AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Harbeth Speakers

Harbeth Speakers World's best loved loudspeakers

Old 05-04-2019, 02:59 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
Thanks. This was my mom’s house and she curated her home to be minimalist and elegant which made her feel calm and comfortable. Most everything is white and she added dark hardwood a few years back which added a nice contrast. The house is near the water and it has a beachy vibe.
She’d have gone nuts at the thought of a stereo in the house. But I thought the Marantz champagne gear would be as unobtrusive and keeping with the feel of her home. Luxman silver was the other option but I really wanted to try the Marantz SA-10 with its unique design.
It looks very nice. You did a good job with the photo, too. There's a little extension distortion at the sides of the photo from the wide-angle lens, but overall it looks very nice.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
It looks very nice. You did a good job with the photo, too. There's a little extension distortion at the sides of the photo from the wide-angle lens, but overall it looks very nice.
Ha, all the credit goes to the iPhone.
I was sitting underneath a table with my hands above the table bent and stretched back to get everything in the shot as I looked up at the screen through the glass table top and tried to keep my hands out of the shot!

Here’s the original with the glass tabletop at the bottom:

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 05-04-2019, 04:26 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Ha, all the credit goes to the iPhone.
I was sitting underneath a table with my hands above the table bent and stretched back to get everything in the shot as I looked up at the screen through the glass table top and tried to keep my hands out of the shot!

Here’s the original with the glass tabletop at the bottom:
Well, you did pretty good, all things considered.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:42 PM

Harb's!!

Old 05-05-2019, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeAllan70 View Post

Harb's!!

They are!

I got home at around 9:30pm from a family function, expecting to go to bed because I was exhausted. I was falling asleep all afternoon.

I’m still up, almost 4 hours later, putting in one disc after another, mesmerized by details and clarity in each recording I listen to. And that low end. It’s something else. It’s enabling enjoyment of recordings in a deeper way. And the speakers fill the room with sound - not just the listening seat but 15 feet to the left and right of the speakers sounds great. These are going to be played non stop when I’m here.

And I’m sure there’s room for improvement with some alternate cable choices and overall system run in as it’s virtually brand new, speaker cables included. The speakers were demos but I don’t know how often they were played.

It’s been making music for almost 24 hours straight because I left it on last night as well as today, while I was out. I’ll give it a rest tonight.

As it stands, this is the sound and presentation I was aiming for with this system so I’m thrilled. In fact, my expectations are exceeded.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

Last edited by rnrmf1971; 05-05-2019 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:53 AM
McKlipschead

Default Harbeth Is Not Suited For Rock Music: Fact Or Fiction?

Quote:
They are!

I got home at around 9:30pm from a family function, expecting to go to bed because I was exhausted. I was falling asleep all afternoon.

I’m still up, almost 4 hours later, putting in one disc after another, mesmerized by details and clarity in each recording I listen to. And that low end. It’s something else. It’s enabling enjoyment of recordings in a deeper way. And the speakers fill the room with sound - not just the listening seat but 15 feet to the left and right of the speakers sounds great. These are going to be played non stop when I’m here.

And I’m sure there’s room for improvement with some alternate cable choices and overall system run in as it’s virtually brand new, speaker cables included. The speakers were demos but I don’t know how often they were played.

It’s been making music for almost 24 hours straight because I left it on last night as well as today, while I was out. I’ll give it a rest tonight.

As it stands, this is the sound and presentation I was aiming for with this system so I’m thrilled. In fact, my expectations are exceeded.

Big Congrats! I know your expectations were extremely high, so to find out those expectations have been exceeded right out of the box means you’ve really found your sound this time around. As a satisfied owner of two PM-10S1’s, an SA-10S1, an SA-KI-Ruby and other Marantz Reference gear, your choice of big Harbeths inspired me to order a pair of 40th Anniversary Edition Harbeth 30.2 speakers on Saturday for my other PM-10S1 amp. They will share time in rotation with Klipsch Cornwall III speakers, sort of at opposite ends of the spectrum. Looking forward to more diversity in system sound and genres of music.

Last edited by bradleyc; 05-05-2019 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyc View Post
Big Congrats! I know your expectations were extremely high, so to find out those expectations have been exceeded right out of the box means you’ve really found your sound this time around. As a satisfied owner of two PM-10S1’s, an SA-10S1, an SA-KI-Ruby and other Marantz Reference gear, your choice of big Harbeths inspired me to order a pair of 40th Anniversary Edition Harbeth 30.2 speakers on Saturday for my other PM-10S1 amp. They will share time in rotation with Klipsch Cornwall III speakers, sort of at opposite ends of the spectrum. Looking forward to more diversity in system sound and genres of music.
Congratulations on the 30.2 Anniversary speakers!
I hope you love them as much as I love these. They are getting along very well with the Marantz gear.

I've been playing a mix of various rock and jazz music and I haven't identified any that this system doesn't reproduce with aplomb.
It's revealing enough that I can identify the deficiencies of some of the early Barry Diament Led Zeppelin cd masters in ways I haven't noticed, before, too.
Conversely, everything sounds great and checks all the boxes that I want checked - dynamics, detail, warmth, natural sounding, realistic bass, etc...

Two nights ago, when it was about 1 am and I turned it all on and put in the first disc, I was sitting on the floor about 4-5 feet away, and closer to the right speaker. I used the remote to hit play, the music started playing and I could tell right away this system was something special because despite my physical location on the floor, closer to that speaker, the music seemed free of the speakers. I didn't hear it coming out of that right speaker but instead the soundstage was in the air around and between the speakers.

I'm glad I got the Tiger Ebony color from the dealer because I don't see it listed on Harbeth's site as an option, anymore. I like a number of other finishes, especially the Anniversary ones, but this was first choice for this set up.

What Anniversary finish were you able to get and how long will you have to count the days 'til they arrive?

Old 05-05-2019, 04:27 PM
McKlipschead

Default Harbeth Is Not Suited For Rock Music: Fact Or Fiction?

Not sure how rare they are, but all that was available were some white eucalyptus pairs, and one pair of walnut. I pounced on the walnut, which is one of my favorites thanks for asking. Hoping for less wait this time around, the P3ESR Anniversaries are finally tracking for Monday delivery.

Last edited by bradleyc; 05-05-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:32 PM
McKlipschead

My new Harbeth order changed today, delivery date will be mid-June. Was able to change 30.2 order to Super HL5Plus Walnut Anniversary Edition. At 37 lbs. per speaker, they are as big and heavy as I can deal with rotating them in and out of multiple systems
Old 05-08-2019, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyc View Post
My new Harbeth order changed today, delivery date will be mid-June. Was able to change 30.2 order to Super HL5Plus Walnut Anniversary Edition. At 37 lbs. per speaker, they are as big and heavy as I can deal with rotating them in and out of multiple systems
So no P3ESR until June?

Interesting choice on the Super HL5 Plus. Did the extra super tweeter play into your decision?