AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 05-27-2019, 06:42 AM

I have the Krell Phantom double chassis preamp and it is amazing.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:15 PM

According to my friend at Krell there is no real difference between the 202 and the Phantom except for a couple of small changes in the power supply. There is little or no difference in sound according to him. The new Illusion is the same except for the cosmetics.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:25 PM

Very reassuring thread - thanks
I bought my Krell Evo 202 many years ago and never felt the the need to change even though all the rest of the kit has been - but I have wondered. I'll stick with it
Old 12-28-2023, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeau View Post
Very reassuring thread - thanks
I bought my Krell Evo 202 many years ago and never felt the the need to change even though all the rest of the kit has been - but I have wondered. I'll stick with it

Long time no see... in this thread that is.

I started this thread due to my interest in newer Krell models. I used Krell KAV 300i in the end of the 90'es. I loved it and compared it to a lot of other brands but nothing was better i thougt. When I had the posibilities to use poweramps and pre- I bought evo 402 and 202 as a start. Never was 100% comfartable with evo 402 as I thougt was a bit to clean an gray in the sound. Therefore Gryphon were better during that time. But I look back in time and compared manyu differnt brands also with alder units. I liked FPB and KCT even better. I still own evo 202 and also KCR-HR but du to my taste and testing krell FPB and KCT Preamp is the best Krell ever made.
Therefor I decided to build up my system with these parts.
I us Tri-amping: Krell 400cx, Krell 350mcx (monos) and 400mcx (monos). Krell Cast from preamp-KCT to monoamp 350 and 450, Nordost Valhalla XLR to stereoamp 400cx.
This suits my system very well I think.

With small modifications (extra subwoffer etc), this is how it looks today.

I moved 400cx into the rack and you can se the subwoofer at the left.

From the sweet spot.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below you can read and look at pictures from some years ago.

For quite some time I'v been looking for some Krell amps. I like the idea of Bi-Amping my The Sonus faber. I like the sound of Krell FPB very much. The problem is that they have not being produced for a long time, for around 15 years.
So, I have to search for used units. It's not that easy. A lot of things have to fit into my demands. Safe by in any aspects, units in good conditions, it should be one of my FPB candidates models that I think suits my system and so on.

At first I thought a pair of 350mc or 450mcx were the only options. But I found a 400cx in very good condition. I tried it and was impressed. I tried it solo so that I could hear what it really performed. It was very close to my 350mc. It's the same amplification as 350mc apart from that 400cx has got more watt-power but a transformer that supports both right and left channel. I think most people would be impressed actually. At least my friends that were helping me evaluate it.

Now the plan is to use 400cx for my 15`woofers, 18-80Hz and 350mc 80-30.000(+) Hz.
I have to try this more careful but I think 350mc is better from mid-bas and up, a bit more transparency, air, and holographic depth. And 400cx has got more power for the lower end.

I'v got three more questiens to answer.
Preamp, speaker cables and interconnection.

Preamp: At the first I had 2 preamps. Krell KCR-HR and Krell evo202. Both re good but KRC-HR is more fun. Krell evo 202 has the Cast connection to the FPB amps.

KCR-HR lack the possibility to biamp... but Nordost can build a special cable with a split so that I can use biamping. I bit complicated I think.
Why not try Krell KCT preamp I thought? Ok, found a used one in good condition and tried it.

It's actually a god mix of KCR-HR and Evo202. Still fun to listen to with very good bas ability and at the same time more open than KCR-HR from lower mid to treble. It's also more transparent. It lacks a bit power in the mid bas compared to KCR-HR but it's still enough to hit you hard in the chest. It's over all more open and voices are a bit more pronounced.
I like it and it also has CAST and ability to Bi-Amp The Sf.

I'm not done jet. I have to make another round with Evo202 and KCT. But so far KCT is the candidate on top.

I just want to point out that these three preamps are good and I could live happy for all my life with each of them, but since I think it's fun to really figure this out I will consider every aspect of the sound the way I like it.
To try them side by side is really interesting.

My speaker kan use three speakercables. Deep low (18-80hz), low and Mid-Hi conections.

Speakercable: I have to think about this. I use Nordost overall in my system. Of course Nordost Odin would be the best option, no doubt about it. The Odin I'v got has to run the low and mid-hi and I thinking of another cable to deep low. I will try different cables with good low frequency ability. We will see how this turns out.

Interconnections: I decided to go with the Cast option and try to find Nordost Cast cable that is slightly better then Krell Cast cables. I'v got some Nordost Cast from earlier days but they are a bit short.

Three generations Krell remote:

Last edited by Apexorca; 12-28-2023 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-28-2023, 05:51 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Are those two piano strings properly tuned?

BTW; I have a cable stretcher you can borrow…

“Holiday Humor” of course.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 12-28-2023, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post

Are those two piano strings properly tuned?

BTW; I have a cable stretcher you can borrow…

“Holiday Humor” of course.
Yeah, send them over.

Sometimes you have to push the limits to achieve results. When there are no strings attached it's to much. Until then, I strech and tune.
Old 12-29-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexorca View Post
Long time no see... in this thread that is.

I started this thread due to my interest in newer Krell models. I used Krell KAV 300i in the end of the 90'es. I loved it and compared it to a lot of other brands but nothing was better i thougt. When I had the posibilities to use poweramps and pre- I bought evo 402 and 202 as a start. Never was 100% comfartable with evo 402 as I thougt was a bit to clean an gray in the sound. Therefore Gryphon were better during that time. But I look back in time and compared manyu differnt brands also with alder units. I liked FPB and KCT even better. I still own evo 202 and also KCR-HR but du to my taste and testing krell FPB and KCT Preamp is the best Krell ever made.
Therefor I decided to build up my system with these parts.
I us Tri-amping: Krell 400cx, Krell 350mcx (monos) and 400mcx (monos). Krell Cast from preamp-KCT to monoamp 350 and 450, Nordost Valhalla XLR to stereoamp 400cx.
This suits my system very well I think.

With small modifications (extra subwoffer etc), this is how it looks today.

I moved 400cx into the rack and you can se the subwoofer at the left.

From the sweet spot.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below you can read about how i tried 3 different Krell pre-amps and look at pictures from some years ago.

For quite some time I'v been looking for some Krell amps. I like the idea of Bi-Amping my The Sonus faber. I like the sound of Krell FPB very much. The problem is that they have not being produced for a long time, for around 15 years.
So, I have to search for used units. It's not that easy. A lot of things have to fit into my demands. Safe purchase in any aspects, units in good conditions, it should be one of my FPB candidates models that I think suits my system and so on.

At first I thought a pair of 350mc or 450mcx were the only options. But I found a 400cx in very good condition. I tried it and was impressed. I tried it solo so that I could hear what it really performed. It was very close to my 350mc. It's the same amplification 350mc apart from that 400cx has got more watt-power but only one transformer that supports both right and left channel. I think most people would be impressed actually. At least my friends that were helping me evaluate it.

Now the plan is to use 400cx for my 15`woofers, 18-80Hz and 350mc 80-30.000(+) Hz.
I have to try this more careful but I think 350mc is better from mid-bas and up, a bit more transparency, air, and holographic depth. And 400cx has got more power for the lower end.

I'v got three more questiens to answer.
Preamp, speaker cables and interconnection.

Preamp: At the first I had 2 preamps. Krell KCR-HR and Krell evo202. Both re good but KRC-HR is more fun. Krell evo 202 has the Cast connection to the FPB amps.

KCR-HR lack the possibility to biamp... but Nordost can build a special cable with a split so that I can use biamping. It's bit complicated I think.
Why not try Krell KCT preamp I thought? Ok, found a used one in good condition and tried it.

It's actually a god mix of KCR-HR and Evo202. Still fun to listen to with very good bas ability and at the same time more open than KCR-HR from lower mid to treble. It's also more transparent. It lacks a bit power in the mid bas compared to KCR-HR but it's still enough to hit you hard in the chest. It's over all more open and voices are a bit more pronounced.
I like it and it also has CAST and ability to Bi-Amp The Sf.

I'm not done jet. I have to make another round with Evo202 and KCT. But so far KCT is the candidate on top.

I just want to point out that these three preamps are good and I could live happy for all my life with each of them, but since I think it's fun to really figure this out I will consider every aspect of the sound the way I like it.
To try them side by side is really interesting.

My speaker kan use three speakercables. Deep low (18-80hz), low and Mid-Hi conections.

Speakercable: I have to think about this. I use Nordost overall in my system. Of course Nordost Odin would be the best option, no doubt about it. The Odin I'v got has to run the low and mid-hi and I thinking of another cable to deep low. I will try different cables with good low frequency ability. We will see how this turns out.

Interconnections: I decided to go with the Cast option and try to find Nordost Cast cable that is slightly better then Krell Cast cables. I'v got some Nordost Cast from earlier days but they are a bit short.

Three generations Krell remote:

Old 02-12-2024, 02:49 PM

Carl, I somehow missed this. The photos and your comments are very interesting. Your gear is beautiful. These vintage pieces designed by Mr. D'Agostino are very beautiful and the best sonically. I enjoy your photography very much. If you see this post look at the Mac Forum. I am making a huge purchase of Mac gear.

Best

Charles
New gear on order: MC2.1KW Anniversary power amplifier; C12000 An preamplifier; MCD12000 An SACD/CD player; AQ 1 meter Dragon balanced IC; 2 meter AQ Hurricane HC power cord; 3 meter AQ Hurricane Source power cord; unspecified 3 meter AQ digital coaxial IC and power cord for my backup MVP851 DVD player given as a surprise gift to me by my dealer
Most recent updates: Latest is the last one posted: AQ Diamond USB replaces AQ Coffee; Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx replaced by Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; new subwoofer crossover; new Galaxy Grey Thors Hammer; Wilson Pedestals; heating and cooling completely reworked and reinsulated resulting in a much quieter, cooler, and more efficient room (cost about 10,000.00). McIntosh MCT 500 SACD/CD transport; Wilson Audio Acoustic Diode for XVX Chronosonic; WEL Signature digital Coaxial cable for MVP 881/D1100 digital connection replacing the optical connection; New plinth for Thor subwoofer made of X material with the Wilson Acoustic Diodes; Thor is now off my floor; MC3500MKII mono block amps (2) and two custom granite slabs; Wilson ActivXO Stereo Electronic Crossover; new 75-ohm multi-directional FM antenna for tuner; total of eight additional Wilson Audio Heavy (red) pedestals placed under the MC3500MKII mono blocks; JRiver Media Center 31
Amps: McIntosh MC3500MKII mono blocks (2), McIntosh MC1.25KW’s (3). All amps set on floor on custom made granite slabs
Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCT500 SACD/CD Transport, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 31)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; custom made Wilson Acoustic Diodes
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie; custom plinth of X material with Wilson Acoustic Diode feet; Wilson ActivXO Stereo Electronic Crossover
Cables main system: Audioquest WEL Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); WEL Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; WEL Signature digital coaxial cable for MVP 881/D1100 digital connection; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for MVP 851 DVD player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Audioquest Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for MR87 tuner
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from ActivXO crossover to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to ActivXO; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Isolation: Wilson Pedestals for D1100; MVP881 BR player; MCT500 transport; Wilson Audio ActivXO electronic subwoofer crossover; plinth for Thor subwoofer made of X material with the Wilson Acoustic Diodes; eight Wilson Audio Heavy (red) Pedestals placed under the MC3500MKII mono blocks (four placed under the rails of each amp)
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.