AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 08-09-2013, 04:45 PM

Default Power line conditioner with ARC Ref 150

I recently bought a Shunyata Triton Power line conditioner. I have been breaking in the Triton (requires 200 hour break in) with a fan and a small refrigerator and it should be ready to plug into my system this weekend. Up until now, I have had my ARC Ref 150 amp connected direct into the wall (where I have a 20 amp dedicated line), with the rest of my system going through a Running Springs Audio Power Line conditioner. However, the Triton is supposed to be able to handle the amp well. Any recommendations from REF 150 or Triton owners? Is is better to keep my current direct from wall setup or to go through the Triton? I will obviously try it out myself on the system but it would be great to hear from other that may have similar setups.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:34 PM

I have my ARC Ref5SE, DAC8 and DS450 (amp), Esoteric K-05 and Bryston BDP-2 connected to the Triton. No issues...
Old 08-09-2013, 08:45 PM

I have a pair of Parasound Halo JC-1 monoblocks plugged into my Triton, along with a McIntosh C2500, an EAR 324 phono stage, a Xilica HD4080 controller, and a VPI SDS. Oh, and my OPPO BDP-105, too.

The Triton does not limit the current drawn by the amps at all. And for some reason they don't just sound "cleaner" or "clearer" or "better," they actually sound louder.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Main: Wilson Alexia, D'Agostino M400 monoblocks, Ypsilon PST-100 Mk 2 preamp, Helix 1 turntable w/Lyra Etna SL cart and SAT tonearm, Ypsilon VPS-100, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Shunyata Triton v2 & Typhon, Shunyata Cyclops and power cords, Transparent Opus MM2 speaker cables and interconnects, Kubala-Sosna interconnects and power cords.

Family Room: Legacy Focus towers, sub, and surrounds, McIntosh MC452, McIntosh C2500, DHC-80.3, Parasound Halo A-51, Sony HAP-Z1ES, AppleTV, OPPO BDP-105D, Sonos, XBox One, XBox 360, Shunyata Triton.

Office: KEF LS-50, Decware Zen Mystery Amp, E.A.R. 868, Sony HAP-Z1ES, Sonos.

Library: B&W 805 Maserati, JL Audio Fathom f113 sub, twin MC275LE, McIntosh C2500, AMG Viella V12 w/Lyra Etna cart, Sony HAP-Z1ES, Sennheiser HDVD 800 headphone amp/DAC, Sennheiser HD800 cans.

Other: VPI Aries 3 w/Triplanar tonearm and Dynavector 17D3 cart, CTC Blowtorch, Vendetta Research SCP-2A, 2 MC30's, 3 MC240's, MC275 Mk V, MC275 Mk VI, 2 Bob Carver Black Beauties, EAR 890, EAR 324, Parasound Halo A21, Parasound Halo JC-1 monoblocks, Parasound Halo JC-3, Pioneer SX-1250, Pioneer SX-5590, Pioneer SX-1980, Thiel CS2.4 speakers.

A man's reach should exceed his grasp, else what's there a Heaven for?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:09 PM

Thanks Ritmo and wpascoe for the quick response! Look forward to installling the Triton this weekend!
Old 08-09-2013, 09:19 PM

Was at a dealers and we heard the Ref 150/5se through a Shunyata Cyclops and also a Silver Circle 5se and while the dealer said ARC don't really recommend power conditioners with their gear we both agreed that the Ref150/5se combination sounded significantly better through either of the power conditioners we had there. We were running Anaconda feed cables and Pythons for the amp and pre.

There was no real sense of loss of dynamics through the Shunyata Cyclops and the drop in noise floor, increase of detail, immediacy and flow was really clear. In terms of gains in musicality it was an easy choice.

I have also tried the Triton in comparison with the Cyclops and there was a small sense of diminishing dynamics with the amp (a high current amp) into the Triton in comparison with through the Cyclops (which after all was primarily designed for use with amps) but for the Triton this was outweighed by the gains in music by getting rid of system RFI. So with the Triton it might just depend on the type of amp and whether the system noise floor is high or not and also perhaps whether you value dynamics more than nuance.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant View Post
Was at a dealers and we heard the Ref 150/5se through a Shunyata Cyclops and also a Silver Circle 5se and while the dealer said ARC don't really recommend power conditioners with their gear we both agreed that the Ref150/5se combination sounded significantly better through either of the power conditioners we had there. We were running Anaconda feed cables and Pythons for the amp and pre.

There was no real sense of loss of dynamics through the Shunyata Cyclops and the drop in noise floor, increase of detail, immediacy and flow was really clear. In terms of gains in musicality it was an easy choice.

I have also tried the Triton in comparison with the Cyclops and there was a small sense of diminishing dynamics with the amp (a high current amp) into the Triton in comparison with through the Cyclops (which after all was primarily designed for use with amps) but for the Triton this was outweighed by the gains in music by getting rid of system RFI. So with the Triton it might just depend on the type of amp and whether the system noise floor is high or not and also perhaps whether you value dynamics more than nuance.
+1
Old 08-10-2013, 03:47 AM

Benefit of a line conditioner totally depends on the quality of electricity being supplied and that is different in different locations. The more "dirty" your power supply is the more filtering is required. Ideally supply is pure and feed lines are strong and line conditioning is not required.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:42 AM

Maybe If he is near Caelin Gabriel from Shunyata could comment but my understanding is that most of the RFI that masks your music and makes the system noise floor a bit of a trip hazard is actually generated from within by your own system and the other appliances at home or particularly on the same circuit.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant View Post
Maybe If he is near Caelin Gabriel from Shunyata could comment but my understanding is that most of the RFI that masks your music and makes the system noise floor a bit of a trip hazard is actually generated from within by your own system and the other appliances at home or particularly on the same circuit.
True, especially switching power supplies can be source of noise. How your house is wired and what is the condition of wires, connectors and connections will affect how that noise is transmitted within the house.
Keeping equipment connected to same dedicated line is a good starting point
Old 08-10-2013, 05:10 AM

It's hard to explain to all the kids at home that for the sake of our noise floors they can't have their I-devices or charge their phones with the wallwart smps but something has to be sacrificed after a while they are forced to listen to proper 2 channel music through proper speakers or heaven forbid talk to each other face to face.