Untitled by analog addict, on Flickr

Old 06-27-2020, 09:29 PM

Analog, what 6sn7's are those tubes on the front of the pre's?
Old 06-28-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Updyke View Post
Analog, what 6sn7's are those tubes on the front of the pre's?

I can answer that since they are both currently sitting in my living room. None are 6SN7. The pre on the left is my LP-27a and it has National Union 56 tubes in that photo. It can handle 27s and 56s. The pre on the right is the new CJ5 preamp. Which has RCA metal 6C5s outboard and Zenith st bottle 6J5s inboard. Straitwire can address to interchange of the C and J. I am not sure.

All are single med gain triodes, not dual like the 6SN/L7.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:27 AM

Are those speakers that Dennis made? If so, does he ever sell speakers? I’m using a pair of Heresy ll’s, but would be interested in a modern speaker for a different sound. I have heard that the open baffle speakers are something to hear.

Last edited by Updyke; 06-28-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:37 AM

Hey bearcity, I hope you're enjoying the new CJ5 preamp.
To answer your question, 6C5's in the input stage and 6J5's in the buffer stage seems to be the way to go, but either way is fine.
Both 6C5's and 6J5's in metal or glass are readily available, very affordable, and sound fantastic.
I bought some metal RCA's, GE's, and Westinghouse's in matched pairs for $12-$15 apiece including shipping.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:50 PM

How does the new cj preamp compare to the lp3.1
Old 06-28-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Updyke View Post
Are those speakers that Dennis made? If so, does he ever sell speakers? I’m using a pair of Heresy ll’s, but would be interested in a modern speaker for a different sound. I have heard that the open baffle speakers are something to hear.

Updyke,

The open baffles are from Analog’s collection. I am sure he can tell you all about them. The single driver horn is a speaker I just made. Dennis and I have been loving our Madisound bk-12 so I made us each a pair or these larger brothers. A therapeutic exorcise during the stay home/safe period. I was finally able to deliver them as you see in the photo’s. These were really a fun project but not likely an addition to the Inspire line.

Now, as for open baffles, Analog and Dennis worked up a speaker a while back which there are some picts floating around. A very nice sound and quite complementary to the Inspire line. Again, Analog can elaborate. We are also discussing a open baffle design using a Great Planes driver. I’ll keep you posted on any further developments on that project.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcity View Post
Updyke,

The open baffles are from Analog’s collection. I am sure he can tell you all about them. The single driver horn is a speaker I just made. Dennis and I have been loving our Madisound bk-12 so I made us each a pair or these larger brothers. A therapeutic exorcise during the stay home/safe period. I was finally able to deliver them as you see in the photo’s. These were really a fun project but not likely an addition to the Inspire line.

Now, as for open baffles, Analog and Dennis worked up a speaker a while back which there are some picts floating around. A very nice sound and quite complementary to the Inspire line. Again, Analog can elaborate. We are also discussing a open baffle design using a Great Planes driver. I’ll keep you posted on any further developments on that project.
Bear, thanks for your reply. We are neighbors, as we both live in NC. (Greensboro)

Those open baffle speakers look absolutely beautiful! Analog, I am drooling over my keyboard. I have never heard them with an SET(really never period), so I am so curious as to how they differ from the Heresy's.

I talked at length to Steve Deckert of Decware. He highly recommended the Betsy open baffled speaker from Randy of Caintuck Audio for my Inspire 45 set. You can see them on the speaker section of Decware.com. Have you heard of them?
Old 06-29-2020, 12:39 AM

Question again about the power switch....theres some lacquer or clearcoat sealing the nut for the switch. Is there a way to remove this without damaging the finish? Or is there a specific type of toggle switch that is secured by those metal prongs?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200628_213407.jpg (90.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200628_213015.jpg (87.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 06-29-2020, 09:00 AM

Hey ismelllikepoop, that's epoxy.
It looks to me like you are going to have to carefully rotate what is left of the switch on the inside of the chassis with needle nose pliers of the right size.
This should back it out of the knurled nut on the outside of the chassis.
The epoxy sticks to the powder coat enough to keep components from turning but it can still be broken free if enough force is applied because it doesn't penetrate the powder coats surface.
To install the new switch you will need to place the knurled nut in the faceplate hole and turn the switch body from the inside of the chassis with the faceted nut on the inside clocked to the proper depth.
Don't use any tools on the outside of the chassis or you might damage the faceplate.
Is the new switch you bought exactly like the broken switch or is its body different?
If you want you can ship it to me and I can do this for you no charge, you just pay shipping.