AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 03-10-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzr View Post
the martin logan site has some very good info on it. i have summit x & with these they say since they are active they don't need as much power to drive them. when i got them home i hooked them up to my Plinius amps, 125w bi amped & thought wow I like that. Then i put the amp in that I brought home with the speakers which was the Sanders Magtech,500w single, it took the listening field to another plane, absolute. People that have less power will tell you that it doesn't matter, well it doesn't to the point that they are happy with their set-up & that is what counts. The ones that have power on tap & have experienced the difference with similar quality gear also have knowledge of "their" sound.
Hi. I'm looking at the Magtech for use as a subwoofer amp. Could you comment on how the bass sounds? I know there's an in home demo option. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2012, 11:44 AM

I currently have the MMG's and I wanted to move up in the Maggie world. I thought about the 1.7 and the 3.7's. My listening room is small and after speaking to my dealer and Magnepan I decided the 1.7's were as big as I could go for the size of the room. I ordered them 3 weeks ago and I'm waiting for that magic phone call that says "your 1.7's are ready for pickup".
Audio Room:MC1000 Mono-Blocks, C2300 w Gold Lions, Eastern Electric DAC Plus, Magnepan 1.7,SVS SB13Plus sub, Squeezebox Touch,Rega RP1 performance,iPad2, SurgeX XS10 Portable Rig: Audeze LCD2 w custom cable, Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo, Ray Samuels SR71-B Balanced Amp, ALO Audio cables, 160GB iPod,
Old 03-10-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sperandeo View Post
I currently have the MMG's and I wanted to move up in the Maggie world. I thought about the 1.7 and the 3.7's. My listening room is small and after speaking to my dealer and Magnepan I decided the 1.7's were as big as I could go for the size of the room. I ordered them 3 weeks ago and I'm waiting for that magic phone call that says "your 1.7's are ready for pickup".
Steve,

I know the feeling. I ordered Maggie 3.7's about two weeks ago and was told it would be about five weeks. I am listening to my 1.7's right now so I'm not going though total withdrawal just yet.

~Mike
Old 03-11-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveydogg View Post
I bought a Denon AVR-1912 about 6 mos ago; the room is 20x30 feet, hardwood, 11 ft ceilings. Now to buy speakers - went to a "high end" audio store and heard some B & W speakers, Focal. Asked about Martin Logan EDL Electromotion ribbon-type speakers (which get great reviews) as well as Magnepan MMG or MG12 - all of which they sell. The guy (an obsessed audio guy) said would not buy any of these ribbon speakers with an AV receiver such as the Denon - not enough power, will sound terrible, not even barely supply the speakers.

Correct?
Davey,

Maybe not terrible, from a literal sense, but certainly far less than what the speakers are capable of when provided sufficient power. And you have a large room.

GG