AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Revel Speakers

Revel Speakers The Science of Sound

Old 03-15-2011, 03:33 AM

Ritmo, if you use single wire speaker cables with Salon2, Try a special jumpers and you will gain in upper bass, mid, high. I use Transparent
Ref XL jumpers, poor built quality but outstanding sound.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:01 AM

Toga - I prefer single speaker wires with the Salon 2s. I just purchased Shunyata speaker wires and jumpers - still waiting for them to arrive.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-15-2011, 01:49 PM

Ritmo, try jumpers in various config. they all make difference.
I ended up connect red main to upper terminal and link jumper down, but blakc main to lower terminal and use jumper to link up. I hope this will share jumper's characters evenly to every drivers.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:52 PM

This thread's an antique but I'm bumping it because I'm (impatiently) awaiting delivery of my Ultima 2s. I preferred their brand of smooth response and tight control over the mid band and high end. A lifetime of listening to etched and elevated upper mid band energy (ironically, frequently through JBL's/Harman's professional products) has taught me to shy away from such sound. I just don't like peaks/emphasis in the upper mid-band. The Revels deliver smooth response (sound) all the way up in that regard. Never mind the measurements, you can hear that quality right off. They are very smooth operators, easy going and to me, natural sounding.

I don't really select (or at least I'd prefer to think I don't select) speakers based on what they look like but to be frank, I think the Revels look fine. No kidding.....I find many modern speakers look like squared up Daleks to me....and not just the Wilsons.

As lamented, the Revels come only in black or high gloss mahogany but as already discussed, one thing the Wilsons share with Daleks....and it ups the WAF considerably.....is that they come in colors.

BTW, I thought the Alexx demo in Chicago this year was one of the three or four most impressive sounding rooms at the show. Of course, comparing Alexxes (Alexxi?) to Ultima 2s is really not fair to either product. But they did have that etched sound (and very popular it is these days) I thought spoke of a certain level of distortion I felt isn't something I hear in music. To be fair, the Alexx(es) had less of that than a lot of highly vaunted products I heard at the show. No doubt I'd be happy with a pair of them....no doubt at all.

Anyway, the Revel section needed a bump. Happy to provide it!

Last edited by Pampero; 04-28-2016 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:58 AM

Lew, you're still waiting for your Salon's ????

Given when I ordered my Studio 2's (a month ago) and they come from the same whse (which had both them and the Salon's in stock) there's no reason why you should be waiting this long that I can see ?? From the time mine were ordered to arrival was 5 business days.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:04 AM

Hi Dave. They have black in stock, but I'm waiting for mahogany. I have been tempted to get the black. There's another reason why mine are "slow boat." I'll PM you.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:37 AM

I've seen both but I own the mahogany. My wife wouldn't have the black ones in the house. As a rule, she doesn't like mahogany but she loves the Salon 2s. IMO the mahogany are worth waiting for.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggar View Post
I've seen both but I own the mahogany. My wife wouldn't have the black ones in the house. As a rule, she doesn't like mahogany but she loves the Salon 2s. IMO the mahogany are worth waiting for.
So is the piano black. Stunning.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggar View Post
Your wife and my wife will get long famously! She's advised me to be patient....easy for her to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddeophile View Post
So is the piano black. Stunning.
Agreed, no wrong choice here but I've been waiting so long I might as well hold out another couple of weeks.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:14 PM

I'm feeling sorry for you two.........my 'Man Cave' is MY man cave ! ...... LOL !