AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 10-02-2017, 09:47 AM

I run a set of Giya G1 spirits in 24 x 18 room , tons of space to spare for those huge speakers or any other
in a big room , you have the space and leeway to position your listening chair out of any bass peaks or suckouts
Old 10-02-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
Will have to disagree.

If the room size matters little, then I would like to see proper integration of the D3 at an 8ft listening distance.

In addition, room modes are a function of room dimensions, rather than speaker positioning. You cannot escape that.
True but room modes are also a function of scale. A small room that scales proportionally to a large room will have the same modes.

At 8' you may be faced with the issue of time alignment. The first-order crossover would be indicative of this and you might be able to rake the speaker to compensate. Regardless this plagues both the 800D3 and the 802D3 in equal aplomb. However, your chief complaint was bass. Unfortunately, no bass trap on the planet will control the low (lowest) frequencies.

It's been a while since I have seen any photos of your room but if I recall you were running wall to wall carpeting, no? What you need to do is dissipate that energy into hard surfaces, chief among them would be your floor.

Whether you agree or not doesn't change the fact, room size matters little.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
All true but, imho, not the issue to which you are responding.

The room size does make a big acoustical difference but speaker size does not as long as it fits in without occupying all the space. The speaker is a source of mechanical air-borne energy and releasing that energy from a 6" driver or a 10" driver is of little consequence. Really big boxes, of course, take up significant volume and, in a really small room, make it even smaller but that would be in extreme cases.
agreed - especially between the 2 speakers mentioned - very similar in overall size and both 3 way point source speakers
Old 10-03-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trponhunter View Post
agreed
So does Kal. .

We are simply standing on opposing ends of the same bridge.

Kal states that...
Quote:
The room size does make a big acoustical difference...
(Well that goes for any sized room.) However, he qualifies that by also saying...
Quote:
... but speaker size does not as long as it fits in without occupying all the space.
On the other hand, I state that...
Quote:
... the size of the room matters little.
(Well that is with respect to the size of the speaker.) I qualify that by saying...
Quote:
... small speakers in a large room or large speakers in a small room...
...is successfully doable.

Kal further states that the energy released by the size of the driver is inconsequential which again buttresses the statement that I made regarding driver sizes.

The posts in this thread could lead the reader to conclude that a large speaker requires a large room to perform well which just is not true and that is the point I wanted to make clear.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:11 PM

What I am trying to say is that a large room would afford more options in positioning a speaker to optimize it's sound. It's not that the 800d3 sounded bad in my room, it's that I preferred the sound of the 802d3 as it excited certain nodes less and had a less in your face sound that the 800d3 managed to produce as it was cleaner from the low midrange and up.

The 800d3 and 802d3 are not merely same speakers plus the bass... That's a misconception. Thus they are not to be positioned in the same spot as each other in a room.

That's the misunderstanding here.

I'm the one who had both speakers in the same room, I'm the one who had the 802d3 for a year prior to the 800d3.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelMan View Post

The posts in this thread could lead the reader to conclude that a large speaker requires a large room to perform well which just is not true and that is the point I wanted to make clear.
be careful for in a general 'sense' you are wrong........example, electro static / di-pole speakers.

Quote:
What I am trying to say is that a large room would afford more options in positioning a speaker to optimize it's sound. It's not that the 800d3 sounded bad in my room, it's that I preferred the sound of the 802d3 as it excited certain nodes less and had a less in your face sound that the 800d3 managed to produce as it was cleaner from the low midrange and up.

The 800d3 and 802d3 are not merely same speakers plus the bass... That's a misconception. Thus they are not to be positioned in the same spot as each other in a room.

I'm the one who had both speakers in the same room, I'm the one who had the 802d3 for a year prior to the 800d3.
no misunderstanding here Joey, 'Pops' is onboard !

Last edited by Mikado463; 10-03-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
be careful for in a general 'sense' you are wrong........example, electro static / di-pole speakers.
Understood, but my comments were not placed in a general forum. Besides, I am not a fan nor are most people as they (planars, stats, etc.) makeup the minority.

Last edited by RebelMan; 10-04-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
True there are differences some more obvious than others. But there is a defining sweet-spot that is consistent with the brand and its models regardless of the room's size. Whether they be the 802s or the 800s as long as the sweet-spot fit's, the room can be any size. The positions do not vary anywhere near to the degree that is insinuated. A few inches here or there perhaps but not feet (relative to the drivers center point).

Quote:
The comments noted were very clear.

Last edited by RebelMan; 10-03-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I should add that your quest started out with a curiosity, that being... am I missing something? Well, to be blunt, yes, you are. The 800D3 are better than the 802D3 in every way. What I fail to understand is why on Earth would you be willing to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a pair of boxes with transducers in them but NOT be willing to spend a fraction of that cost addressing the shortcomings of the room (not it's size but its architecture/interior design) to make the 800D3 work? You'ld rather "settle" for the 802D3 in an room that cooperates better with them instead? I don't get that. I do appreciate the trip you are taking but I can't help but wonder if you know where you are going. I see an enthusiast chasing his tail. Others have hinted at this by politely telling you to stop and enjoy the music. After all that's where you should be (by now), enjoying the music. Don't get lost in the technology of it all, it's just a means to an end. But if you insist then address everything that makes up the "system".
Old 10-04-2017, 10:39 PM

A couple of us have tried 800D3 as an upgrade to 802D3 and were not able to control the balance and bass. Anyone with 800D3 that experienced an upgrade ?