AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 06-04-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
Getting a better quality outlet is always recommended over the standard grade outlets in the wall. We have tested many commercial grade and audiophile grade outlets over the years. We have found that the Hubbell model 5352 to have superior grip strength and good sound quality.

If you decide to invest in a high end outlet there are some that are more and some less compatible with our proprietary connectors. Generally electrical contacts that are pure copper or a high percentile copper alloy sound best. If you get a plated outlet - do not use a rhodium plated contact with our CopperCONN connectors. Pure unplated brass or copper is fine. Nickel or gold plating is fine. Silver not so much but definitely NOT rhodium.

Of this is just my opinion. (After years of experience and testing)
Hi Caelin,

Could you please elaborate a bit on why Rhodium is a problem with the Copperconn? I have a furutech rhodium plated wall outlet and use it with a sigma nr to my denali. What am i missing out on? Do you advise to change the wall outlet to a gold plated one?

Best, Rob
Old 06-04-2019, 11:25 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob41 View Post
Hi Caelin,

Could you please elaborate a bit on why Rhodium is a problem with the Copperconn? I have a furutech rhodium plated wall outlet and use it with a sigma nr to my denali. What am i missing out on? Do you advise to change the wall outlet to a gold plated one?

Best, Rob
If I were to hazard a guess, there is an interaction between Copperconn and rhodium that is deleterious. It could even be that a chemical reaction between those two metals occurs that degrades the quality of the connection. For example, galvanic corrosion (also called bimetallic corrosion) is an electrochemical process in which one metal corrodes preferentially when it is in electrical contact with another. My guess is that this could happen between rhodium and copper(?)

My recommendation would be to get a Shunyata SR-Z1 outlet.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:05 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Rob41... Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 06-04-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob41 View Post
Hi Caelin,

Best, Rob
As you may know, we make our own brand of connectors and outlets which we call CopperCONN. These connectors were developed to improve the performance of our cables and power conditioners. We did not make them to be in the “connector business”. We consider them an integral part of the performance advantage that our products enjoy in the marketplace.

We have an unlimited ability to make those connectors with any materials that our research indicates would give them a competitive advantage. If making the contacts with rhodium or gold or platinum plating was superior then we would make them with those platings. In our research the best sound quality is obtained from a pure copper contact. However, copper is a soft metal and therefore it can be challenging to make contacts with a high spring stiffness required for use in an outlet or AC connector. Then, copper is prone to corrosion if it doesn’t not have some form of surface protection. This is primarily why contacts were originally plated - to protect the surface from corrosion. We choose to use a flash nickel plating to protect the pure copper base metal. One of the reasons we chose nickel is because the galvanic metal-to-metal response. Look it up on the internet if you want to learn more about that. In the audio world the most common metal to metal surfaces are copper, brass, nickel and gold surfaces. Nickel has the least amount of galvanic potential between all of those metals. So a nickel plated contact has the best chance of having the least reaction to the most common metal surfaces. This is primarily why we use it on our connectors. Second, even if a contact has a gold, silver, rhodium or palladium plating it will ALSO have a sub-plating of nickel. This is commonly done to prevent molecular migration of copper through the plated metal which is usually a few microns thick. So a gold plated contact may actually go through several different layers of galvanic reaction. We think it is better to have just a single layer of protective plating.

And last but not least, rhodium plating just sounds bad (IMO) compared to nickel or gold. But you can do your own testing and decide for yourself.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:58 PM

Caelin... what are your thoughts about Cryogenic treating?
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 06-04-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Caelin... what are your thoughts about Cryogenic treating?
Ten to fifteen years ago cryogenic treatment was not well known as an audiophile treatment. It was developed as a method to improve drill bit longevity in the oil and gas industry. Then, it was a secret treatment employed by engine builders especially in drag racing. And it was used around the same time to improve the strength of certain metal tools. I was involved in competitive road racing and actually cryogenic treated an entire engine - disassembled of course.

As you know, we have our own in-house cryogenic, computer controlled plant. We started using it as a “secret” process to improve the sound quality of certain metal contacts and wires. As time moved along, more and more people became aware of the potential benefits of cryogenic treatments. Some people started using it to treat tubes, whole cables and even entire components. A few years back we just started listing it as just another one of the processes that we use to improve performance. We don’t see it as something that needs to be kept proprietary.

We still use it today, but sparingly. Over the years we learned that cryo treatment is beneficial for metals but can be destructive to certain non-metal materials. It can also degrade the longevity of some insulation materials. This is the case even with the use of an advanced computer controlled lab and careful attention to process control. So we ONLY use it to treat contacts or other metal parts that can be separated from the plastic enclosures and containers. One example is pure polycarbonates. Once treated they become very brittle. Polycarbonate headshells are usually extremely tough but after a cryo treatment just dropping them onto concrete would cause them to literally explode into many shards.

All of our cables now come with a very prominent warning. DO NOT treat our products with cryogenics. Deep immersion cryogenics is especially harmful. So to all you that want to argue about this - this is just my opinion based on many years of personal experience. Do as you wish. Just don’t do it to our cables. It does void your warranty and don’t think for a moment that we don’t recognize the telltale signs that a cable has been put through the process.

