AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 04-21-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTubeGuy View Post
I've enjoyed reading all the previous posts. Takes me back to about 1973, I was 4, I sneeked into my father's listening room and marveled at the two MC60s he had hooked to a Harmon Kardon Citation 1 preamp. I would turn on the power switch just to watch the tubes glow in the dark. He used AR3 speakers and a Thorens TD124 turntable and a Sony real to real....as I grew into my teens with this system. He later retired the amps and preamp for a Sansui receiver. (wow, what a step down)

I inherited the MC60s (thank goodness he kept them) and had them recently re-worked by Terry DeWick along with a MC275 I acquired later. I still listen to them and remember the first time I saw them glow.

Thanks for the memories......
Great post! Thank you!
TAD Reference One MK2 Loudspeakers, Esoteric Grandioso M1 Monoblock Amplifiers, Esoteric Grandioso C1 Linestage Preamplifier, SilenZio Music Server, Shunyata Everest 8000 x 3, Omega XC x 3, Omega QR x 2, Furutech GTX-D NCF(R) AC Receptacles
Old 04-21-2015, 06:07 PM

Hi folks,

I'm a newbie here. I also have fond memories of that double dial needle on my Dad's Mc amplifiers. To be honest, at 7 years old I was more fascinated by the 20+ toggles of my Dad's equalizer which could produce different effects.

So here I am now reminiscing about my Dad and his Mc amps, and just a couple of days ago I ordered my very first McIntosh...

Yes, thank you for the very fond memories...
Old 04-21-2015, 07:27 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

MCTubeGuy... Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 04-22-2015, 12:06 AM

Ivan i need to get my hotel locked in, rental car etc this week. Lots going on but this is not to be missed!

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 04-30-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
My brother and I would often go to the mall, just to pay visit to high end audio store. There was a "back room" that normally had its door closed, but you definitely heard something was going on inside. We always walked right in, knowing what wonders were in there.

Inside, they had a wall (well, a rack or two anyway) of Mcintosh amps and preamps. I can't for the life of me remember the brand of turntables they sold, but I do remember them using Nakamichi cassettes decks and Pioneer RT-707 and RT-909 reel-to-reels for sources (later they got the Nakamichi Dragon, damn!). I also remember only one of their speaker brands; Klipsch. The Cornwalls, the Klipschorns, and of course, the Heresy. Ever since....I've had the McIntosh bug and knew I one day would be rocking a Mcintosh!
There was one song I remember to this day that they'd play to demo the Mc equipment - Toccata by Manheim Steamroller off their Fresh Aire III album.

Last week at AXPONA, I couldn't believe my eyes...a sealed copy of the LP for $10!!! Needless to say I bought it immediately and carried it like gold for the rest of the show. When I got home, I played it right away. I literally got goose bumps from the memories and the excellent recording! I have the CD, but the LP...it sounds FANTASTIC! If you want to impress someone with your system, even yourself, make sure to play Toccata!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPdK5-Y2K0M[/ame]
Old 04-30-2015, 01:00 PM
Racing Hoopties

Duplicate
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

Last edited by crwilli; 05-19-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:13 PM

I remember back in the late 60s when I was in high school seeing McIntosh components in the stereo stores but I didn't listen critically then since it was out of my price. There were a lot of 2 channel audio stores back then. It wasn't until about 7 years ago when I was looking for more and better power that I listened to and purchased my first McIntosh product, a MC352.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Denali 6000/s V2, Altaira
Old 04-30-2015, 05:03 PM

Location: Constitution State. Formerly known as the Nutmeg State

It was about 1976. I was dating this girl, and we went to her brothers house for a picnic. I went through the awkward introductions while he and his brothers made sure enough I was good enough for their sister. That's when I heard a stereo playing in the living room. Linda Ronstad was singing When Will I Be Loved, and it was coming out of these big JBL speakers, powered by a McIntosh SS amp, preamp, and a Empire Turntable. I don't remember the models, but I do remember thinking, wow that sounds amazing. I think from then on I liked the brothers stereo more then I did the girlfriend at the time. LOL. Years later, she was gone, and I was able to get my own McIntosh gear.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:41 PM

These are some great stories, Keep em' coming.

My story starts out when I was 24. I had been in to audio for a few years but had never heard of McIntosh, even though one of my favorite things to do was to pop into a high end stores in Calgary and see what was new. I had owned some vintage Sansui gear and when one of the 2 amps I had let the "magic smoke" out I started looking for an upgrade. At the time I owned a set of Celestron Studio 66.2's and a pair of Kef Q30's as well as a ST 70 clone.

I was looking online and came across an ad for a mc2120 that had a few pictures. As I have always been a "function over form" kinda guy when I saw the Industrial looking 2120 I was hooked, so I called the phone number and arranged to come take a look.

At the time I was recovering from a motorcycle accident and was using crutches to get around, but could manage short distances on one if need be. We got to chatting as we had a few common interests at which point I saw the 2120 sitting on the Island counter. In the ad he had been asking $600 CAD, but told me that if I could put it into my car by myself he would give it to me for $50. Challenge accepted! I went to lift it off the counter and was completely shocked by the weight of this 120 watt amp!!! As I struggled to lift it and hobble to my car, he picked it up and gave me a hand to put it in... still gave it to me for $50 bucks though.

I got it home, had a friend come over and bring it in then spent the better part of the afternoon lugging the rest of my gear downstairs into my mostly empty unfinished bastment
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1c36e1a50e

Got everything hooked up and grabbed a few of my favorite Cd's and ended up sitting in the dark until about 3:30 in the morning listening. I had never heard anything so detailed, accurate and controlled out of my little Kef's (including the tube amp and the Rotel that the previous owner of the kef's had paired to them) they had plenty of low end and I was shocked how large the soundstage sounded. There was so much more presented to me from the songs that I thought I knew that it was like discovering them for the first time.

Ever since I have been a big advocate of McIntosh gear and have been slowly collecting bits and pieces over the last 8 years. I still use the 2120 regularly but have picked up a 2205 as well.

Many other things have changed/worn out, but I am going to hold on to my McIntosh for many more years...

Last edited by The G.O.A.T.; 05-13-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:36 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

The G.O.A.T.... Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES