AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Pass Labs

Pass Labs 20 Years and Counting

Old 01-11-2013, 10:30 PM

Congrats Martin!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:37 AM

Thanks! Amp will be here on Monday...
Before I make the commitment to the x250.5, have any of you compared it with the x350.5? I would be very interested in any impressions/opinions.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:35 PM

I heard them BRIEFLY (I was pretty convinced the XA series was for me, but I wanted to at least remain open minded). I really liked both the X250.5 and 350.5. I thought the bass was a pinch better on the 350.5, but honestly it was close. I thought the 350.5 had better dynamics and little wider soundstage.

For me, it came down to xa160.5, xa200.5 and x1000.5. I was oh so tempted to go for the x1000.5....but I felt the xa160.5 was a perfect match for my Sonus Faber speakers. It sounded so balanced from top to bottom.

Don't fret - the x250.5 is outstanding - Nelson Pass is a genius!

Mike
Old 01-15-2013, 01:02 PM

The x250.5 came in yesterday and it's a heavy beast...the x350.5 must be impossible to handle without help as it's almost twice as heavy. I know it's not fully broken in yet, but I let it warm up for a couple of hours and listened for a bit. First impressions: incredible dynamics and detail, soundstage is huge with multiple layers. The base is just out of this world...tight but with texture and not just impact. On the down side, there's a bit of an edge right now, which I hope will smooth out with break in. The midrange is a bit more recessed than I like, but I may just have to tweak speaker placement. Any thoughts on what I can expect from breakin would be appreciated.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:15 PM

I wouldn't move the speakers until the amp has played for a week or so. The edge you mention will go away and the mid range will be perfect. You have to be a little patient. Your soundstage will also improve.

Last edited by Frank750; 01-15-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkinman View Post
The x250.5 came in yesterday and it's a heavy beast...the x350.5 must be impossible to handle without help as it's almost twice as heavy. I know it's not fully broken in yet, but I let it warm up for a couple of hours and listened for a bit. First impressions: incredible dynamics and detail, soundstage is huge with multiple layers. The base is just out of this world...tight but with texture and not just impact. On the down side, there's a bit of an edge right now, which I hope will smooth out with break in. The midrange is a bit more recessed than I like, but I may just have to tweak speaker placement. Any thoughts on what I can expect from breakin would be appreciated.
Congratulations on your new amps! I'm glad you like them. The edge will definitely subside after about 200 hours. Just be patient and keep playing them. The first 200 hours are a bit of a roller coaster ride. You may see a bit of an affect on bass (good, then not so good, then good, then...) as you go through the first 200 hours. If you have a way to play them for 2-8 hours, then off for 2-8 hours, then on for 2-8 hours....you will allow everything to heat up, cool down, heat up, cool down. I believe this helps with the break in of all gear (not just amps).

Congrats again and keep us posted on your progress. Your patience during the break in period WILL be rewarded!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:04 PM

Rocks for sure
Old 01-16-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkinman View Post
Rocks for sure
We're gonna' need a better review than that!!!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:47 PM

In one word...bass. I didn't know my speakers were capable of chest thumping bass, but this amp has brought that out...rock solid and focused. I would say it's overall sound is well controlled and balanced for sure. More detail than I'm used to...my resident amp right now is an MC207. There is definitely a tradeoff though. The Mac definitely has a smoother, more natural presentation. The sound just has an ease about it...doesn't seem forced but just flows. I would say the Mac is just a tad more emotionally involving. I need to do lots more listening before I make a decision...the left side of my brain vs my right. Maybe I will have to keep both

Last edited by merkinman; 01-16-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:51 PM

Merkinman - just give it time to break in. The amp needs 200+ hours to smooth out. Your Mac is likely well broken in. Right? Just keep listening my friend. You will be pleasantly surprised after 200+ hours.

Mike