speakers in a system on a normal basis. For me, I pick the best single speakers I can afford and pick the best matching gear. If I upgrade, I'd make the decision based on the intended gear or speakers and how it works with what I have or the direction I'm going .

From the comments I've read, this seems to be the most common system building process.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I always thought that harbeth was easy to drive, because it is a popular speaker for the tube crowd.

Forgive me, but it seems odd to rotate speakers in a system on a normal basis. For me, I pick the best single speakers I can afford and pick the best matching gear. If I upgrade, I'd make the decision based on the intended gear or speakers and how it works with what I have or the direction I'm going .

From the comments I've read, this seems to be the most common system building process.
Yes harbeths are easy load but the arc 75 I feel could do a little more power. The meter was always at the half way mark. Thanks again for your help.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:28 AM

More powerful amplifier will be able to drive bigger selection of different speakers (loads).
Go with higher power / smaller output impedance or even consider a SS-amplifier.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:41 AM

ref 150 will drive most speakers out there.
heard one last week and it was definitely very nice.
but, you want those meters, don't you?
Old 12-19-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog brother View Post
ref 150 will drive most speakers out there.
heard one last week and it was definitely very nice.
but, you want those meters, don't you?

The meters are nice but not necessary. I think ref 150 would be my best bet.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:00 AM

We had a big party here last Sunday. The REF75 drove the Alexias with ease to high volumes, even in my mid-large room. I felt the room was breaking up at 110+ db levels not the amp. I'd have to wait until my room is remodeled before I'd say something bad about the REF75 with the needles dancing across the face. As I've said, the 75 is one terrific bargain in power amp world. It'll let you go for 5SE which is a wonderful pairing. Unless you listen at very high volumes regularly, I'd not worry much about the power rating. But I'd take the 75/5SE over the 150/5 combo any day.