AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners Voltage regulation to AC Regeneration

Old 09-02-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post
Is that according to code?

I thought 30 amp breakers required at least 10 gauge wire and a special NEMA outlet receptacle.
Awesome spot and advice
10ga. for me

Thanks guys!
Old 09-02-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzr View Post
This is something I thought about replying with before but didn't want to come across as a smart-ass so didn't. Once again I've read your thread Don & the same thought has crossed my mind with no variant on aforementioned comments, just a thought. Has your listening room/area been treated for sound? The thought process behind this is simply we try to cover all bases but at what point are we at & is it to suffice?
Speak freely. Especially since I'm not sure what your getting at (still on first cup O' coffee)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles View Post
Speak freely. Especially since I'm not sure what your getting at (still on first cup O' coffee)
Have you treated the room with sound taming/enhancing materials. Traps, panels etc. The reason I ask is with a dedicated line it is obvious that you are chasing a better/refined sound & a lot of people overlook the benefits of a room properly treated.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzr View Post
Have you treated the room with sound taming/enhancing materials. Traps, panels etc. The reason I ask is with a dedicated line it is obvious that you are chasing a better/refined sound & a lot of people overlook the benefits of a room properly treated.
No, but I'm just getting started on finishing the room and wanted to do anything that required cutting and patching sheetrock done first. And since I wanted/needed other electrical work done I could sneak this in without the wife being to nosy As for acoustical treatments, those will not be overlooked
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzr

+1...

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 09-05-2012, 09:30 PM

Unless you are absolutely locked into where you plan to place speakers and electronics, it might make sense to evaluate the room/acoustics/equipment lay-out and the electrical routing together; in other words, a different placement for acoustic reasons might dictate where you put the outlets. Just sayin....
I'm doing the conceptual planning for the next room and i don't even own the property where it will go, but things like: power, quiet AC, acoustic design, lighting, and enough 'wiggle room' to reposition stuff once the walls and floor are finished. I will rely on some outside expertise to do this. But, you can scale all that back. Part of it is the thinking process in the design and layout before you start. For example, a couple extra outlets now, in another likely place where they might come in handy. Are you using power conditioning? Multiple units? Isolation transformer? How do those play into where the outlets will go and how you hook up your equipment?
I picked the brains of a few people that have done balls-out dedicated rooms from the ground up. I may work with an existing space and refurbish it, e.g. an outbuilding or garage, but it's worth thinking through before you finish the sheet rock/floors, whatever. Of course, if you are doing this in living space, you have some pluses and minuses. For example, if it is not a basement, you could cheat and run some stuff along the basement celing and come up through the floor. I saw one rig where the guy's power was hardwired to the equipment and the cable ran through the floors to the basement where he presumably had a panel.
I've also found that electricians usually have no clue, whether on which phase or polarity to the receptacle, grounding, etc. Even some of the acoustic design firms I've talked to - and these are guys that have done studios, concert halls, etc. have to tell the electrical contractors what to do. Or you could hire J Dandy, who seems to know his stuff.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whart View Post
I've also found that electricians usually have no clue, whether on which phase or polarity to the receptacle, grounding, etc. Even some of the acoustic design firms I've talked to - and these are guys that have done studios, concert halls, etc. have to tell the electrical contractors what to do. Or you could hire J Dandy, who seems to know his stuff.
Bill.......That was cool. Thanks for the plug (no pun intended).

You learn a little after 30 years in the commercial and heavy industrial side of the electrical contracting business. One of the projects I am most proud of is the Bethune-Cookman Performing Arts Center, a 2500 seat auditorium in Daytona Beach, Florida. It was a two year project that took an incredible amount of talent from many people to complete. I was responsible for the entire electrical package that included all power distribution, emergency power generation, lighting, stage lighting and dimming system, raceway systems for all microphone and sound equipment, intercom, telephone, and the complete fire alarm, security and camera systems. We took it from an empty full square city block, and in two years created an amazing Performing Arts Center. During the dedication ceremonies, it was thrilling for me and several of my key people to sit inside and watch the presentation put on by the college, knowing we had a big hand in everything that was taking place inside the building. I got a lot of joy from seeing 2500 seats full of people enjoying themselves in a building that two years earlier had not existed. The first concert at BCC Performing Arts Center was BB King, and more recently President Obama gave a speech to the University from the stage.

Here's a few photos taken from the stage before the auditorium was totally finished. Carpet wasn't complete on walkways and steps. Still, you can get a feel for the inside of the place.

. . . .

. .

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 09-06-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:48 PM

doing the same thing next week.
Will be having an electrician install two 20amp dedicated lines to two separate ps audio outlets. Does anyone know if the ps audio outlets can handle/fit 10 gauge wire or is 12 gauge the way to go for them?
It is a short run (20 feet) from basement panel along unfinished basement ceiling and up through living room floor.
Also, some talk here about having circuits on the same phase. I have several blank spaces on the panel vertically. If I put one line on one blank and then the second on another blank Two spaces down vertically, is it on the same phase? Or do the two new ones need to be strictly Across spaces horizontally from each other?
Sorry for the non-electrical terms. That's why I'm asking
Thanks
Chris
Old 09-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Chris.......Two spaces down on the same side of the panel will keep you on the same phase. In other words, breaker - space - breaker.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 09-05-2012, 10:53 PM

It looks fabulous, Dan. I might have you come help me, but you are not licensed in Texas, so we'd still need a local guy for code. Then again, I'm not planning on a room quite that size, so I don't know if you even bother with small projects. One of the things I'd like to do is to install an Equi=Tech wall unit I bought, which is in storage not far from Tx. The balanced power thing is a bit tricky in a residential setting. I already talked to the inspector in Austin about it, and he didn't seem bugged out by what i was proposing. And, my plan at this point is to do it in a separate building from the main living quarters, so I have control over the shape of the room, the power, the air conditioning (I hate hearing the air conditioning and I'm gonna really need in in Tx), etc.
My suspicion, having done some fairly significant work (translated into I wrote the checks and other people did the work) on the house we are currently in, in NY, is that you can do it right without spending an absolute fortune. So much is the planning and thoughtful design. Yes, high quality materials can be costly, but I'm gonna try to bring this in on a budget. We shall see.

Last edited by Whart; 09-05-2012 at 10:56 PM.