As an aside, I know that many people treat tubes with cryo and that you can even buy them treated. My personal experience has been that is does change the sound quality of the tube but in the long run I preferred tubes that were simply burned in naturally. I also found that many of my very expensive tubes would go microphonic more often and quicker when cryo treated. Now this really is JMO and I know other people that have had good results.

So I don’t want to start a war of words here. You asked my opinion and this is just my opinion.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:48 PM

Caelin... I much appreciate your very detailed explanation, and personal experiences.
CAPE COD

Old 06-04-2019, 09:20 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Ten to fifteen years ago cryogenic treatment was not well known as an audiophile treatment. It was developed as a method to improve drill bit longevity in the oil and gas industry. Then, it was a secret treatment employed by engine builders especially in drag racing. And it was used around the same time to improve the strength of certain metal tools. I was involved in competitive road racing and actually cryogenic treated an entire engine - disassembled of course.

As you know, we have our own in-house cryogenic, computer controlled plant. We started using it as a “secret” process to improve the sound quality of certain metal contacts and wires. As time moved along, more and more people became aware of the potential benefits of cryogenic treatments. Some people started using it to treat tubes, whole cables and even entire components. A few years back we just started listing it as just another one of the processes that we use to improve performance. We don’t see it as something that needs to be kept proprietary.

We still use it today, but sparingly. Over the years we learned that cryo treatment is beneficial for metals but can be destructive to certain non-metal materials. It can also degrade the longevity of some insulation materials. This is the case even with the use of an advanced computer controlled lab and careful attention to process control. So we ONLY use it to treat contacts or other metal parts that can be separated from the plastic enclosures and containers. One example is pure polycarbonates. Once treated they become very brittle. Polycarbonate headshells are usually extremely tough but after a cryo treatment just dropping them onto concrete would cause them to literally explode into many shards.

All of our cables now come with a very prominent warning. DO NOT treat our products with cryogenics. Deep immersion cryogenics is especially harmful. So to all you that want to argue about this - this is just my opinion based on many years of personal experience. Do as you wish. Just don’t do it to our cables. It does void your warranty and don’t think for a moment that we don’t recognize the telltale signs that a cable has been put through the process.

As an aside, I know that many people treat tubes with cryo and that you can even buy them treated. My personal experience has been that is does change the sound quality of the tube but in the long run I preferred tubes that were simply burned in naturally. I also found that many of my very expensive tubes would go microphonic more often and quicker when cryo treated. Now this really is JMO and I know other people that have had good results.

So I don’t want to start a war of words here. You asked my opinion and this is just my opinion.
My understanding and experience with cryogenically treating certain materials mirrors Caelin's experience. As a former motorcycle roadracer, I was aware of guys who were treating things like con-rods to strengthen them, particularly con-rods for big twins, where the mass of large-bore pistons impacts con-rod tensile strength, particularly at higher RPM, where piston-speed becomes a real failure mode due to con-rod stretch.

I've also had some tubes that were cryogenically treated, but I also gave up on them, both for the microphonics issues that Caelin has cited, but it also made some rather sweet-sounding tubes, e.g., certain 12AU7s, 6922s, etc., rather "hard-sounding" and quite "uncomfortable" to listen to.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:46 AM

So, now I have to throw out all my Rhodium plugs... [emoji33]
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 06-05-2019, 08:28 AM

Thank you Caelin for your detailed response.

Best, Rob

Quote:
As you may know, we make our own brand of connectors and outlets which we call CopperCONN. These connectors were developed to improve the performance of our cables and power conditioners. We did not make them to be in the “connector business”. We consider them an integral part of the performance advantage that our products enjoy in the marketplace.

We have an unlimited ability to make those connectors with any materials that our research indicates would give them a competitive advantage. If making the contacts with rhodium or gold or platinum plating was superior then we would make them with those platings. In our research the best sound quality is obtained from a pure copper contact. However, copper is a soft metal and therefore it can be challenging to make contacts with a high spring stiffness required for use in an outlet or AC connector. Then, copper is prone to corrosion if it doesn’t not have some form of surface protection. This is primarily why contacts were originally plated - to protect the surface from corrosion. We choose to use a flash nickel plating to protect the pure copper base metal. One of the reasons we chose nickel is because the galvanic metal-to-metal response. Look it up on the internet if you want to learn more about that. In the audio world the most common metal to metal surfaces are copper, brass, nickel and gold surfaces. Nickel has the least amount of galvanic potential between all of those metals. So a nickel plated contact has the best chance of having the least reaction to the most common metal surfaces. This is primarily why we use it on our connectors. Second, even if a contact has a gold, silver, rhodium or palladium plating it will ALSO have a sub-plating of nickel. This is commonly done to prevent molecular migration of copper through the plated metal which is usually a few microns thick. So a gold plated contact may actually go through several different layers of galvanic reaction. We think it is better to have just a single layer of protective plating.

And last but not least, rhodium plating just sounds bad (IMO) compared to nickel or gold. But you can do your own testing and decide for yourself.