AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 03-24-2015, 03:52 AM

Default SME 20/3a

I'm thinking about upgrading my Roksan Radius 5.2 to this one. What is the general opinion on this table? Can I get better for the money in Europe?
Thanks
António
Old 03-24-2015, 04:39 AM

Forget to mention my system:
Phono is a Pliniu Koru
Cartridge is a Denon 304l but am thinking about upgrading to Lyra etna
Amp is an Ayre AX5 but am thinking about upgrading to twenty status or to a Hegel p30/h30 combo
Speakers are SF Guarneri EVO connected with Transparent Ultra Gen5
Old 03-24-2015, 11:12 AM

IMO, SME is still one of the finest table and arm makers. While not as sexy as some more recent designs, they provide excellent performance. The 20 is only bettered by the 30. My 20/2 was purchased used and thus is a superb value.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:37 AM

My 20/3 is a well built table. I do think the SME's may be a bit darker than some other tables, so it depends on what your are looking for in a table.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:39 PM

The SME 20/2 with SME V arm I've listen to on many occasions & really like it. Yes, it can sound 'dark' & yes, its not a 'sexy' as some tables- but its a rock solid performer & would suit your system.

Haven't listened to the Etna, however Im a Lyra cartridge fan (use a Lyra Argoi). Lyra 'house sound' is on the 'lively' end of the spectrum (as against Koetsu's which tend to be warn & lush- I used a Koetsu Black Signature for 12 years!) so would be a good match for the SME's IMHO.

)
Old 03-25-2015, 05:31 PM

Thanks!
In the meantime while shopping for a 20/3 a dealer offer me a killer deal on the 30/2. I understand it is a considerable upgrade, maybe too much for how much vinyl I listen and the equipment I have, but it would probably be a table for life. Decisions, decisions...
Old 03-25-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pessoa00 View Post
Thanks! In the meantime while shopping for a 20/3 a dealer offer me a killer deal on the 30/2. I understand it is a considerable upgrade, maybe too much for how much vinyl I listen and the equipment I have, but it would probably be a table for life. Decisions, decisions...
I'll be selling my 30/12 with V12 arm in the next 30 days. Waiting on its replacement.
I'll post it when I'm ready. Gonna be hard to part with it.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:16 AM

May I ask to which model you are upgrading and what was missing on your table that led you to the upgrade? I though there would be much where to go after the 30/12
Thanks
Old 03-26-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pessoa00 View Post
May I ask to which model you are upgrading and what was missing on your table that led you to the upgrade? I though there would be much where to go after the 30/12 Thanks
The 30/12 doesn't lack for anything, it's a table for a lifetime as far as I'm concerned. But, I've been fascinated by the new TechDAS tables since the Air Force 1 came out a couple of years ago. I really want the vacuum hold down provided by the TechDAS tables and the opportunity to get an Air Force 2 came up so I'm taking the plunge. I've been told by some that the Air Force 2 will outperform the 30/12 but I plan to hold on to the SME table until I've confirmed that myself.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank750 View Post
The 30/12 doesn't lack for anything, it's a table for a lifetime as far as I'm concerned. But, I've been fascinated by the new TechDAS tables since the Air Force 1 came out a couple of years ago. I really want the vacuum hold down provided by the TechDAS tables and the opportunity to get an Air Force 2 came up so I'm taking the plunge. I've been told by some that the Air Force 2 will outperform the 30/12 but I plan to hold on to the SME table until I've confirmed that myself.
The SME 30/12 and TechDas AF2 will be a very interesting comparison. Tables and arms will be different, but you should try to use the same cartridge and cable. I look very forward to reading your results once you've had both in the system for a while.